- Young bears separate from moms, roam across Asheville area Updated: May-27-16 2:09 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - A North Carolina wildlife biologist says people living in the Asheville area can expect to see more young bears soon because their mothers are kicking them out to be on their own.
- Man sentenced to prison for shooting grizzly bear in Montana Updated: May-26-16 4:36 pm
HELENA, Montana - A magistrate judge has sentenced a Washington state man to six months in prison for shooting and killing a grizzly bear in northwestern Montana last year.
- Bears look for food in western North Carolina neighborhoods Updated: May-25-16 6:59 am
HENDERSONVILLE, North Carolina - Experts say black bears are moving into neighborhoods in western North Carolina in search of food.
- Officials: Black bear found dead in Roxbury had been shot Updated: May-24-16 4:04 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Environmental officials in Connecticut have determined that a black bear found dead last week in Roxbury had been shot.
- Park officials say euthanized bear didn't bite hiker Updated: May-23-16 6:11 pm
GATLINBURG, Tennessee - Officials at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park say a bear that was euthanized this month wasn't the same one that bit a sleeping Appalachian Trail hiker.
- Archaeologist: Site of Bear River Massacre pinpointed Updated: May-23-16 3:11 pm
POCATELLO, Idaho - The exact location of the Bear River Massacre in eastern Idaho has been determined, an archaeologist says.
- Skip the flight, board the train to Glacier National Park Updated: May-23-16 2:58 pm
EAST GLACIER, Montana - Chicago skyscrapers faded into green Wisconsin, and as the sun set over the Mississippi River, we made our first vacation decision. We weren't driving, so yes, we'd have some wine. We then sat back and watched as 1,500 miles went by aboard the Empire Builder train bound for Glacier National Park.
- Man sneaks into North Dakota zoo, gets bit by bear Updated: May-22-16 3:07 pm
MINOT, North Dakota - A bear didn't take too kindly to a man who sneaked into a North Dakota zoo about six hours after it closed.
- Karelian bear dogs help wildlife officers Updated: May-21-16 2:13 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - Barking at bears, romping through the forest, sniffing for poaching evidence, getting petted by a child and maybe cooling off with a swim in the Pend Oreille River..
- Ohio zoo photographer chronicles comings, goings of animals Updated: May-21-16 9:35 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Grahm Jones had already photographed lions, zebras and gazelles on a recent weekday morning when he went nose-to-lens with a giraffe.
- Troopers shoot young male bear near Ketchikan school Updated: May-20-16 4:33 pm
KODIAK, Alaska - A state wildlife trooper shot and killed a brown bear in Kodiak following a week of reported bear sightings in the community, including near an elementary school where the animal was ultimately killed.
- Man charged after bear shot on western Maryland home's deck Updated: May-20-16 1:17 pm
OAKLAND, Maryland - A western Maryland man has been charged with hunting black bear out of season after Department of Natural Resources officials say he shot a sow with yearlings on his deck and left her for dead.
- Pioneer Pass Campground in Globe closed after bear sightings Updated: May-20-16 5:45 am
GLOBE, Arizona - Tonto National Forest officials have issued a temporary closure at the Pioneer Pass Campground in the Pinal Mountains because of repeated bear sightings.
- Boy hunting black bears kills 500-pound grizzly in E. Idaho Updated: May-19-16 5:35 pm
ISLAND PARK, Idaho - Authorities say a 15-year-old boy hunting black bears with his father mistakenly shot and killed a 500-pound male grizzly bear in eastern Idaho.
- New Castle Co. residents report seeing black bear in area Updated: May-19-16 3:02 am
WILMINGTON, Delaware - New Castle County police have received reports of black bear sightings in residential areas.
- Utah lawmakers again decry possible Bears Ears monument Updated: May-18-16 9:36 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah's Republican-dominated Legislature trumpeted its opposition Wednesday to a possible national monument in the Bears Ears area of southeastern Utah.
- Bear causes ruckus in Southern California foothill suburb Updated: May-18-16 4:08 pm
RANCHO CUCAMONGA, California - Wildlife authorities have tranquilized a bear that rambled through a Southern California foothill suburb before taking refuge in a tree.
- Taiwan panda's 'proof of life' photo debunks death rumors Updated: May-18-16 7:24 am
BEIJING - The subject of the photo looks out from behind bars, with newspapers arranged in front of him to prove what day it is. This "proof of life" shot is not a scene from a kidnapping but an effort by the Taipei Zoo to debunk rumors that a prized panda recently died.
- Bear suspected in Pike beehive turnovers Updated: May-18-16 3:28 am
MCCOMB, Mississippi - A beekeeper in Pike County says he suspects that a black bear has marauded some of his hives.
- Officials: Man kills black bear attacking his chicken coop Updated: May-17-16 9:38 am
THETFORD, Vermont - Officials say a Vermont resident fatally shot a black bear after he caught the bruin killing chickens inside his chicken coop.
- Reported bear sighting near Carson City park Updated: May-16-16 10:51 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Carson City parks officials are warning residents to be on the lookout after a reported sighting of a female bear with cubs near Fuji Park.
- Workers rescue 3 cubs from tree after mother is electrocuted Updated: May-16-16 5:46 pm
GARDNER, Massachusetts - Massachusetts environmental workers have come to the aid of three bear cubs after their mother was electrocuted by a transformer.
- Bear possibly spotted in Gwinnett County Updated: May-16-16 7:09 am
SUGAR HILL, Georgia - Authorities are warning residents of a possible bear sighting in Gwinnett County.
- Connecticut boarding school's reunion crashed by black bear Updated: May-16-16 7:00 am
WALLINGFORD, Connecticut - Alumni of a prestigious boarding school in Connecticut formed a crowd to watch a state Department of Environmental Protection officer remove a furry party crasher from their reunion over the weekend.
- Grizzly bear chased into abandoned granary in Montana Updated: May-15-16 6:31 pm
CONRAD, Montana - Wildlife officials say a grizzly bear found refuge in a deserted homestead building in northern Montana after being chased by a pickup truck.