- IDOT to halt road work in many areas during holiday weekend Updated: May-26-16 10:45 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois Department of Transportation says it is halting road construction in many areas of the state during the Memorial Day weekend.
- Plenty of state park campsites available for holiday weekend Updated: May-26-16 9:24 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Officials say plenty of sites remain available at Michigan state park campgrounds for the Memorial Day weekend.
- Slain Phoenix officer remembered as 'larger than life' Updated: May-26-16 7:37 pm
PHOENIX - A Phoenix police officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty was remembered Thursday as a devoted family man whose imposing build was only overshadowed by his propensity to help others.
- Pierre honoring war hero Waldron with memorial dedication Updated: May-26-16 7:18 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - A Fort Pierre war hero who served in World War II is being honored Friday on the anniversary of the Battle of Midway.
- Funeral services set for officer shot during traffic stop Updated: May-26-16 7:01 pm
CHARLTON, Massachusetts - Police from New England and around the country marched in solemn formation to a church in a small Massachusetts community Thursday, as a wake was held for an officer who was fatally shot during a traffic stop.
- The Latest: Slain Phoenix police officer laid to rest Updated: May-26-16 5:52 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on the funeral service and burial of a Phoenix police officer (all times local):
- Soldiers placing 230,000 US flags at Arlington Cemetery Updated: May-26-16 5:42 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Soldiers are placing nearly a quarter of a million U.S. flags at Arlington National Cemetery as part of a Memorial Day tradition.
- New England beachgoers warned: Don't take selfies with seals Updated: May-26-16 5:38 pm
BOSTON - The feds have a warning for beachgoers in New England during Memorial Day weekend: Don't take selfies with the seals.
- The Latest: Wake held for officer shot during traffic stop Updated: May-26-16 5:25 pm
CHARLTON, Massachusetts - The Latest on the final respects for a Massachusetts police officer shot and killed during a traffic stop (all times local):
- Former Marine freed from prison in Iran attends memorial Updated: May-26-16 4:38 pm
LANSING, Michigan - A former U.S. Marine who was jailed in Iran for more than four years until his January release said Memorial Day is "bittersweet" during his Thursday visit to the Michigan state Senate for memorial services.
- Los Angeles airport flights interrupted by equipment outage Updated: May-26-16 3:17 pm
LOS ANGELES - More than 150 flights in and out of Los Angeles International Airport were affected by a one-hour ground-stop order on the eve of the busy Memorial Day weekend travel period.
- WWII soldiers' remains to return to hometowns in Minnesota Updated: May-26-16 2:41 pm
BLOOMINGTON, Minnesota - The remains of two World War II soldiers from Minnesota who died in combat will finally be returned to their respective hometowns this Memorial Day weekend, nearly 72 years after their deaths.
- Meramec Caverns to stay closed through holiday weekend Updated: May-26-16 2:08 pm
STANTON, Missouri - Meramec Caverns, a popular Missouri attraction that draws thousands of visitors each year, will remain closed through the Memorial Day weekend because of potentially harmful vapors discovered late last year.
- Authorities may close parts of Missouri rivers to paddlers Updated: May-26-16 1:23 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - Authorities have been closely monitoring high water levels along the Current and Jacks Fork rivers in southwest Missouri to determine if sections of the rivers have to be closed to canoes and kayaks for the Memorial Day weekend.
- State police plan stepped-up Memorial Day weekend patrols Updated: May-26-16 10:07 am
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan State Police are planning stepped-up traffic enforcement for the Memorial Day weekend.
- 3 swimmers rescued from ocean at Jersey shore Updated: May-26-16 6:49 am
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, New Jersey - Three swimmers were rescued from the ocean by lifeguards preparing for the Memorial Day holiday weekend in Seaside Heights.
- Harrah's Gulf Coast completes $14 million hotel redo Updated: May-26-16 6:32 am
BILOXI, Mississippi - Harrah's Gulf Coast hotel has completed a $14 million renovation just in time for the Memorial Day weekend.
- NY police to step up enforcement over Memorial Day weekend Updated: May-26-16 6:08 am
ALBANY, New York - Police in New York state say they will increase patrols to stop drunken driving and reckless motorists this Memorial Day weekend.
- Democracy helps fulfill long-dead Myanmar teen's last wish Updated: May-26-16 4:40 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Dying from soldiers' bullets, the young protester told her father not to lay her soul to rest until democracy reigned in her homeland. It has taken 28 years, but it is done.
- Haslam to memorialize victims of Chattanooga shooting Updated: May-26-16 4:30 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam plans to honor four Marines and a sailor killed in last year's shootings in Chattanooga as part of a Memorial Day ceremony on Friday.
- Virginia State Police gathering to remember fallen officers Updated: May-26-16 4:03 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia State Police and their families are preparing to gather to remember law enforcement officials who have died.
- Metro: weekend work to rail riders over Memorial Day weekend Updated: May-26-16 3:52 am
WASHINGTON - Metro says weekend work will affect riders using the rail system over the Memorial Day holiday.
- Reed Deer beats Brandon 2-1 in OT in Memorial Cup Updated: May-25-16 11:38 pm
RED DEER, Alberta - Evan Polei scored at 3:50 of overtime to give the host Red Deer Rebels a 2-1 victory over the Brandon Wheat Kings on Wednesday night in the Memorial Cup junior hockey tournament.
- Iowa School for the Deaf marks 20th memorial service Updated: May-25-16 1:33 pm
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - A school for the deaf in Council Bluffs has held its 20th memorial service for deceased students and staff buried on its campus.
- Jamestown officer killed in crash to be laid to rest Updated: May-25-16 11:38 am
JAMESTOWN, Rhode Island - A Rhode Island police officer killed in a wrong-way crash on Interstate 95 will be laid to rest this weekend.