- People gather to mourn slain Oregon police officer Updated: Feb-12-16 7:19 pm
SEASIDE, Oregon - People gathered with flags and flowers on Friday to remember an officer slain while on duty last week in Seaside, Oregon.
- Ex-Indiana Gov. Whitcomb recalled as someone who 'lived big' Updated: Feb-12-16 5:25 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Former Indiana Gov. Edgar Whitcomb was remembered Friday as a patriot and a hero during a Statehouse memorial service that recalled his service during World War II and his escape from a Japanese prisoner camp as much as his time as the state's top executive.
- Funeral set for Panthers fan who died in San Francisco Updated: Feb-12-16 5:15 pm
LANCASTER, South Carolina - The funeral for a South Carolina man who collapsed and died during a family outing to the Super Bowl will be held Saturday in Lancaster, his widow said.
- Italy mourns, premier demands truth from Egypt in slaying Updated: Feb-12-16 1:32 pm
ROME - As Italians mourned, Italy's premier insisted Friday that his country's friendship with Egypt can only exist "if the truth emerges" about the death of an Italian doctoral student who was doing research in Cairo.
- Funeral arrangements made for second slain Maryland deputy Updated: Feb-12-16 12:57 pm
JOPPA, Maryland - Funeral arrangements have been announced for a second Harford County sheriff's deputy slain in Abingdon.
- Traffic delays expected as Seaside mourns fallen officer Updated: Feb-12-16 11:11 am
SEASIDE, Oregon - The Oregon Department of Transportation reminds those traveling to the North Coast that traffic will be slow on U.S. 101 because of the public memorial for Seaside Police Sgt. Jason Goodding.
- Sioux Steel workers mark 1-year anniversary of shooting Updated: Feb-12-16 7:05 am
LENNOX, South Dakota - Sioux Steel workers in Lennox are marking the one-year anniversary of a workplace shooting that left two dead and two others seriously injured.
- Wreath-laying to mark 207th anniversary of Lincoln's birth Updated: Feb-12-16 2:15 am
WASHINGTON - History buffs and admirers of Abraham Lincoln who want to mark the 207th anniversary of his birth can attend a wreath-laying at the Lincoln Memorial.
- Taiwanese leaders and victims' families hold quake memorial Updated: Feb-11-16 11:11 pm
TAINAN, Taiwan - Taiwanese leaders and relatives held a memorial service on Friday for victims of last weekend's earthquake as the official death toll rose to 94.
- The Latest: Funeral arrangement for deputy announced Updated: Feb-11-16 8:44 pm
ABINGDON, Maryland - The Latest on a gunman fatally shooting two sheriff's deputies and being killed in a shootout (all times local):
- Sushil Koirala, Nepal's former prime minister, dies at 78 Updated: Feb-09-16 8:14 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Sushil Koirala, a former Nepalese prime minister and leader of the nation's largest political party, has died in Kathmandu. He was 78.
- The Latest: Former Mayor Buddy Cianci laid to rest Updated: Feb-08-16 4:32 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Latest on Buddy Cianci, the wisecracking politician who led the city of Providence during a turbulent and troubled six terms as mayor, being laid to rest (all times local):
- Providence says goodbye to colorful ex-Mayor Buddy Cianci Updated: Feb-08-16 3:30 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Providence said goodbye on Monday to former Mayor Buddy Cianci, the wisecracking king of one-liners who led the city during a turbulent and troubled six terms.
- Memorial service scheduled for slain Seaside police officer Updated: Feb-08-16 9:56 am
SEASIDE, Oregon - A memorial service has been scheduled for Sgt. Jason Goodding, the Seaside police officer killed while trying to make an arrest.
- NYC man killed by falling crane eulogized as generous, kind Updated: Feb-07-16 6:53 pm
NEW YORK - A pedestrian killed by a collapsing crane was eulogized Sunday as a man of kindness and generosity as the final remnants of the crumpled steel were removed from the Manhattan street where they fell.
- The Latest: NYC mayor issues construction crane safety plan Updated: Feb-07-16 3:20 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on the collapse of a construction crane, which killed a pedestrian (all times local):
- Cliven Bundy talks grazing contracts at Finicum funeral Updated: Feb-07-16 2:59 pm
KANAB, Utah - Cliven Bundy spoke against grazing contracts Friday during a funeral for an Oregon occupation leader who urged ranchers to disavow their contracts with the government.
- Smoking materials likely cause of Flight 93 memorial fire Updated: Feb-06-16 7:04 pm
SHANKSVILLE, Pennsylvania - Discarded smoking material is strongly suspected as the cause of a 2014 fire that struck the Flight 93 National Memorial, according to a report released Saturday.
- Memorial for fallen law officers to be dedicated Feb. 13 Updated: Feb-06-16 3:55 am
SIERRA VISTA, Arizona - A Feb. 13 dedication is planned in Sierra Vista for a new memorial honoring law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty in Cochise County.
- Funeral held for jump shot pioneer Kenny Sailors Updated: Feb-05-16 11:46 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - Kenny Sailors, the college basketball Hall of Famer credited by some with being the first to use the modern jump shot, was remembered at his funeral as a deeply religious man who inspired others to always do their best.
- Political leaders attend Powers' funeral Updated: Feb-05-16 6:56 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Bidding farewell to Georgia Davis Powers, her family, friends and admirers turned the civil-right icon's funeral into a celebration of a life that broke down barriers for women and African-Americans.
- 12 bus routes detoured for Buddy Cianci funeral Updated: Feb-05-16 12:54 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Twelve bus routes will be detoured and bus stops relocated to accommodate the funeral procession for former Providence Mayor Buddy Cianci.
- Upstate NY veterans to honor WWII's heroic Four Chaplains Updated: Feb-05-16 6:23 am
MECHANICVILLE, New York - A memorial event is being held at an upstate New York veterans organization to commemorate the sacrifices of a group of World War II Army clergymen known as the Four Chaplains.
- The Latest: Hundreds mourn slain 13-year-old at funeral Updated: Feb-04-16 7:44 pm
BLACKSBURG, Virginia - The Latest on charges against two Virginia Tech students in the death of a 13-year-old girl (all times local):
- State leaders pay tribute to Georgia Davis Powers Updated: Feb-04-16 6:59 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - When Regena Thomas took office last decade as New Jersey's secretary of state, her thoughts turned to her mentor in Kentucky - civil rights icon and longtime state legislator Georgia Davis Powers.