- Pro-gun group plans rally after concealed carry veto Updated: Jul-07-15 1:01 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Gov. Maggie Hassan's veto of a bill to remove the licensing requirement for carrying hidden guns is hardly the last word on the issue.
- 4 arrested after oil-train protest at Benicia Bridge Updated: Jul-07-15 8:52 am
BENICIA, California - Transportation officials say four Bay Area protesters have been arrested after they tried to hang a banner protesting oil trains on the Benicia-Martinez railroad bridge.
- Thai military court to release 14 students ahead of trial Updated: Jul-07-15 7:47 am
BANGKOK - A military court in Thailand said Tuesday it will release 14 student activists from detention but they will still face sedition charges - and the prospect of years in prison - for defying the junta's ban on political gatherings.
- Peabody Energy still chafes at strip-mining protest song Updated: Jul-06-15 6:55 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - More than 40 years after it was first recorded, a strip-mining protest song still rankles one of the nation's largest coal mining companies.
- $333K in settlements for 6 pepper-sprayed Occupy protesters Updated: Jul-06-15 6:37 pm
NEW YORK - The city has agreed to pay a total of $332,500 to six Occupy Wall Street protesters who said police unjustly blasted them with pepper spray in an episode that helped propel the movement into the spotlight.
- Union members rally against 'age discrimination' in Barbados Updated: Jul-06-15 5:18 pm
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados - About 3,000 chanting protesters took to the streets of Barbados' capital Monday to join a union-led rally against the recent dismissals of about a dozen public workers nearing retirement age.
- Protesters clash over Confederate flag at Phoenix Walmart Updated: Jul-06-15 3:47 pm
PHOENIX - Things got noisy outside a west Phoenix Walmart after the company's decision to remove Confederate flag merchandise attracted scores of protesters and counter-protesters.
- Armenian police disperse protest after 2 weeks Updated: Jul-06-15 12:23 pm
YEREVAN, Armenia - Police cleared away barricades on Monday to unblock a central avenue in the Armenian capital that demonstrators had occupied for two weeks to protest hikes in electricity prices in the impoverished former Soviet nation.
- Zimbabwean government exports elephants despite protest Updated: Jul-06-15 10:32 am
HARARE, Zimbabwe - Twenty elephants exported to China would be "better off" in Chinese zoos rather than struggling wildlife parks in Zimbabwe, the southern African nation's minister in charge of wildlife said on Monday, dismissing protests from animal rights groups.
- Low turnout marks anti-gay demonstration in Kenya Updated: Jul-06-15 9:26 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - A demonstration against homosexuality in Kenya fizzled Monday after attracting only a handful of protesters.
- Detroit-to-Flint march highlights 2 cities' water problems Updated: Jul-05-15 7:29 pm
PONTIAC, Michigan - Critics of water shutoffs in Detroit and water quality problems in Flint are holding a 70-mile protest march between the two southeastern Michigan cities.
- Demonstrators wave Confederate flags at Houston rally Updated: Jul-05-15 3:56 pm
HOUSTON - About 100 people drove around a mall parking lot in Houston waving Confederate flags, in a Fourth of July show support for the divisive symbol that was one of several such events that have been held around the country in recent days.
- America celebrates Independence Day with fireworks, parades Updated: Jul-05-15 2:46 am
Americans celebrated 239 years as an independent nation on Saturday with extravagant fireworks displays, rock and classical concerts and parades both big and small. Here were some highlights of Independence Day festivities around the nation:
- Gay rights activists mark landmark 1965 demonstration Updated: Jul-04-15 6:34 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Gay rights activists gathered in front of Independence Hall in Philadelphia on the Fourth of July to mark the progress of their movement and pay tribute to those who launched it a half-century ago - but also made it clear that the fight for equality was far from over.
- Neo-Nazis rally in London, outnumbered by rivals Updated: Jul-04-15 1:28 pm
LONDON - A small group of neo-Nazis have staged an anti-Semitic rally in London, but were hugely outnumbered by counter-demonstrators.
- Hundreds march in Istanbul in support of Uighurs Updated: Jul-04-15 11:52 am
ISTANBUL - Hundreds of people have marched in Istanbul to protest against China's treatment of its minority Muslim Uighur community.
- Pro-Confederate battle flag rallies held in Virginia Updated: Jul-04-15 11:17 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Rallies in the resort city of Virginia Beach and Stafford County attracted dozens of supporters of the Confederate battle flag.
- Egypt marks 2nd anniversary of Islamist ouster with mourning Updated: Jul-04-15 8:37 am
CAIRO - Two years to the day after the army overthrew Egypt's Islamist president, the sounds coming from the mosque at Cairo's Tahrir Square were sadly telling. At the focal point of Egypt's upheavals, where authorities had hoped to stage celebrations, there was instead a prayer for the week's dead, including soldiers cut down by militants in Sinai and the country's chief prosecutor, assassinated by car bomb in the capital.
- New Spain law sets big fines for disseminating police images Updated: Jul-03-15 1:07 pm
MADRID - Three years ago, just after anti-austerity activists demonstrated outside Madrid's main train station, freelance cameraman Juan Ramon Robles captured riveting video of riot police inside the station beating people who said they had nothing to do with the protests.
- The Hague hit by riots after death of man in police custody Updated: Jul-03-15 11:59 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Dutch police conducted mass arrests overnight, detaining about 200 people for ignoring a ban on public assembly in a neighborhood hit by late-night rioting after the death of a man in police custody.
- The Latest: Protesters loot supermarket in Athens suburb Updated: Jul-03-15 10:37 am
ATHENS, Greece - The latest news on Greece's financial woes and its upcoming referendum on Sunday (all times local):
- 3 days before pope visit, Ecuador protests aim at president Updated: Jul-02-15 9:58 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - Thousands of people turned out for protest marches across Ecuador on Thursday to call for the ouster of President Rafael Correa just three days before a visit by Pope Francis.
- Hero of marriage ruling honors early gay rights protesters Updated: Jul-02-15 6:54 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Regina Sullivan started crying as she squeezed her arms around the man behind the latest gay rights milestone: Jim Obergefell, whose lawsuit led to the Supreme Court ruling making same-sex marriage the law of the land.
- Chicago teachers protest planned cuts after pension payment Updated: Jul-02-15 1:44 pm
CHICAGO - Dozens of Chicago Teachers Union members and supporters picketed outside City Hall to protest $200 million in planned Chicago Public Schools cuts.
- Pro-Confederate flag rally to take place in Russellville Updated: Jul-02-15 6:05 am
RUSSELLVILLE, Arkansas - A rally in support of the Confederate flag is being held in Russellville.