- Study: Many cancer patients could be spared brain radiation Updated: May-31-15 1:39 pm
CHICAGO - A major study could change care for many of the hundreds of thousands of people each year who have cancer that spreads to the brain from other sites. Contrary to conventional wisdom, radiation therapy to the whole brain did not improve survival, and it harmed memory, speech and thinking skills, doctors found.
- Free clinic offered for people without dental insurance Updated: May-30-15 9:34 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Volunteer dentists and hygienists are holding a clinic to offer free dental work to Rhode Islanders without dental insurance.
- Kentucky editorial roundup Updated: May-27-15 1:02 pm
Recent editorials from Kentucky newspapers:
- Audit questions Medicaid billing by 335 California dentists Updated: May-18-15 12:29 am
LOS ANGELES - A California dentist who treats children under Medicaid billed for more than 1,000 services a day for almost 100 days in 2012. Another provided 33 procedures - including multiple stainless steel crowns and baby root canals - to a 4-year-old during a visit. Another received an extremely high payment per child - $699 compared with a statewide average payment of $166 per child.
- Scottsville woman with cancer believes prayer saved her life Updated: May-16-15 2:36 pm
SCOTTSVILLE, Kentucky - Diane Johnson believes prayer healed her from stage IV throat cancer.
- Advocates push lawmakers to help social programs in budget Updated: May-15-15 8:09 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - As California lawmakers begin drilling into Gov. Jerry Brown's $115 billion budget proposal, Democrats and social welfare advocates say they see many areas that need even more funding to make up for deep cuts during the recession.
- Minnesota's dental reimbursement effort likely to fall short Updated: May-11-15 5:46 pm
MANKATO, Minnesota - A push to make it easier for dentists to be reimbursed for treating patients with state insurance in Minnesota looks like it will succeed at the Capitol, but not by as much as advocates hoped.
- LSU Health New Orleans free screening for oral cancer Friday Updated: May-07-15 6:34 am
NEW ORLEANS - LSU Health New Orleans faculty and medical students will hold a free oral cancer screening Friday at the Daughters of Charity Health Center on South Carrollton Avenue. It will be first come, first served, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Group launches preventive dental care pilot for Va. seniors Updated: May-04-15 2:07 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The Virginia Dental Association has launched an effort to improve the dental health of seniors living in long-term care facilities.