- Questions in Lebanon over protesters' end game Updated: Sep-01-15 4:19 pm
BEIRUT - Lebanese security forces and protesters engaged in a drawn-out standoff outside a ministry that was briefly taken over by activists Tuesday, reflecting both reluctance by authorities to decisively crack down and a lack of focus by protesters - who are determined but lacking a clear path to success.
- Protests spotlight Lebanon dysfunction, but reforms elusive Updated: Sep-01-15 9:27 am
BEIRUT - Anti-government demonstrators in Lebanon have staged three large rallies in the past two weeks and a small group Tuesday stormed the environment ministry to press demands for reform. Here's a look at what's behind the protests, the most significant public expression of frustration with Lebanon's dysfunctional system of government in years.
- Hartselle mayor to step down over cheating website Updated: Sep-01-15 7:34 am
HARTSELLE, Alabama - The mayor of Hartselle will resign effective Dec. 1, a decision announced after city officials scheduled a meeting to discuss whether he had used the adultery website Ashley Madison.
- Ohio governor appoints replacement for convicted judge Updated: Aug-31-15 10:56 am
ELYRIA, Ohio - The governor has appointed a replacement for a northeast Ohio judge who was convicted on charges of tampering with records and falsification.
- Najib vows not to quit as Malaysia marks National Day Updated: Aug-31-15 1:16 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's prime minister vowed he would not quit over a $700-million financial scandal, and accused protesters of showing "poor national spirit" by holding a massive rally to demand his resignation on the eve of the country's National Day on Monday.
- Hancock Fabrics looks for new chief financial officer Updated: Aug-30-15 6:49 pm
BALDWYN, Mississippi - For the third time since 2012, Hancock Fabrics Inc. is looking for a chief financial officer.
- Lottery secretary's success dwarfed by some work practices Updated: Aug-29-15 9:19 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - When it came to the bottom line, there's no question that Florida Lottery Secretary Cynthia O'Connell was a success.
- The Latest: Lebanese group threaten to escalate protests Updated: Aug-29-15 2:56 pm
BEIRUT - Here are the latest developments regarding Lebanon's protest over the country's ongoing trash crisis (all times local):
- Dem chairwoman calls on GOP lawmaker to resign over EPA fine Updated: Aug-28-15 6:50 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - State Democratic Party Chairwoman Mary Mancini on Friday called on Republican state Rep. Andy Holt to resign over alleged environmental violations at his northwestern Tennessee hog farm.
- Arizona lawmaker to lead Nevada anti-school bullying program Updated: Aug-28-15 4:33 pm
PHOENIX - Nevada education officials have tapped an Arizona lawmaker to run a new anti-bullying program championed by Gov. Brian Sandoval.
- Metro derailment caused by equipment failure, human error Updated: Aug-28-15 2:20 pm
WASHINGTON - Metro says the derailment of an empty train in downtown Washington earlier this month was caused by a combination of equipment failure and human error.
- Williamson mayor, 2 other city officials resign Updated: Aug-28-15 6:20 am
WILLIAMSON, West Virginia - Williamson Mayor Steve Knopp and two other city officials are stepping down.
- Guatemalan ex-vice president held during corruption trial Updated: Aug-26-15 3:02 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A judge ordered Guatemala's former vice president to remain in jail Wednesday while she stands trial on charges of conspiracy, customs fraud and bribery, based on allegations that she accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of the scandal that forced her from office.
- Sidney council accepts city manager's resignation Updated: Aug-26-15 12:08 pm
SIDNEY, Nebraska - The council has accepted the resignation of the longtime Sidney city manager.
- Iowa lawmaker to resign for top job at electric cooperative Updated: Aug-25-15 6:52 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An Iowa lawmaker who heads a committee overseeing government spending says he will resign from the legislature to become a top executive for an electric cooperative.
- Staffer re-hired after senator accused of harassment resigns Updated: Aug-25-15 5:51 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri Senate staff member was back at work Tuesday, a month after being fired by a senator who was facing allegations of sexually harassing interns.
- Ex Guatemalan vice president faces bribery allegations Updated: Aug-25-15 12:13 am
GUATEMALA CITY - Prosecutors in Guatemala alleged Monday that former Vice President Roxana Baldetti accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of a customs corruption scandal that forced her from office and has shaken the government of President Otto Perez Molina.
- Ferguson municipal judge announces sweeping changes Updated: Aug-24-15 8:04 pm
FERGUSON, Missouri - Ferguson's new municipal judge ordered massive changes Monday in the city's much-criticized municipal court, a move he said is aimed at restoring confidence in the system and easing the burden on needy defendants.
- Head of NY Gaming Commission resigns, cites other work Updated: Aug-24-15 1:47 pm
ALBANY, New York - The chairman of the New York Gaming Commission has resigned.
- Greece: Newly formed party receives mandate to form gov't Updated: Aug-24-15 11:13 am
ATHENS, Greece - A new anti-austerity party formed by rebel lawmakers who quit the governing left-wing Syriza was given its chance Monday to seek government coalition partners and prevent Greece from holding its third national vote this year, although chances of averting the election are virtually nil.
- Nettleton mayor resigns, moves to Florida Updated: Aug-24-15 4:04 am
NETTLETON, Mississippi - Nettleton voters will select a new mayor in a Sept. 22 special election.
- Iowa councilman resigns in wake of solicitation arrest Updated: Aug-22-15 5:19 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Dallas Center city councilman has resigned after being arrested during a prostitution sting.
- Leader of Brazil's lower house denies corruption charges Updated: Aug-21-15 5:26 pm
SAO PAULO - The speaker of Brazil's lower house of congress on Friday strongly denied newly filed charges of corruption and said he won't resign from office.
- Maine Democratic lawmaker moving out of district resigns Updated: Aug-21-15 3:22 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A Democratic Maine lawmaker serving his fourth term in the Legislature is resigning because his family is moving out of his district.
- Greek election looms as parties struggle to form government Updated: Aug-21-15 2:10 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Greece's main opposition party launched efforts to form a new government Friday following Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras' resignation, but made no progress in what appears a doomed task - which will pave the way for another potentially destabilizing election.