- AP Source: Lack of written contract led to FIFA suspensions Updated: Oct-12-15 5:33 pm
ZURICH - The toppling of soccer's most powerful and recognizable leaders may have been sealed when FIFA President Sepp Blatter agreed to pay Michel Platini, the head of European soccer, 2 million Swiss francs (about $2 million) in 2011.
- Loss to Mexico punctuates a rough year for US soccer Updated: Oct-11-15 4:29 pm
PASADENA, California - The American Outlaws and their fellow U.S. soccer fans were louder, rowdier and more numerous than they were four years ago for their team's last clash with Mexico at the Rose Bowl.
- Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania progress in World Cup qualifying Updated: Oct-11-15 2:07 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania progressed to the second round of World Cup qualifying in Africa on Sunday.
- El Shaarawy ends drought as Italy qualifies for Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-10-15 4:42 pm
Stephan El Shaarawy ended a three-year drought by scoring the winning goal as Italy beat Azerbaijan 3-1 Saturday to qualify for next year's European Championship.
- Argentina forward Aguero will miss next World Cup qualifier Updated: Oct-09-15 3:36 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Sergio Aguero will miss Argentina's World Cup qualifier against Paraguay next week with a left-leg injury.
- Brazil loses without Neymar; Argentina falls with no Messi Updated: Oct-08-15 10:25 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil showed Thursday it can't win against the best without Barcelona star Neymar, losing 2-0 at Chile as qualifying in South America opened for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- The Latest: Hayatou says Platini can be credible candidate Updated: Oct-08-15 2:13 pm
ZURICH - The Latest from the FIFA investigation (all time local):
- Practicing in a car park: WCup qualifying for Somalia's team Updated: Oct-08-15 12:24 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - While revelations swirl of FIFA executives in expensive suits taking millions in bribes to award money-spinning World Cups, some of the poorest teams face near-impossible challenges to make it to soccer's biggest tournament, and try their hearts out anyway.
- South Sudan WCup qualifying debut ends day later in 1-1 draw Updated: Oct-08-15 10:17 am
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudan earned a draw in its World Cup qualifying debut, holding Mauritania to 1-1 Thursday, a day after the game began and was then abandoned because of heavy rain.
- North Korea's perfect qualifying record ends with 0-0 draw Updated: Oct-08-15 6:05 am
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea's perfect record in World Cup qualifying came to an end Thursday after being held to a 0-0 draw by the Philippines.
- No Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Rodriguez as qualifying opens Updated: Oct-07-15 3:48 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez and James Rodriguez will all be missing when 2018 World Cup qualifying gets underway in South America on Thursday.
- After defying quit calls, Blatter mediates between FAs Updated: Oct-06-15 6:54 pm
ZURICH - After defying pleas from FIFA sponsors to quit immediately, President Sepp Blatter is continuing regular business at soccer's governing body, presiding over a dispute between football federations on Tuesday.
- Japan under pressure in Asian World Cup qualification Updated: Oct-06-15 6:51 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - On a night of big games in Asia, Japan will be under the most pressure as a defeat to Syria in their 2018 World Cup qualifier on Thursday would cast doubt on its chances of making it to Russia.
- South Sudan starts unlikely quest to reach 2018 World Cup Updated: Oct-06-15 3:20 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - A month after celebrating its first win in a competitive game, South Sudan will make its debut in World Cup qualifying on Wednesday as Africa's lowest-ranked countries begin their quests to reach soccer's biggest tournament.
- Chung says he is facing lengthy FIFA suspension Updated: Oct-06-15 3:00 am
SEOUL, South Korea - FIFA presidential contender Chung Mong-joon said Tuesday he is facing a 19-year suspension by the ethics committee of the world football body for alleged ethics breaches surrounding South Korea's failed bid for the 2022 World Cup, and also for openly criticizing the committee.
- Fire breaks out at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow Updated: Oct-05-15 7:46 am
MOSCOW - A small fire has broken out at the Luzhniki Stadium, the venue for the 2018 World Cup final.
- Neymar to miss 2 qualifiers after court rejects appeal Updated: Oct-02-15 7:06 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Sport's highest court has rejected Brazil's attempt to overturn Neymar's ban from two World Cup qualifiers.
- Scolari pays $3.4M back taxes from time as Portugal coach Updated: Sep-30-15 2:24 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Luiz Felipe Scolari has paid 3 million euros ($3.4 million) in back taxes from when he was Portugal coach between 2003 and 2007, the Portuguese authorities have announced.
- Russia lacks hotels for 2018 World Cup, minister says Updated: Sep-29-15 3:06 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko says a lack of hotel accommodation for teams and officials is a major problem facing 2018 World Cup organizers.
- Swiss agree to extradite Costa Rican to US in FIFA case Updated: Sep-29-15 10:21 am
BERN, Switzerland - Switzerland's justice ministry on Tuesday granted an American request to extradite former Costa Rican soccer federation president Eduardo Li in the FIFA bribery case.
- Allies to antagonists: Blatter and Platini await FIFA fates Updated: Sep-27-15 1:30 pm
ZURICH - Before protege turned protagonist, Michel Platini was inseparable from Sepp Blatter, as if they had a telepathic partnership on a football field.
- Barcelona's Messi tears knee ligament, out 7-8 weeks Updated: Sep-26-15 5:09 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona faces two long months without Lionel Messi after its star forward tore a ligament in his left knee during the defending champion's Spanish league match against Las Palmas on Saturday.
- FIFA picks Nov. 21 as kickoff for 28-day World Cup in Qatar Updated: Sep-25-15 9:12 am
ZURICH - The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will start on Monday, Nov. 21, kicking off a 28-day tournament that will finish on Sunday, Dec. 18.
- Swiss prosecutor asks FIFA to hand over Valcke's emails Updated: Sep-23-15 1:39 pm
ZURICH - FIFA has been urged by Switzerland's attorney general to hand over emails used by Jerome Valcke, its secretary general who was suspended last week.
- Jedinak out for next World Cup qualifier against Jordan Updated: Sep-22-15 10:12 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Captain Mile Jedinak has been left off Australia's squad for its Oct. 8 World Cup qualifier against Jordan, but Trent Sainsbury, James Troisi and Tomi Juric have returned from injury to be included on the team.