- Albanian mayor quits over past criminal conviction Updated: May-31-16 10:00 am
TIRANA, Albania - An Albanian mayor has resigned over his conviction for a brawl in the early 1990s. He's believed to be the first casualty of a five-month-old law barring people with criminal records from public posts.
- Correction: Egypt story Updated: May-31-16 5:35 am
CAIRO - In a story May 30 about the referral to trial of the head of Egypt's Journalists union and two of its board members, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the three did not post bail. A statement from the prosecution office states that they did
- Vermont Law School president to step down Updated: May-31-16 12:30 am
SOUTH ROYALTON, Vermont - Vermont Law School President Marc Mihaly plans to step down from that post in about 13 months to return to teaching at the school.
- Guatemala gets new attorney general after resignation Updated: May-30-16 9:44 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales has named a new attorney general after the previous chief prosecutor resigned due to threats.
- Idaho City clerk resigns during investigation Updated: May-29-16 12:40 pm
IDAHO CITY, Idaho - A longtime Idaho City employee was suspended, then resigned her position as city clerk amid an investigation of misappropriation of public funds.
- Mountain Home fire chief resigns over discipline discord Updated: May-28-16 12:52 pm
MOUNTAIN HOME, Idaho - The fire chief in the city of Mountain Home has resigned from his post, citing a disagreement with the mayor over how to discipline a firefighter following a February blaze.
- Illinois youth corrections director resigns Updated: May-27-16 4:44 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The director of the Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice has announced her resignation.
- Ohio prison watchdog agency spared after director resigns Updated: May-26-16 5:32 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio lawmakers have decided not to eliminate a state prison watchdog agency after its director agreed to step down.
- Former Oregon first lady must cover Oregonian legal costs Updated: May-26-16 12:05 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - A judge has ordered former Oregon first lady Cylvia Hayes to pay The Oregonian/OregonLive $127,760 to cover the news organization's legal costs in her failed public-records lawsuit.
- Hopkins resigns from gas line board for Alaska Senate run Updated: May-25-16 7:14 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Luke Hopkins, who was narrowly confirmed to the board of the Alaska Gasline Development Corp. last month, has resigned from that post to run for the state Senate.
- Mayor of small Missouri town resigns, pleads guilty to DWI Updated: May-25-16 8:21 am
OLD MONROE, Missouri - The mayor of the small eastern Missouri town of Old Monroe has pleading guilty to felony charges for causing a drunk-driving crash last summer, a plea that required him to give up his elected position.
- Ferguson city attorney to resign, commends leaders' 'grace' Updated: May-24-16 6:16 pm
FERGUSON, Missouri - Ferguson's city attorney has announced plans to step down, just a few weeks after the St. Louis suburb engulfed in racial unrest since Michael Brown's 2014 death revealed they were replacing her as local prosecutor.
- VA chief: 'I deeply regret' wait-time comparison to Disney Updated: May-24-16 5:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald said Tuesday he regrets remarks he made comparing long wait times at VA health care sites to waiting in line at a Disney amusement park.
- Blunt calls on VA secretary to resign after Disney comment Updated: May-24-16 11:42 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri's Republican U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt is calling for Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald to resign.
- Romanian Senate speaker charged with making false statements Updated: May-24-16 11:12 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian prosecutors have charged the Senate speaker with making false statements to protect people standing trial in a real estate case involving a prince.
- Petition drive forcing recall election on Madison mayor Updated: May-24-16 8:18 am
MADISON, Nebraska - Petition drive organizers have obtained enough valid signatures to force a recall election on the mayor of Madison in northeast Nebraska.
- The Latest: Republican says time for action on budget Updated: May-23-16 8:15 pm
HAMILTON, Ohio - The Latest on the candidate forum for the special election to fill the U.S. House seat vacated by Republican John Boehner (all times local):
- DEP official's private email had urged groups for 'pushback' Updated: May-23-16 6:36 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - In an email that precipitated his resignation, Gov. Tom Wolf's environmental protection secretary criticized environmental advocates for a lack of "pushback" against certain bills and said they were "without influence."
- McGinity recalls time as UW president Updated: May-23-16 1:40 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - Laurie Nichols took the position of University of Wyoming president last week, allowing Dick McGinity to step back from his leadership position and reflect on his accomplishments.
- Review: 'Weiner' is riveting fly-on-the-wall filmmaking Updated: May-21-16 10:16 am
There are lots of fly-on-the-wall documentaries. But occasionally there's one that makes you want to ask the fly: Just HOW did you get onto that wall, and how did you manage to stay there?
- New San Francisco police chief inherits city divided by race Updated: May-21-16 1:17 am
SAN FRANCISCO - First, police fatally shot two minority suspects carrying knives. Then transcripts surfaced showing officers using racial slurs in text messages. Finally, a young black woman was shot dead as police tried to pull her from a stolen car.
- Colorado education board names interim commissioner Updated: May-20-16 9:01 pm
DENVER - Colorado's board of education has named Dr. Katy Anthes as interim education commissioner following the resignation of the state schools chief.
- Israel defense chief quits, cites lack of trust in Netanyahu Updated: May-20-16 1:37 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel's defense minister announced his resignation Friday, saying the governing party had been taken over by "extremist and dangerous elements" and that he no longer trusts Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- FIFA judges want 2-year ban for Niersbach in 2006 bid case Updated: May-20-16 10:02 am
GENEVA - Just 10 days after the rebranded FIFA Council met for the first time, one of its members faces being banned from soccer in fallout from World Cup corruption allegations.
- Mississippi State names former Alabama president as provost Updated: May-19-16 5:24 pm