- French parliament debates labor law after violent protests Updated: May-03-16 12:18 pm
PARIS - After a month of often violent protests, French lawmakers on Tuesday started to debate a hotly contested labor bill that would make it easier to lay off workers, weaken some union powers, and relax rules regulating the country's 35-hour workweek.
- Jonesboro police sergeants suspended after salary protest Updated: May-03-16 10:24 am
JONESBORO, Arkansas - Two Jonesboro police sergeants have been suspended without pay for their roles in a high-profile protest by several officers unhappy with their salary and benefits.
- Nepal to expel Canadian man over critical tweets Updated: May-03-16 9:33 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Nepal has ordered a Canadian man to leave the country within two days for posting messages on social media that could disturb social harmony, officials said Tuesday.
- Tens of thousands Shiite pilgrims converge on Baghdad shrine Updated: May-03-16 4:47 am
BAGHDAD - Tens of thousands of Shiite pilgrims converged Tuesday on a golden-domed Shiite shrine in Baghdad to commemorate the anniversary of the death of a revered imam as authorities tightened security measures in the Iraqi capital amid concerns of more attacks by Sunni extremists.
- Refugee sets herself alight at immigration camp on Nauru Updated: May-02-16 9:52 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - A Somali refugee was critically injured when she set herself on fire at an Australian immigration camp on the Pacific island nation of Nauru three days after an Iranian refugee died of injuries sustained in a similar apparent protest, officials said.
- Man pleads not guilty to California Trump protest violence Updated: May-02-16 8:52 pm
SANTA ANA, California - A man who allegedly threw a rock at a CHP patrol car during a Southern California protest against Donald Trump has pleaded not guilty to felony vandalism.
- The Latest: Trump says Indiana win means 'it's over' Updated: May-02-16 8:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the 2016 presidential race on the eve of Indiana's primary (all times EDT):
- Ukrainian city marks 2nd anniversary of fire that killed 43 Updated: May-02-16 2:55 pm
MOSCOW - Demonstrators have gathered in the Ukrainian city of Odessa to mark the second anniversary of the street clashes that culminated in a fire that killed 43 people as they took shelter from opponents.
- Protests target racism, debt at Southern Illinois University Updated: May-02-16 1:22 pm
CARBONDALE, Illinois - Several hundred Southern Illinois University protesters have rallied against student debt and racism following recent incidents including an anonymous video calling for violence against black students.
- Hundreds gather in Hong Kong to protest editor's dismissal Updated: May-02-16 7:14 am
HONG KONG - Around 400 people gathered in Hong Kong on Monday to protest a veteran newspaper editor's dismissal that triggered concerns about press freedom in the semiautonomous Chinese territory.
- New Haven man's story of liquor store arrest spurs protest Updated: May-02-16 6:41 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Demonstrators and Black Lives Matter activists gathered in front of the New Haven Police Department headquarters to protest a 27-year-old man's arrest at a liquor store over the weekend.
- Protesters urge Dartmouth College to divest in fossil fuels Updated: May-02-16 3:47 am
HANOVER, New Hampshire - More than 400 protesters took to the on-campus home of Dartmouth College President Philip Hanlon over the weekend to urge the school to shed its investments in fossil fuel companies.
- Demonstrators protest rail facility project in Shelburne Updated: May-02-16 3:41 am
SHELBURNE, Vermont - Demonstrators gathered in Shelburne over the weekend to protest a forthcoming rail facility set to be constructed along the LaPlatte River in the northwest Vermont town.
- Arrests in Seattle as May Day marchers take to streets Updated: May-02-16 1:15 am
SEATTLE - Seattle police used pepper spray to disperse black-clad anti-capitalist protesters authorities say threw rocks, flares, bricks and Molotov cocktails at officers during a rowdy May Day gathering.
- The Latest: Police arrest protesters in Seattle Updated: May-02-16 1:06 am
SEATTLE - The Latest on May Day marches across the U.S. (all times local):
- Anti-capitalists clash with Seattle police on May Day Updated: May-02-16 12:02 am
SEATTLE - Seattle police used pepper spray Sunday evening to disperse anti-capitalist protesters after authorities said rocks, flares and bricks were thrown at officers downtown.
- The Latest: Police use pepper spray on Seattle protesters Updated: May-01-16 10:19 pm
SEATTLE - The Latest on May Day rallies in the Northwest (all times local):
- Rally seeks to foster fairness, justice for immigrants Updated: May-01-16 8:57 pm
DURHAM, New Hampshire - Social justice advocates in New Hampshire are making the rejection of racism, xenophobia and anti-Muslim sentiment the themes of their annual May Day Rally for Immigrant Justice.
- Car bomb in southern Turkey kills 2 police officers Updated: May-01-16 6:26 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - A car bomb struck the entrance of a Turkish police station Sunday in the southern city of Gaziantep, killing two police officers and wounding 22 other people in a day marred by violence and May Day protests.
- Trade unions hold rallies to mark May Day; clashes Updated: May-01-16 6:19 pm
Trade unions and other groups are staging rallies around the world to mark International Workers Day. A look at some May Day events:
- Hundreds march to support workers, demand justice Updated: May-01-16 6:06 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Hundreds of workers are rallying and marching along San Francisco's scenic bay-front in support of immigrant and workers' rights and to demand justice for several men fatally shot by city police.
- The Latest: Iraqis announce disbanding of Green Zone protest Updated: May-01-16 12:01 pm
BAGHDAD - The Latest on Iraq's political crisis (all times local):
- Rally to protest GOP's Donald Trump to be held in Miami Updated: May-01-16 6:11 am
MIAMI - A coalition of immigrant rights and labor groups are planning to march in Miami against the "hateful rhetoric" from Republican front-runner Donald Trump's presidential campaign.
- Jesuit priest, peace activist Daniel Berrigan dies at 94 Updated: Apr-30-16 10:01 pm
NEW YORK - The Rev. Daniel Berrigan, a Roman Catholic priest and peace activist who was imprisoned for burning draft files in a protest against the Vietnam War, died Saturday. He was 94.
- Family, friends mark 2nd anniversary of Hamilton's death Updated: Apr-30-16 6:23 pm
MILWAUKEE - Family and friends are marking the second anniversary of the death of a mentally ill black man who was shot in a confrontation with a white police officer in a downtown Milwaukee park.