- FIFA candidate Ali queries Salman's role in Bahrain protests Updated: Feb-11-16 8:25 am
GENEVA - FIFA presidential candidate Prince Ali has questioned the role of election rival Sheikh Salman in not protecting Bahrain players who alleged abuses after pro-democracy protests in 2011.
- The Latest: Germany extends border controls for 3 months Updated: Feb-11-16 8:16 am
BRUSSELS - The Latest on the massive influx of migrants into Europe (all times local):
- Tennis legend King praises women's rights icon at NY event Updated: Feb-11-16 8:01 am
ROCHESTER, New York - Tennis legend Billie Jean King has treated the audience at a Rochester speaking event to a few souvenirs.
- Berlin Film Festival jury questioned over diversity Updated: Feb-11-16 7:53 am
BERLIN - The Berlin International Film Festival became embroiled in the debate about diversity in the movie industry Thursday, with jury president Meryl Streep dismissing questions about the all-white panel by telling reporters that "we're all Africans really."
- South African police captain arrested in fatal beatings Updated: Feb-11-16 7:44 am
JOHANNESBURG - South African authorities say a police captain faces murder charges for allegedly helping four farmers beat two suspected thieves to death in a case that ignited racial tension in a rural town.
- Kenai Peninsula remains top location for affordable housing Updated: Feb-11-16 7:25 am
KENAI, Alaska - While the price for homes is cheaper in Fairbanks, purchasing a home in the Kenai Peninsula Borough may be the most affordable option statewide.
- Venison from deer killed in Ann Arbor going to feed hungry Updated: Feb-11-16 6:53 am
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - Venison from deer killed by sharpshooters hired to reduce the deer population in Ann Arbor parks is being processed to help feed the hungry.
- Viewers' Guide: Post-NH, a tense Clinton-Sanders rematch Updated: Feb-11-16 6:50 am
WASHINGTON - Grudge match.
- NATO warships ordered to Aegean to help with migrant crisis Updated: Feb-11-16 6:38 am
BRUSSELS - NATO's European commander on Thursday ordered three warships to move immediately to the Aegean Sea to help end the deadly smuggling of migrants between Turkey and Greece.
- Bangladesh court confirms death sentences for 3 Updated: Feb-11-16 6:37 am
NEW DELHI - A Bangladesh appeals court on Thursday confirmed the death sentences handed to the head of a banned Islamist group and two of his associates for a 2004 grenade attack on a former British diplomat at a prominent Islamic shrine.
- Tupelo school system moves forward on building safe rooms Updated: Feb-11-16 6:30 am
TOPELO, Mississippi - The Tupelo Public School District is moving forward with construction of storm shelters at three elementary schools.
- The Latest: UN warns of humanitarian crisis near Homs Updated: Feb-11-16 6:24 am
BEIRUT - The Latest developments on the war in Syria, the refugee crisis and security talks in Munich, Germany. (all times local):
- Transgender bathroom bill to be considered by Senate panel Updated: Feb-11-16 6:14 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - A Senate panel is set to debate a bill that would require students to use bathrooms and locker rooms that match their biological sex at birth.
- Pakistan army confirms death sentences for 12 militants Updated: Feb-11-16 6:04 am
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's powerful army chief, Gen. Raheel Sharif, on Thursday confirmed death sentences awarded by military courts to 12 "hardcore terrorists" over their involvement in a series of attacks against security forces, the military said.
- SWAT team ends police standoff in Pittsburgh Updated: Feb-11-16 6:00 am
PITTSBURGH - A SWAT team peacefully ended a standoff with a domestic violence suspect in Pittsburgh's Mount Washington section.
- Ex-deputy sentenced on charge of sex with underage students Updated: Feb-11-16 5:56 am
CLANTON, Alabama - A former sheriff's deputy who also was a Chilton County school resource officer and teacher has been sentenced to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to multiple counts of sexual conduct with underage students.
- Ex-army chief's appointment as Sri Lanka lawmaker criticized Updated: Feb-11-16 5:55 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - An international rights group said Thursday that the Sri Lankan government's decision to appoint the civil war-winning general to Parliament contradicts its pledges to investigate alleged abuses under his command.
- Students call for Atlanta high school to be renamed Updated: Feb-11-16 5:53 am
ATLANTA - The newspaper staff at Atlanta's Grady High School is calling for the removal of their school's name.
- White parks worker gets $3.8 million in racial bias lawsuit Updated: Feb-11-16 5:34 am
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles officials have agreed to pay nearly $3.8 million to a former city parks worker who accused a supervisor of discriminating against him because he is white.
- UAB to improve access after disabilities act complaint Updated: Feb-11-16 5:27 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The University of Alabama at Birmingham has reached a settlement to ensure equal access for people with disabilities to the university's facilities.
- 2 charged after 21 dogs found in 'deplorable' conditions Updated: Feb-11-16 5:06 am
MACON, Georgia - A man and a woman are facing charges after authorities say they discovered 21 dogs living in deplorable conditions at an east Macon home.
- Several states seek to block 2nd trimester abortion method Updated: Feb-11-16 4:33 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Abortion opponents in Mississippi, West Virginia and several other states are filing bills to ban an abortion procedure commonly used in the second trimester that opponents describe as dismembering a fetus.
- Tennessee House scheduled to vote on school voucher proposal Updated: Feb-11-16 4:05 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A proposal to create a school voucher program to help cover private school tuition for children attending some Tennessee's worst public schools is scheduled for a floor vote in the state House on Thursday.
- Cruz, Santorum participating in SC discussion on race Updated: Feb-11-16 4:04 am
ROCK HILL, South Carolina - At least two of the remaining Republican presidential hopefuls are coming to South Carolina to discuss race issues.
- Next up for Democrats: Nevada, an entirely different state Updated: Feb-11-16 3:53 am
LAS VEGAS - Forget the snowy, small towns of Iowa and New Hampshire. The Democratic presidential contest now shifts to Nevada.