- Prison guard who opened exploding package is critically hurt Updated: May-30-16 6:51 pm
SYRACUSE, New York - A correction officer who opened a package left by his mailbox that exploded outside his home is in critical condition, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday after visiting the officer's family at the hospital where he is being treated.
- Each council member to serve as temporary Tupelo mayor Updated: May-30-16 2:26 pm
TUPELO, Mississippi - Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton got married over the weekend and, while he's away for his honeymoon, the city will have seven different people serving in the mayor's office in seven days' time.
- Potential transfer of public Oahe land alarming to some Updated: May-30-16 10:17 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota's former state wildlife chief and some Democrats are opposing the potential transfer of public land around Lake Oahe south of Bismarck-Mandan to private landowners.
- The Latest: Governor: Prison guard seriously burned by blast Updated: May-29-16 6:12 pm
FLOYD, New York - The Latest on the investigation into an exploding package that burned a New York prison guard after he picked it up near his home (all times local):
- Governor: Capitol flags ordered lowered on Memorial Day Updated: May-28-16 4:07 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has called for all flags to be lowered in the state Capitol complex in observance of Memorial Day.
- Official asked utility if it wanted help to quash order Updated: May-27-16 10:52 pm
LOS ANGELES - A California oil and gas official offered to try to get the governor's office to quash an order from air pollution regulators that was aimed at a utility responsible for a massive gas leak, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.
- Walker releases 82 pages of records following court order Updated: May-27-16 6:33 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker released 82 pages of records he wanted to keep secret after a judge ordered them to be made public Friday.
- State approves air permits for Marathon's Detroit refinery Updated: May-27-16 12:30 pm
DETROIT - The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality has approved two new air permits for Marathon's refinery in southwest Detroit.
- Audit recommends merging DOT, highway borrowing agency Updated: May-26-16 12:54 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - State auditors are recommending that the Legislature either close the South Carolina agency that borrows and doles out money for large highway and bridge projects or make it part of the Department of Transportation.
- Group: Police wrongly threaten homeless, order them to move Updated: May-26-16 12:46 pm
NEW YORK - The New York Police Department is violating homeless people's rights by ordering them to "move along" in public places, a civil liberties group said Thursday in a complaint to the city's Human Rights Commission.
- Tests continue to find PFOA in Bennington water wells Updated: May-26-16 12:26 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont governor's office says more tests on private water system in parts of Bennington are continuing to show high levels of a potentially cancer causing chemical.
- Idaho to support states in school transgender bathroom suit Updated: May-25-16 5:40 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter says Idaho will soon weigh in on a lawsuit opposing the Obama administration over its directive to U.S. public schools to let transgender students use bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity.
- Republicans blame Warner, Inslee for prisoner release error Updated: May-25-16 4:33 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - A Washington state Republican Senate panel investigation casts blame at both Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee and former Department of Corrections Secretary Bernie Warner for a three-year delay in fixing an error that led to the early release of thousands of prisoners.
- 13 more state employees receive layoff notices Updated: May-25-16 3:26 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Thirteen more Connecticut state employees in the executive branch have received layoff notices since last week.
- New Orleans mayor to travel to Cuba for mayors' conference Updated: May-25-16 1:24 pm
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu is traveling next week to Cuba as part of a delegation of mayors from around the country.
- Conservative group endorses Jonathan Johnson for governor Updated: May-25-16 12:55 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A national conservative group is jumping into Utah's Republican race for the governor's office by endorsing Overstock.com executive Jonathan Johnson.
- Drivers affected by DMV outage to get more time Updated: May-25-16 4:03 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginians who couldn't get their driver's license renewed because of a weekend computer disruption are getting more time.
- McAuliffe announces California brewery expanding to Virginia Updated: May-25-16 3:52 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe says another craft beer company has decided to locate its East Coast operations in Virginia.
- Rooftop solar company Sunrun drops suit against governor Updated: May-24-16 7:24 pm
LAS VEGAS - A rooftop solar company that accused Gov. Brian Sandoval of political cronyism dropped a lawsuit seeking to force the release of his text messages and wants to mend fences after harsh statements over a Nevada rate hike.
- Sanford Burnham takes withdrawal proposal to governor Updated: May-23-16 4:48 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - Leaders of a research organization that has been key to the growth of a medical research community in central Florida say the firm is now in talks with the governor's office about having the University of Florida take over its Orlando facility.
- State launches college counseling program for high schools Updated: May-23-16 12:37 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam has announced the launch of a $2.4 million program that will provide college counselors to 30 public high schools across the state.
- Leadership tensions simmer at New Mexico GOP convention Updated: May-21-16 7:27 pm
SANDIA PUEBLO, New Mexico - New Mexico Republicans voted out a representative to the party's national committee on Saturday in a leadership shake-up tied to frustrations over the state's lagging economy and hardball tactics against Democrats.
- New Taiwan president omits one-China principle in speech Updated: May-20-16 10:26 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan's new independence-leaning President Tsai Ing-wen tread carefully around the thorny issue of relations with China in her inaugural address Friday, emphasizing the importance of two decades of growing exchanges without mentioning the one-China principle fundamental to Beijing.
- Alabama jobless rate dips to 6.1 percent Updated: May-20-16 9:18 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's unemployment rate is down slightly to 6.1 percent.
- NYC Girl Scouts want you to help veterans Updated: May-19-16 4:07 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City Girl Scout troop has donated 100 percent of its cookie profits - about $4,000 - to help formerly homeless veterans.