- 94-year-old Navajo Code Talker's home gets major facelift Updated: Feb-13-16 10:26 pm
TUBA CITY, Arizona - A Navajo Code Talker who was forced out of the home he built 60 years ago when it fell into disrepair is settling back in thanks to some extensive renovations done by volunteers.
- Number of children abused by Md. school volunteer up to 16 Updated: Feb-13-16 7:00 pm
UPPER MARLBORO, Maryland - Prince George's County police say the number of children allegedly sexually abused by an elementary school volunteer has increased from 12 to 16.
- The Villages growth gets closer to Lake Griffin State Park Updated: Feb-13-16 2:11 pm
FRUITLAND PARK, Florida - The mushrooming growth of The Villages continues to creep closer to an oasis among the rooftops, Lake Griffin State Park.
- Stone barn in Filley seeks new volunteers after restorations Updated: Feb-13-16 10:44 am
FILLEY, Nebraska - The future of the historical Filley Stone Barn in Filley includes new flooring and new trees this year and, hopefully, more volunteers and new ideas, an overseer for the site said.
- Suspected police impersonator in Malcom is a false alarm Updated: Feb-12-16 5:32 pm
MALCOM, Nebraska - The Lancaster County Sheriff's Office says a man mistaken to be impersonating a law enforcement officer was actually a volunteer firefighter investigating a car fire in Malcolm.
- Group from country of Georgia to visit with Red Cross staff Updated: Feb-12-16 4:05 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Visitors from the country of Georgia are meeting with members of the American Red Cross in New Hampshire to discuss youth volunteerism.
- Work begins to extend Bonton Farm in Dallas, more jobs, food Updated: Feb-11-16 6:58 pm
DALLAS - It came slow and thick like molasses down a metal tube.
- Lawsuit: Principal was warned about volunteer's behavior Updated: Feb-11-16 5:43 pm
GLENARDEN, Maryland - A lawsuit filed against a public school system in Maryland claims that the predatory behavior of a volunteer, who is now facing criminal charges, was known by students and teachers and even reported to the school's principal.
- Water stations along Mexico border vandalized, shot Updated: Feb-11-16 5:08 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - A humanitarian group in southern Arizona says six of its eight water stations for migrants crossing the Sonoran Desert have been vandalized, including one that was shot at and had the carcass of a coyote next to it.
- The Latest: Red Cross opens shelter for displaced residents Updated: Feb-11-16 1:57 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on a fire at a Phoenix apartment complex (all times local):
- C&O Canal program puts park advocates aboard Amtrak trains Updated: Feb-11-16 4:46 am
- Man killed in Alaska police shooting was lawmaker's nephew Updated: Feb-10-16 7:03 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A volunteer fire official who died in an officer-involved shooting in a northern Alaska community was the nephew of a state lawmaker.
- Tourism commission chooses western Nebraska sites for revamp Updated: Feb-10-16 2:41 pm
SCOTTSBLUFF, Nebraska - The state's tourism commission has selected two sites in western Nebraska to benefit from a new volunteer program.
- Fort Wayne zoo seeks volunteer toad, frog trackers Updated: Feb-10-16 8:16 am
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - The Fort Wayne Children's Zoo is looking for volunteers as part of an effort to track frog and toad species.
- Super Bowl Minnesota delegation picks up tips in California Updated: Feb-10-16 8:16 am
MINNEAPOLIS - A delegation from the Minnesota Super Bowl Host Committee has returned from California with the realization that there's much to be done before the big game comes to town in a couple years.
- Once-a-year homeless count draws criticism, defenders Updated: Feb-09-16 4:29 pm
NEW YORK - Over the past few weeks, thousands of clipboard-toting volunteers have fanned out across some of the nation's largest cities, tasked with a deceptively complex job: counting the number of homeless people sleeping on the streets.
- Foster Care Review Boards calling for volunteers Updated: Feb-08-16 4:10 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Kentucky is calling for volunteers for its Citizen Foster Care Review Boards, which work with the courts to ensure the state's foster children are placed in permanent homes as quickly as possible.
- College athletes volunteer to help Flint amid water crisis Updated: Feb-05-16 7:37 pm
FLINT, Michigan - College athletes are among those volunteering to help Flint amid the city's crisis with lead-tainted drinking water.
- Volunteers work to rebuild forest damaged in 2012 fire Updated: Feb-05-16 7:33 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - A group of volunteers is helping to restore the Hikimoe Ridge, three years after the forest was damaged in a fire that burned several thousand acres on Kauai.
- Vandals destroy 125 newly planted trees in Eugene Updated: Feb-05-16 3:30 am
EUGENE, Oregon - More than 125 trees recently planted by volunteers along Amazon Creek in Eugene have been ripped out of the ground and thrown into the water by vandals.
- Redding firefighter retires after 5 decades with department Updated: Feb-04-16 5:05 am
REDDING, Indiana - Fifty years is a long time to stay with one job.
- Interim sheriff: Reserve deputy program's return undecided Updated: Feb-04-16 12:26 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - The fate of an Oklahoma county's reserve deputy program is still undecided after a member fatally shot an unarmed man last April, the agency's third sheriff in four months said Wednesday.
- Ex-officer rejects deal to let him keep K-9 but work unpaid Updated: Feb-03-16 3:15 pm
MARIETTA, Ohio - A recently retired police officer says he has rejected an offer from the southeastern Ohio city where he worked that would allow him to keep his K-9 partner Ajax if he agrees to work on a volunteer basis, according to news media reports.
- Trone: 3 fired after staffers pose as opponents' volunteers Updated: Feb-03-16 9:45 am
BETHESDA, Maryland - David Trone says he has fired two staffers and a supervisor for his recently launched congressional campaign after the staffers posed as volunteers for his opponents.
- Dozens of Coloradans volunteer to stamp Valentine mail Updated: Feb-02-16 7:27 pm
LOVELAND, Colorado - Snowy weather and travel warnings can't delay love.