- Police make arrest in killing of man in Hyatt Place hotel Updated: Aug-03-15 11:16 am
LITHONIA, Georgia - Police say they've arrested a suspect on a murder charge after a deadly shooting at a Hyatt Place hotel near Atlanta.
- 15-year-old girl killed in drive-by shooting in Gary Updated: Aug-03-15 11:15 am
GARY, Indiana - Police say a 15-year-old Gary girl was killed when she was shot in the back in a drive-by shooting while going to visit the home of a friend's grandmother.
- 2 killed in shooting in Toppenish Updated: Aug-03-15 11:11 am
TOPPENISH, Washington - Authorities say two people were killed when someone fired several gunshots into a family gathering in Toppenish.
- Opening statements in officer's voluntary manslaughter trial Updated: Aug-03-15 11:07 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Prosecutors say a white Charlotte police officer on trial for the on-duty killing of a black man looking for help after a car crash never gave the man any commands before shooting him and overreacted by firing 12 bullets.
- Pleas filed for 2 Oklahoma brothers in family stabbings Updated: Aug-03-15 10:53 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - A judge entered not guilty pleas Monday for two brothers charged with stabbing their parents and three siblings to death at their suburban Tulsa home last month.
- New Mexico AG to hold first anti-crime review meeting Updated: Aug-03-15 10:52 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas is set to hold his first meeting with a taskforce reviewing the state's criminal justice system.
- Man accused of shooting wife due in court in Maine Updated: Aug-03-15 10:43 am
LONDONDERRY, New Hampshire - The trial of a New Hampshire man accused of breaking into a Maine home and shooting his wife and the homeowner is due in court next month.
- Gastonia man found dead after assault Updated: Aug-03-15 10:38 am
GASTONIA, North Carolina - A Gastonia man has been found dead in his home after being attacked.
- Father expected to plead guilty to killing son Updated: Aug-03-15 10:26 am
MINNEAPOLIS - A father charged with killing his 10-year-old son in order to collect life insurance money is expected to plead guilty in Hennepin County court.
- UK police watchdog to probe abuse claim against ex-PM Heath Updated: Aug-03-15 9:59 am
LONDON - Britain's police watchdog said Monday that it will investigate whether police failed to pursue an allegation of child sexual abuse against the late Prime Minister Edward Heath in the 1990s.
- Man shot during Lafayette home invasion Updated: Aug-03-15 9:59 am
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - Lafayette police say a home invasion has left a man in critical condition.
- Suspect in custody in fatal Massachusetts shooting Updated: Aug-03-15 9:55 am
PITTSFIELD, Massachusetts - Massachusetts prosecutors are seeking the return of a teen suspected in a fatal shooting in Pittsfield.
- Manhunt underway for suspect in officer's fatal shooting Updated: Aug-03-15 9:40 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - A manhunt was underway Monday for a suspect who police say fatally shot a Memphis officer after he interrupted a drug deal involving a small amount of marijuana that would have resulted in just a misdemeanor citation and a fine.
- Officials: 1 killed, 2 injured in triple shooting in Athens Updated: Aug-03-15 9:35 am
ATHENS, Tennessee - Authorities say one man was killed and two others were injured in a triple shooting in Athens.
- 3 arrested in Jersey City shooting that killed boy, 16 Updated: Aug-03-15 9:25 am
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey - Three people have been arrested on murder charges stemming from a shooting in Jersey City that left a 16-year-old dead.
- Second suspect surrenders in K2 barbershop robbery-slaying Updated: Aug-03-15 9:10 am
PITTSBURGH - A second suspect has surrendered in the robbery-slaying of a man who allegedly sold synthetic marijuana out of his Pittsburgh barbershop.
- Teenager shot, killed in in Marlboro County Updated: Aug-03-15 8:59 am
BENNETTSVILLE, South Carolina - Police are investigating a weekend shooting in Marlboro County that killed a teenager.
- Billboard sitter comes down after near murder-free week Updated: Aug-03-15 8:59 am
ST. LOUIS - A man sitting atop a St. Louis billboard has come down, even though the city never made it a full week without a homicide.
- Dakota County begins DNA collection Updated: Aug-03-15 8:34 am
HASTINGS, Minnesota - A county south of the Twin Cities begins collecting DNA samples from people arrested and charged with violent crimes.
- Man killed, 2 arrested after shooting that wounded officer Updated: Aug-03-15 8:13 am
ROSWELL, New Mexico - Two men are facing drug and conspiracy charges following a fatal shooting that left an officer wounded and a suspect dead.
- Vigil marks anniversary of deadly workplace shooting Updated: Aug-03-15 8:04 am
MANCHESTER, Connecticut - A somber vigil is planned to mark the fifth anniversary of a deadly workplace shooting in Connecticut.
- Hearing set for Albuquerque officers facing murder charges Updated: Aug-03-15 7:58 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A judge will hear from witnesses this week to decide if a former and current Albuquerque officer should go to trial for killing a homeless man.
- No one hurt when man opens fire inside crowded Rochester bar Updated: Aug-03-15 7:41 am
ROCHESTER, New York - Police in Rochester have arrested a man who's accused of firing a gun inside a crowded bar.
- Year later, AP reporter recalls origins of Ferguson movement Updated: Aug-03-15 7:34 am
ST. LOUIS - EDITOR'S NOTE - A year ago, most Americans had never heard of the St. Louis suburb called Ferguson. But after a white police officer fatally shot a black 18-year-old in the street, the name of the middle-class community became virtually a household word. From the first hours after Michael Brown's death, Associated Press reporter Jim Salter watched as a neighborhood protest launched a national movement. What follows is an excerpt of the introduction to "Deadly Force: Fatal Confrontations with Police," an upcoming book published by The Associated Press (www.ap.org/books ).
- Police say men shoot and kill each other in North Charleston Updated: Aug-03-15 7:04 am
NORTH CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Police in North Charleston say two men shot and killed each other at an apartment complex.