- Messi fails again with Argentina's national team Updated: Jul-04-15 10:12 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Lionel Messi has come up short again in his attempt to succeed with Argentina's national team.
- Chile beats Argentina 4-1 on penalties to win Copa America Updated: Jul-04-15 7:57 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The wait is finally over for Chile. The title drought has ended.
- NBC returns to NASCAR coverage with Sunday race at Daytona Updated: Jul-04-15 6:36 pm
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - For 29 years, the summer race at Daytona International Speedway was a part of the nation's birthday.
- US files formal extradition request for 7 FIFA officials Updated: Jul-02-15 7:22 am
GENEVA - The United States has submitted a formal request for Switzerland to extradite seven FIFA officials arrested in Zurich as part of a corruption probe that has rocked soccer's world governing body.
- Brazil to ask former coaches to help improve local football Updated: Jul-01-15 4:06 pm
SAO PAULO - The Brazilian football confederation will summon former national team coaches to help find ways of improving football in the country after a series of disappointing results.
- Striker Robinho leaves Brazilian club to play in China Updated: Jul-01-15 12:48 am
SAO PAULO - Veteran Brazil striker Robinho said Tuesday that he is leaving Brazilian club Santos and will reportedly play in China for Guangzhou Evergrande, now coached by Luiz Felipe Scolari.
- UEFA tells Spanish league to accept 2022 World Cup dates Updated: Jun-30-15 9:37 am
PRAGUE - UEFA told the Spanish league on Tuesday to stop challenging the decision to move the dates of the World Cup in 2022 to November-December.
- FIFA ousts Barbados from World Cup for ineligible player Updated: Jun-29-15 12:03 pm
ZURICH - Barbados has been eliminated from the 2018 World Cup qualifying tournament for fielding an ineligible player, giving beaten opponent Aruba a reprieve to advance instead.
- Czech football great Josef Masopust dies at 84 Updated: Jun-29-15 9:20 am
PRAGUE - Czech football great Josef Masopust, who led the national side to the final of the 1962 World Cup, has died aged 84.
- Argentina leads final 4 in Copa America semifinals Updated: Jun-28-15 5:24 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The Copa America semifinals are again missing a local favorite.
- Spanish league appeals FIFA switch of 2022 World Cup dates Updated: Jun-28-15 4:50 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The Spanish football league is challenging FIFA's to switch the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to November-December.
- Brazil faces uncertainty after another disappointing defeat Updated: Jun-28-15 10:33 am
SAO PAULO - It just keeps getting worse for Brazil's national team.
- Paraguay again eliminates Brazil in Copa America quarters Updated: Jun-28-15 12:14 am
CONCEPCION, Chile - Paraguay defeated Brazil 4-3 in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw on Saturday to advance to the semifinals of the Copa America, handing the five-time world champions yet another disappointment a year after the humiliating World Cup elimination at home.
- Blatter: 'Liberating' to leave FIFA, expects 2016 election Updated: Jun-27-15 9:18 am
GENEVA - Sepp Blatter says his decision to leave FIFA was "liberating" and he expects the election to replace him will be in early 2016.
- Ghana FA to challenge report on World Cup money Updated: Jun-27-15 5:26 am
ACCRA, Ghana - The Ghana Football Association will challenge some of the findings of an inquiry which questioned how over $3.5 million meant for the team's preparations for last year's World Cup was used.
- Opposition: SAfrican soccer officials shielded from scrutiny Updated: Jun-25-15 2:14 am
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - South African soccer officials are being deliberately shielded from scrutiny over FIFA-related bribery allegations surrounding the country's successful 2010 World Cup bid, an opposition politician said Wednesday.
- Host Chile beats Uruguay to reach Copa America semifinals Updated: Jun-25-15 1:33 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Chile's hopes of winning its home Copa America sharply improved with a 1-0 win over defending champion Uruguay on Wednesday.
- India loses out as Asia teams turn to overseas soccer talent Updated: Jun-24-15 9:51 pm
When a country with a population of 180,000 is victorious over a nation of more than a billion in the football arena, it would normally be classed as a shock.
- First World Cup, now also F1 for Qatar? Updated: Jun-24-15 1:48 pm
PARIS - Not content with hosting the 2022 World Cup, Qatar is now also exploring the idea of buying Formula One, another big step in its use of the global appeal of sports to put itself firmly on the map.
- Senegal rewards U20 World Cup semifinalists with over $400K Updated: Jun-24-15 6:02 am
DAKAR, Senegal - The Senegal government says it will reward the under-20 soccer squad with over $400,000 for reaching the semifinals in its first appearance at the World Cup.
- Klinsmann picks 17 of 23 World Cup vets for Gold Cup Updated: Jun-23-15 4:12 pm
CHICAGO - The U.S. roster for next month's CONCACAF Gold Cup will look a lot like the American team at last year's World Cup.
- Maradona's road to FIFA presidency filled with obstacles Updated: Jun-22-15 3:05 pm
If Diego Maradona is serious about running for the FIFA presidency, he still has a lot of work to do just to get on the ballot.
- Messi vs. James again - now in Copa America quarterfinals Updated: Jun-22-15 2:36 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Lionel Messi and James Rodriguez are about to meet again. They've left their clubs behind - Barcelona and Real Madrid - and this time Messi is wearing Argentina's blue and white and Rodriguez the red, blue and yellow of Colombia.
- Nigeria federation: Keshi will honor 2-year contract Updated: Jun-22-15 11:09 am
ABUJA, Nigeria - The Nigeria Football Federation said it has been assured that coach Stephen Keshi will honor his two-year contract despite being named as a candidate to take charge of African champion Ivory Coast.
- Neymar out of Copa America after Brazil accepts his ban Updated: Jun-22-15 10:17 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Neymar will play no further part in the Copa America after Brazil chose to accept the four-match suspension handed to its captain and star player following his red card in the group stage.