- Historic Stuckey's Bridge to get fresh coat of paint Updated: May-27-16 6:24 am
QUITMAN, Mississippi - An historic wooden bridge spanning the Chunky River in Clarke County is getting a fresh coat of paint Saturday because of recent vandalism.
- More volunteers sought at Greenbrier Classic Updated: May-27-16 5:35 am
WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, West Virginia - The Greenbrier Classic's free ticket giveaway has prompted officials to look for more volunteers to help this year's golf tournament run smoothly.
- Gates leaves Boy Scouts presidency, defends gay adult policy Updated: May-26-16 8:03 pm
DALLAS - Robert Gates became the Boy Scouts of America's president facing deep divisions within the organization's membership over whether to let gays serve openly in its ranks.
- Tennessee plans to bring back Serrano for 6th season Updated: May-26-16 1:19 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee baseball coach Dave Serrano will have another year to try getting the Volunteers back up the Southeastern Conference standings.
- Ohio school, township simulate active shooter for training Updated: May-25-16 5:26 pm
WEST CHESTER, Ohio - Young actors, some with limbs and clothes appearing to be blood-covered, ran screaming out of a school building with sounds of blank ammunition gunfire popping behind them Wednesday as a suburban school district and township authorities in southwest Ohio trained for the nightmare scenario of a shooter on a rampage.
- Loon population strong in Wisconsin Updated: May-23-16 3:55 pm
ASHLAND, Wisconsin - Recent results from a volunteer survey of loons show that the aquatic bird species' population is strong in Wisconsin.
- NC arts advocacy group needs volunteer puppeteers Updated: May-23-16 6:17 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Calling all puppeteers!
- Peace Corps coming to Vietnam for first time Updated: May-22-16 11:02 pm
HANOI, Vietnam - The Peace Corps is at last coming to Vietnam.
- Group surveys Skagit County's herons Updated: May-22-16 3:02 am
MARCH POINT, Washington - From a beach on east March Point, Sue Ehler scanned the shallow waters of an ebbing Padilla Bay, tallying the number of great blue herons standing in the eelgrass beds.
- Volunteers help clean up part of Muskegon Lake shoreline Updated: May-21-16 4:28 pm
MUSKEGON, Michigan - About 100 volunteers helped clean part of the Muskegon Lake shoreline in western Michigan.
- Wanted: Volunteers to clean up Cleveland for GOP convention Updated: May-21-16 9:32 am
CLEVELAND - Officials in Cleveland are looking for volunteers to spruce up the city before the Republican National Convention rolls into town in mid-July.
- Flowers in quilt designs almost ready for Elkhart display Updated: May-20-16 4:08 pm
ELKHART, Indiana - A rainbow of about 150,000 annual plants is being delivered to 19 sites this month to make up the ninth annual Quilt Gardens display.
- Scientists, volunteers to tally species in national parks Updated: May-20-16 12:37 am
WASHINGTON - Scientists and volunteers will be heading out to national parks in the Washington area and around the country to discover and document the species that live inside them.
- Volunteer group to devise Bon Homme County feedlot proposal Updated: May-18-16 7:57 am
TYNDALL, South Dakota - Opponents in the debate over animal feedlot regulations in Bon Homme County are building a volunteer group to try to negotiate a compromise.
- Some West Virginia state parks seeking volunteer hosts Updated: May-17-16 1:17 am
SOUTH CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The state Division of Natural Resources is looking for volunteers to help at state campgrounds this summer.
- Volunteer coach charged with sex offense against 15-year-old Updated: May-16-16 8:11 pm
CUMBERLAND, Maryland - Cumberland Police have charged a former volunteer high school track coach with committing sex offenses against a 15-year-old member of the team.
- The Latest: Better access coming at Orleans magistrate court Updated: May-16-16 11:53 am
NEW ORLEANS - The Latest on a volunteer group's call for better public and media access to New Orleans magistrate court (all times local):
- Walking school bus brings fun, safety to elementary students Updated: May-15-16 11:35 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - It was a bus without walls, windows, seats or even wheels.
- Morgan mother serves as foster parent, advocates for others Updated: May-15-16 10:54 am
HARTSELLE, Alabama - The calls come at all hours of the day and night, waking the woman from sleep, interrupting her prayers at church and pulling her away from school events. The most recent call came on a recent Saturday, hours before her daughter's senior prom.
- Volunteers to go on 'patrol' for Utah petroglyphs Updated: May-15-16 5:56 am
ST. GEORGE, Utah - Residents in southwestern Utah are standing watch over some of the area's most ancient rock art sites.
- Planned Parenthood trains volunteers for election campaign Updated: May-14-16 5:31 pm
PITTSBURGH - Planned Parenthood is vowing an army of volunteers to campaign for Hillary Clinton and other candidates in this year's election and against restrictions on abortion rights.
- Volunteers needed to help cottontail's habitat Updated: May-14-16 12:40 pm
BARRINGTON, New Hampshire - Volunteers are being sought to help restore habitat for the endangered New England cottontail rabbit.
- Refugee mentors fill family roles Updated: May-14-16 11:08 am
TWIN FALLS, Idaho - Beatrice Bahati warmed herself in the sun at a park Feb. 16, the first day pleasant enough to hint at the return of spring to Twin Falls.
- Seattleites help Syrian refugees here and overseas Updated: May-14-16 3:05 am
SEATTLE - Su Olsen did not know where she was going, though she was leaving in a week. It would be somewhere in Greece, she knew that much. The 70-year-old jewelry maker from Bainbridge Island had been so moved upon reading about the refugees flooding there from Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East that she decided she had to help, in person, the Seattle Times reported (http://bit.ly/23HP3Bb).
- Preliminary hearing set in volunteer fire company theft case Updated: May-13-16 5:18 pm
DOVER, Delaware - A preliminary hearing has been set for a former volunteer fire company treasurer accused of stealing more than $190,000.