- Christmas CD, medical bracelets, more found in beach cleanup Updated: Apr-30-16 4:35 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A Christmas songs CD, medical bracelets and a golf ball are some of the items that volunteers found after sweeping across dozens of Jersey shore beaches as part of an environmental group's cleanup program.
- Fargo looking for volunteers to help during Cleanup Week Updated: Apr-30-16 11:22 am
FARGO, North Dakota - Fargo is looking for volunteers to help spruce up the community by picking up litter in residential neighborhoods and public spaces.
- Volunteer fire assistance program grants to open soon Updated: Apr-29-16 7:15 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - The South Dakota Department of Agriculture says it will soon be looking for grant applications for the Volunteer Fire Assistance program.
- Danes face smuggling charges for giving migrants a lift Updated: Apr-27-16 6:14 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Already under fire for ordering police to seize jewelry from asylum-seekers, Denmark is seeing its humanitarian credentials once again being questioned as it presses smuggling charges against people who gave migrants a ride to neighboring Sweden.
- Colorado Editorial Roundup Updated: Apr-27-16 5:25 am
The Aurora Sentinel, April 20, on Colorado schools having Native American mascots and names:
- Effects of hunger relieved by efforts of volunteers Updated: Apr-27-16 5:05 am
RICHMOND, Indiana - Second-grade teacher Jana Angelucci sees the effects of hunger on her students.
- Volunteer firefighter accused of arson in northern Illinois Updated: Apr-26-16 11:58 am
FREEPORT, Illinois - A 20-year-old volunteer firefighter is accused of setting several fires in northern Illinois.
- Horse rescues draw attention in deadly Houston-area storms Updated: Apr-26-16 11:51 am
HOUSTON - Darolyn Butler spent about 18 hours in and out of the swirling floodwaters of Cypress Creek last Monday, April 18, trying to rescue 75 drowning horses in her care.
- UVM lab hosts volunteers assisting in Ecuador relief effort Updated: Apr-26-16 4:44 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - While humanitarian workers descended upon Ecuador after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake rocked the country, volunteers were busy helping relief efforts at a University of Vermont computer lab.
- Human skull uncovered in New Jersey during Earth Day cleanup Updated: Apr-25-16 12:01 pm
PENNSAUKEN, New Jersey - An Earth Day effort to clean up a trash-ridden New Jersey river took a grisly turn when a volunteer uncovered a human skull.
- Volunteer fire chief in Williston steps away from position Updated: Apr-24-16 12:35 pm
WILLISTON, North Dakota - A volunteer fire chief in Williston has decided to step away from the position in favor of the next generation.
- After-prom parties aim to deter Nebraska teens from trouble Updated: Apr-23-16 11:05 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - Trent Steele put on his wet suit.
- Volunteers sought for Vermont conservation camp cleanups Updated: Apr-23-16 8:41 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife is seeking volunteers to help people get the Green Mountain Conservation Camps ready for the summer season.
- Wayne State athletes to give toiletry kits to homeless Updated: Apr-22-16 2:04 am
DETROIT - Wayne State University athletes and volunteers are set to distribute toiletry kits to homeless people in Detroit.
- Volunteer fire companies seek new recruits this weekend Updated: Apr-22-16 12:49 am
ALBANY, New York - Volunteer fire departments across the state will open their doors this weekend in hopes of recruiting new members.
- Volunteers planning smoke detector blitz in Sioux City Updated: Apr-21-16 9:48 am
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - Volunteers will fan out across some Sioux City neighborhoods later this month to install hundreds of smoke detectors.
- Foul play suspected after human remains found in Honolulu Updated: Apr-18-16 10:20 am
HONOLULU - Honolulu police say they suspect foul play in the death of an unidentified person whose decomposed body was found by a group of volunteers cleaning up a steep hillside area.
- Should Iowa hospital keep names of volunteers secret? Updated: Apr-18-16 10:10 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Public Information Board is scheduled to decide whether to take action against a county hospital for not releasing the names of its volunteers.
- Maine looking for anglers to survey brook trout Updated: Apr-18-16 12:30 am
FALMOUTH, Maine - Maine's wildlife department and a pair of outdoors organizations are looking for volunteer fishermen to help survey the state's ponds and coastal streams for brook trout.
- Volunteers help clean up park's old chapel after flood Updated: Apr-17-16 7:43 pm
VINTON, Louisiana - Dozens of volunteers cleaned flood damage at a Vinton park where parts of a chapel date back to the 1870s and a Civil War encampment once stood.
- Centennial Tree Program gives Birmingham's forests a boost Updated: Apr-17-16 10:01 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Even in some of the more developed parts of Birmingham, there are dozens if not hundreds of trees that have been around longer than the city itself.
- Volunteers get hands dirty for Blacks Run cleanup Updated: Apr-16-16 3:27 pm
HARRISONBURG, Virginia - Mary Jane Rohrer braved the cold weather and sifted through a stream near Waterman Drive on the morning of April 9, scooping out trash as part of the 19th annual Blacks Run Cleanup.
- Volunteers prepare to protect endangered monk seal pups Updated: Apr-16-16 2:51 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - Volunteers on Kauai will take steps to protect endangered monk seal pups expected to be born in the coming months.
- Volunteers needed to help clean up Rock Creek Updated: Apr-16-16 11:47 am
WASHINGTON - Volunteers are needed to help keep the area along Rock Creek clean.
- Georgians travel to front lines of refugee crisis Updated: Apr-16-16 11:23 am
ATLANTA - The blank expressions on the Syrian refugee children's faces have stayed with Bill Hampton.