- A-Rod, Yanks settle dispute, he gets ball from 3,000th hit Updated: Jul-03-15 8:40 pm
NEW YORK - Alex Rodriguez and the Yankees settled their dispute over a marketing payment with a deal announced Friday that gives $3.5 million to charitable groups, saves the team $5.5 million and gets A-Rod the home run ball from his 3,000th hit.
- Fireworks displays costly, but communities feel obligated Updated: Jul-03-15 2:56 pm
PITTSBURGH - Butler residents nearly went berserk this year when Mayor Tom Donaldson said the city could not afford an annual Independence Day fireworks display.
- $3M donated for scholarships in wake of Charleston shootings Updated: Jul-02-15 8:13 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - A group of anonymous donors from outside South Carolina has given $3 million to start a fund for college scholarships for Charleston-area students following the slaying of nine people at a historic black church last month.
- Winton's rescue of Jewish children revealed after 50 years Updated: Jul-02-15 11:15 am
LONDON - "Is there anyone in our audience tonight who owes their life to Nicholas Winton?" asked the presenter of the popular BBC magazine program "That's Life".
- Grotto works to help disabled children get dental care Updated: Jul-02-15 9:17 am
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - Getting to the dentist can be hard for anyone, but for children with special needs, the challenge is even greater.
- Kent State president proposes tripling university endowment Updated: Jul-02-15 8:41 am
KENT, Ohio - The president of Kent State University has proposed more than tripling the school's endowment to provide more student scholarships and add faculty positions.
- New Orleans considers new downtown homeless shelter Updated: Jul-01-15 4:02 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A coalition is developing plans for raising $7 million to build a homeless shelter in downtown New Orleans.
- Nicholas Winton, savior of Jewish children, dies at 106 Updated: Jul-01-15 2:47 pm
LONDON - He was just a 29-year-old clerk at the London Stock Exchange when he faced the challenge of a lifetime. Traveling with a friend to Czechoslovakia in 1938, as the drums of impending war echoed around Europe, Nicholas Winton was hit by a key realization.
- Billionaire Saudi prince vows to donate $32 billion fortune Updated: Jul-01-15 10:44 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Saudi Arabia's billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, one of the world's richest people, has announced he will donate all of his wealth to charity over the coming years.
- Inert grenades found in Massachusetts charity's donation bin Updated: Jul-01-15 8:46 am
DUDLEY, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts State Police bomb squad was called to a convenience store after three inactive grenades were found inside a clothing and toy donation bin.
- Hope College's new art museum to feature major donation Updated: Jun-30-15 5:11 pm
HOLLAND, Michigan - A donation of Asian art worth more than $1.2 million has significantly boosted the collection of a new museum opening at a liberal arts college in western Michigan.
- W.Va. Lottery officials say charity 'casino nights' illegal Updated: Jun-30-15 9:28 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia Lottery officials say "casino night" fundraisers conducted by charitable organizations are illegal.
- University of Miami grad donates $1 million to school Updated: Jun-30-15 8:53 am
CORAL GABLES, Florida - A University of Miami graduate has donated $1 million to the school, money that will perpetually fund a scholarship for a football player.
- Patterson announces first round of grants to schools Updated: Jun-30-15 7:35 am
NEW YORK - James Patterson is announcing the first round of school libraries to receive grants from an initiative he and Scholastic Reading Club launched in March, and he continues to raise the amount of money he will donate.
- Firm gives $10 million to new U of Illinois med school Updated: Jun-30-15 4:09 am
URBANA, Illinois - A Chicago-based financial firm is giving the University of Illinois $10 million to pay for a training center at the school's planned new medical school.
- Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan awards $26M Updated: Jun-29-15 9:14 am
DETROIT - The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan has approved grants totaling more than $26 million.
- Golf tournament raises $1.5 million for charity Updated: Jun-29-15 7:01 am
CROMWELL, Connecticut - Travelers says the just concluded Travelers Championship golf tournament in Cromwell generated more than $1.5 million for charity.
- Boston Bar Foundation awards $950k for legal help to poor Updated: Jun-28-15 6:47 pm
BOSTON - The Boston Bar Foundation has awarded $950,000 in grants to 23 community organizations that work to provide legal services to low-income people.
- $1.8M estate gift benefits UW education students Updated: Jun-28-15 3:43 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - The University of Wyoming is receiving an estate gift of $1.8 million from former educator Raymond D. Kennedy, of Laramie.
- Donors raise $71K so far for Niobrara County flood victims Updated: Jun-28-15 3:32 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - The Niobrara Recovery Committee has raised over $71,500 and distributed about $38,800 of that to businesses and homeowners directly affected by the June 4 flood.
- Fundraising almost complete for Cedar Falls beach house Updated: Jun-28-15 11:38 am
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa - It's built like a brick ... beach house. Well, actually, it's concrete block.
- Fireworks fund high school activities in at least 2 cities Updated: Jun-28-15 10:50 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - Fireworks stands have begun opening in areas that allow such sales around the Shoals.
- Pork donation to fill Iowa food pantry freezers Updated: Jun-27-15 6:17 pm
IOWA FALLS, Iowa - Iowa food pantries will benefit from a donation of about 44,000 pounds of fresh boneless pork loins being made by the Deb and Jeff Hansen Foundation and Iowa Select Farms.
- Arkansas animal shelter seeks donations to stay open Updated: Jun-27-15 2:20 pm
PARAGOULD, Arkansas - The director of a northeast Arkansas animal shelter says the operation could close without community donations.
- Musicians 'lend down a hand' at Down Syndrome fundraiser Updated: Jun-27-15 12:04 pm
JACKSON, Tennessee - Country stars from Nashville came to Jackson to support the Down Syndrome Association of West Tennessee with live performances at the Casey Jones Amphitheater.