- Corrections secretary resigns amid early release controversy Updated: Feb-06-16 6:43 pm
SEATTLE - Washington state Corrections Secretary Dan Pacholke resigned on Saturday amid a controversy over the early release of prisoners, telling a Republican senator he hoped his departure would satisfy the "need for blood."
- AP NewsBreak: Deal reached on provisional Haiti government Updated: Feb-06-16 6:28 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Top Haitian leaders negotiated an agreement to install a short-term provisional government less than 24 hours before President Michel Martelly was scheduled to step down, an official with the Organization of American States and local authorities announced Saturday.
- Pueblo municipal court judge resigns Updated: Feb-06-16 2:06 pm
PUEBLO, Colorado - A former Pueblo Municipal Court judge has resigned after a confrontation with a court employee.
- Answers sought after male bus driver poses as elderly woman Updated: Feb-05-16 5:59 pm
CRANSTON, Rhode Island - Some Rhode Island city councilors want to know more about a middle-age male senior center van driver who posed as an elderly woman during a press conference.
- Black students seek swifter race reforms at Missouri Updated: Feb-05-16 5:09 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - University of Missouri students pointedly pressed the system's governing board Friday for faster diversity reforms at the Columbia campus, which is still grappling with racial unrest three months since protests led to departures of two top administrators.
- The Latest: Walker: Hanley lacked education board support Updated: Feb-04-16 6:38 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Latest on the change in leadership at the state education department (all times local):
- Ball State trustee says resignation not linked to president Updated: Feb-04-16 4:16 pm
MUNCIE, Indiana - One of two Ball State University trustees who are stepping down from their positions says the moves have nothing to do with the resignation last week of the school president.
- New Jersey attorney general to resign, work for Rutgers Updated: Feb-04-16 3:56 pm
Acting New Jersey Attorney General John J. Hoffman is resigning to take a job as the top lawyer at Rutgers University.
- Malaysian politician ousted after criticizing prime minister Updated: Feb-03-16 8:09 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The son of former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad resigned as the top leader of a federal state Wednesday, saying he was ousted because he had criticized Prime Minister Najib Razak over a $700 million financial scandal.
- US Magistrate Judge Carolyn Ostby stepping down from bench Updated: Feb-03-16 1:53 am
BILLINGS, Montana - Montana's first female federal judge has announced her resignation from the bench.
- San Diego settles harassment lawsuit against ex-mayor Updated: Feb-02-16 11:59 pm
SAN DIEGO - The city of San Diego on Tuesday agreed to pay $667,000 to former Mayor Bob Filner's executive assistant, who said her boss repeatedly tried to hug and kiss her, locked her in a kitchen and proposed sex on a conference table.
- Ferguson residents worried about cost of US-mandated changes Updated: Feb-02-16 10:24 pm
FERGUSON, Missouri - Many Ferguson residents expressed concern Tuesday that a settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice could financially ruin the St. Louis suburb where a police officer fatally shot 18-year-old Michael Brown.
- Lawmakers resigns over questions about military record Updated: Feb-02-16 9:20 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Washington State Rep. Graham Hunt of Orting announced his resignation from the Legislature on Tuesday after recent questions that he exaggerated his service in the military.
- Special election called after Maine senator resigns Updated: Feb-02-16 4:52 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A special election will be held March 29 to fill the seat vacated by Sen. David Dutremble.
- Nashville mayor revokes Election Commission's credit card Updated: Feb-01-16 7:01 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Nashville Mayor Megan Barry has revoked the credit card privileges of the Davidson County Election Commission and ordered an audit of all charges paid with tax dollars. The move on Monday comes after Election Commission Chairman Ron Buchanan announced he would be leaving. The Tennessean (http://goo.gl/t5HWX4 ) reports that Buchanan announced his resignation before WSMV-TV was to air an investigative report on credit card purchases. The station's report questions expenses of election administrator Kent Wall. While being interviewed, Buchanan is said to have gotten combative with TV reporter Alana Autler and called her a derogatory name.
- Fitzgerald wants to bar county executives from Legislature Updated: Feb-01-16 6:32 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald introduced a bill Monday that would bar county executives from serving simultaneously in the Legislature, a move that could force a Democrat to decide between his lucrative executive position or a Senate seat.
- Moldova: grenade explodes at house of central bank chief Updated: Feb-01-16 2:34 pm
CHISINAU, Moldova - Prosecutors say a grenade was lobbed and exploded at the house of the outgoing governor of Moldova's central bank. There were no casualties.
- Caldwell City Councilman resigns to keep retirement benefits Updated: Feb-01-16 2:10 pm
CALDWELL, Idaho - A former Caldwell Police Chief and newly elected City Councilman has resigned from the council weeks after being sworn in to keep his retirement benefits.
- Iowa mayor, other officials quit over zoning dispute vote Updated: Jan-28-16 7:29 am
MARQUETTE, Iowa - The mayor and a council member have quit their posts in a northeast Iowa town, saying the City Council isn't doing its job.
- Democrat McClendon resigning her Texas House seat Updated: Jan-27-16 1:47 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - State Rep. Ruth Jones McClendon is resigning her Texas House seat effective this weekend.
- French justice chief resigns amid flap over terrorism bill Updated: Jan-27-16 10:26 am
PARIS - France's charismatic justice minister unexpectedly resigned Wednesday after objecting to President Francois Hollande's push to revoke citizenship from convicted terrorists with dual nationality.
- Proposed lobbyist gift ban moves forward in Missouri House Updated: Jan-26-16 8:48 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - As the Missouri House on Tuesday advanced more legislation to change the state's loose ethics laws, some lawmakers raised doubts about whether the proposals go far enough.
- Guatemala Cabinet member quits after named as tax delinquent Updated: Jan-25-16 9:02 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - One of Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales' Cabinet officials is out just 11 days into his administration.
- Latest: Missouri senators react to charges against educator Updated: Jan-25-16 7:56 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - The latest on an assistant University of Missouri professor being charged with misdemeanor assault in connection with a run-in with student journalists during campus protests (all times local):
- Former UK minister Cecil Parkinson dies of cancer at age 84. Updated: Jan-25-16 12:39 pm
LONDON - Cecil Parkinson, who held senior posts in the British government under Margaret Thatcher until forced to resign amid a sex scandal, has died. He was 84.