- SC Senate gives final OK to Confederate flag removal Updated: Jul-07-15 8:37 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Senate gave its final approval Tuesday to removing the Confederate flag from the Capitol grounds, but across the hall in the House, Republicans quietly sought a way to make a last stand to preserve some kind of symbol honoring their Southern ancestors at the Statehouse.
- Judge rejects plea deal for woman charged in starvation case Updated: Jul-07-15 8:29 pm
MINOT, North Dakota - The judge presiding over the case of a North Dakota woman whose 13-year-old son died weighing just 21 pounds has rejected a plea deal struck by her defense and prosecutors.
- Democrats in Congress blast San Francisco's sanctuary policy Updated: Jul-07-15 8:28 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Leading Democrats - including San Francisco's former mayor Sen. Dianne Feinstein - are joining mounting criticism of the city's policy of refusing to cooperate with federal immigration officials when they request help in detaining a suspect thought to be in the country illegally.
- Maintenance man gets 30 years for killing property manager Updated: Jul-07-15 8:26 pm
TOWSON, Maryland - A maintenance man has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for fatally stabbing a property manager in Reisterstown.
- Agents testify insurance was increased before home explosion Updated: Jul-07-15 8:23 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - The girlfriend of a man accused of blowing up an Indianapolis house, devastating a subdivision and killing two neighbors, nearly doubled the insurance coverage for the contents of her home 11 months before the explosion, two insurance agents testified Tuesday.
- Mexican rights agency asks army to avoid ambiguous orders Updated: Jul-07-15 8:20 pm
MEXICO CITY - The Mexican government's human rights agency said Tuesday it is urging the army not to use ambiguous terms in orders, after activists revealed the army had essentially issued a directive to troops to kill suspected criminals.
- Cosby accusers claim vindication, friends reserve judgment Updated: Jul-07-15 8:19 pm
PHILADELPHIA - While many of Bill Cosby's accusers feel vindicated by his decade-old admission that he gave at least one woman quaaludes before sex, some of his Hollywood friends are reserving judgment, saying the testimony doesn't prove he committed a crime.
- Police: murder warrant for man held in tournament shooting Updated: Jul-07-15 8:14 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Hartford police say a man held in connection with a fatal shooting at an outdoor basketball tournament two weeks ago is being charged with murder.
- Body of woman who vanished in 1992 found in desert Updated: Jul-07-15 8:13 pm
NATIONAL CITY, California - The body of a woman who vanished in 1992 has been found in the Southern California desert - two years after her ex-boyfriend pleaded guilty to her murder.
- Orleans Parish sheriff's deputy arrested, fired Updated: Jul-07-15 7:55 pm
NEW ORLEANS - An Orleans Parish sheriff's deputy has been arrested and fired as he faces a charge of aggravated assault with a firearm in connection with three separate incidents spanning three New Orleans police districts.
- 2nd defense expert says theater shooter was legally insane Updated: Jul-07-15 7:44 pm
CENTENNIAL, Colorado - A second defense expert testified Tuesday that the Colorado theater shooter was so mentally ill that he couldn't tell right from wrong at the time he opened fire on a packed auditorium, killing 12 people and injuring 70.
- 5-year-old girl critically wounded in drive-by shooting Updated: Jul-07-15 7:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Topeka police say a 5-year-old girl was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries after being wounded in a drive-by shooting.
- 1 arrested, 1 sought in shotgun shooting that injured 7 Updated: Jul-07-15 7:31 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Authorities say one man has been arrested and another is being sought in a shotgun shooting that injured seven people in Philadelphia last month.
- Arkansas woman takes plea deal in slain realtor case Updated: Jul-07-15 7:29 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A woman charged in the kidnapping and killing of an Arkansas real estate agent pleaded guilty Tuesday to reduced charges in exchange for agreeing to testify against her estranged husband, who also is charged in the death.
- Deadly shootings by police show sharp increase in Oklahoma Updated: Jul-07-15 7:17 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The separate shooting deaths of two men by police officers in Oklahoma City in the last few days bring to 21 the number of fatal shootings by law enforcement so far this year in Oklahoma, putting the state on pace to easily eclipse its previous high since such records started being kept.
- Man and elderly father found fatally shot in Cincinnati Updated: Jul-07-15 7:17 pm
CINCINNATI - Police in Cincinnati say a man and his elderly father have been found shot to death in a house.
- Phoenix man claiming self-defense in death of his roommate Updated: Jul-07-15 6:56 pm
PHOENIX - Authorities say a Phoenix man is claiming self-defense after he allegedly killed his roommate after an argument.
- 3 teens heading to detention centers in gas station beating Updated: Jul-07-15 6:47 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Three juveniles are being remanded to juvenile detention centers in an attack at a north Philadelphia gas station that left a homeless man in a coma.
- Man who shot, killed wife in Fruita gets 25 years in prison Updated: Jul-07-15 6:47 pm
GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado - A man who shot and killed his wife in Fruita before turning the gun on himself has been sentenced to 25 years in prison.
- The Latest: Smithsonian stands by Cosby art exhibition Updated: Jul-07-15 6:43 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Here are the latest developments from the release of court documents indicating Bill Cosby admitted in 2005 that he obtained quaaludes with the intent of giving them to women with whom he wanted to have sex (all times local):
- Mom of 2-year-old found in ravine charged with killing her Updated: Jul-07-15 6:39 pm
PITTSBURGH - The mother of a 2-year-old girl found dead in a ravine has been arrested on charges she asphyxiated the girl after becoming upset that she had to help the toddler clean herself after using the toilet, police said Tuesday.
- Omaha police announce plan to combat gang violence Updated: Jul-07-15 6:32 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - The Omaha Police Department is sharing its plans to combat an increasing number of gang-related shootings in the city.
- Man identified in fatal officer-involved shooting in Bath Updated: Jul-07-15 6:26 pm
BATH, New Hampshire - Authorities say a man who died in an officer-involved shooting in Bath has been identified as Hagan Esty-Lennon of Canterbury, New Hampshire.
- Independence police kill carjacking suspect Updated: Jul-07-15 6:23 pm
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Police in Independence say an officer has shot and killed an armed carjacking suspect.
- Providence man indicted in strangulation death of woman Updated: Jul-07-15 6:17 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Providence man has been indicted in the strangulation death of a 24-year-old woman.