- Huntington Fire Department carrying opiate reversal drug Updated: May-04-16 3:24 am
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - The city of Huntington says medication that can reverse the effect of opiates in case of an overdose is now stocked on all of the city fire department emergency response vehicles.
- Tests near Vermont landfill find more wells with PFOA Updated: May-04-16 12:17 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont governor's office says tests of private drinking water wells south of the Bennington landfill found that some locations had levels of the chemical PFOA above the state's limit.
- Mocksville police officer suing town testifies in lawsuit Updated: May-02-16 7:45 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - A former Mocksville police detective who says he and two other officers were fired for raising concerns about how the department was being run testified Monday that he felt it was "going downhill at a fast pace."
- The Latest: Mocksville police officer suing town testifies Updated: May-02-16 6:24 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - The Latest on a federal trial in which three police officers in Mocksville, North Carolina, say they were fired for telling state officials about corruption inside their department. (all times local):
- Ethics commission says it can't stop Bevin's inquiry Updated: May-02-16 6:14 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Executive Branch Ethics Commission says it cannot stop Republican Gov. Matt Bevin from investigating whether his Democratic predecessor violated state ethics laws.
- Gov. Bentley no-show at state auditor summons Updated: May-02-16 4:20 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - If Alabama State Auditor Jim Zeigler had his druthers on Monday morning, he would have interviewed an empty chair.
- City announces plans for Navy Pier hotel Updated: May-01-16 6:30 pm
CHICAGO - The city of Chicago says construction of the first hotel at a popular tourist attraction Navy Pier will begin next year.
- Deal ends fight between solar firm, utility for now Updated: Apr-28-16 10:11 pm
PHOENIX - A deal between the nation's largest solar company and Arizona's biggest utility announced Thursday means competing measures asking voters about how to treat rooftop solar power are being withdrawn.
- Arizona Republicans want funding for Koch-backed schools Updated: Apr-28-16 6:18 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona's Republican leaders have proposed earmarking millions of dollars for programs at the state's public universities that are backed by billionaire Republican donor Charles Koch.
- Audit: Montana financial statements error-free Updated: Apr-28-16 5:26 pm
HELENA, Montana - A new audit released this week says Montana's financial statements are error-free this time - unlike a year ago when an audit revealed scores of mistakes and cited a lack of internal controls that could have exposed the errors sooner.
- Montana officials eye options for troubled state facility Updated: Apr-27-16 7:12 pm
BOULDER, Montana - Montana officials will seek help from the Legislature to address concerns among Boulder residents about the impending closure of a residential facility for the developmentally disabled.
- Proposed Colorado lieutenant governor clears 1st hurdle Updated: Apr-27-16 3:53 pm
DENVER - The nominee for Colorado's next lieutenant governor sailed through her first legislative test Wednesday when Democratic health care executive Donna Lynne won bipartisan support in her first confirmation hearing.
- House OKs requiring org charts, contact info on state site Updated: Apr-26-16 2:43 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan lawmakers hope to make it easier for citizens to navigate state government's bureaucracy.
- Bill requires org charts, phone numbers on state website Updated: Apr-25-16 11:51 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan lawmakers want to make it easier for citizens to navigate state government's bureaucracy.
- House to resume debate on releasing EB-5 emails Updated: Apr-25-16 12:20 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont House is set this week to resume debate on competing resolutions addressing records possibly related to state and federal fraud investigations into a series of development projects in northern Vermont.
- Indiana announces elementary school robotics program Updated: Apr-24-16 5:06 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Elementary schools throughout Indiana will get a chance to win free robotics kits for afterschool programs.
- Secretary Kerry to revisit Vietnam War before Obama trip Updated: Apr-24-16 3:14 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Before joining President Barack Obama on his first trip to Vietnam next month, Secretary of State John Kerry will take a day to reflect on his long and complicated history with the Asian country, first as a soldier and later as a war protester and statesman.
- Gov. Martinez travels with civil group to promote New Mexico Updated: Apr-23-16 5:06 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Republican Gov. Susana Martinez is joining a civic group for a weeklong trip to the East Coast to promote New Mexico.
- Legislature appoints ethics chief Les Kondo as state auditor Updated: Apr-22-16 7:52 pm
HONOLULU - The Hawaii Legislature has appointed Les Kondo, head of the state's Ethics Commission, to serve as state auditor.
- Last-ditch effort to revive new payday lender loans Updated: Apr-21-16 9:06 pm
PHOENIX - Backers of a proposal allowing payday lenders barred from Arizona following a 2008 voter initiative to offer a new high-interest loan product launched a last-ditch effort Thursday to revive the legislation.
- Governor's office looking for fall internship applications Updated: Apr-21-16 7:12 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Gov. Dennis Daugaard is looking for two interns for his office's fall 2016 program in Pierre.
- The Latest: Emanuel won't cut police-investigation agency Updated: Apr-21-16 11:07 am
CHICAGO - The Latest on the recommendations for Chicago Police reform (all times local):
- Walker shuffles top office communications staff Updated: Apr-19-16 4:23 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has shuffled his top communications staff in the governor's office, moves that come during a relatively slow period in the state Capitol before work on the next state budget begins in earnest.
- Nebraska Gov. Ricketts approves property tax package Updated: Apr-19-16 3:41 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska will steer an extra $20 million to farm and ranch landowners next year to offset their property taxes under a bill Gov. Pete Ricketts signed Tuesday.
- GOP Kentucky governor to investigate Democratic predecessor Updated: Apr-19-16 3:26 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky's Republican governor said Tuesday he is hiring a private law firm to help investigate his Democratic predecessor for what he said were potentially illegal procurement practices.