- Christie faces decision on gender-equality legislation Updated: Apr-30-16 9:13 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - The next chapter in an ongoing disagreement between Republican Gov. Chris Christie and the Democrat-led Legislature over gender equality legislation is about to be written.
- Air strikes on Aleppo amid calm in other parts of Syria Updated: Apr-30-16 9:01 am
BEIRUT - Syrian government warplanes and helicopter gunships launched new airstrikes Saturday on insurgent-held neighborhoods in the northern city of Aleppo. The fresh violence comes as the International Committee of the Red Cross warned that the intensification of fighting brings millions of people closer to a humanitarian disaster.
- NY issues guidelines for avoiding conflicts with coyotes Updated: Apr-30-16 8:30 am
ALBANY, New York - State environmental conservation officials are issuing guidance on how New Yorkers can avoid conflicts with coyotes as spring temperatures rise and the animals increase foraging.
- Educated migrants have edge as Germany aims for integration Updated: Apr-30-16 7:14 am
BERLIN - Wafaa Askar arrived in Germany barely a year and a half ago from her Syrian homeland, but she already speaks German fluently and counts more Germans than Syrians as friends. Orhan Sahin arrived from Turkey more than three decades ago, but still feels like a foreigner and speaks in broken German.
- 8 killed in 1982 Investor murders remembered in exhibit Updated: Apr-30-16 7:01 am
BELLINGHAM, Washington - Does the time ever come when a community stops remembering a murdered group of its own? In the case of Blaine, possibly not.
- Abuse survivor begins new life after prison Updated: Apr-30-16 3:01 am
PENSACOLA, Florida - The hard part about meeting Deidre Cox is reconciling the present day version of this gracious woman with the description of the person who was sentenced to prison in 2008 after escaping from a work release program.
- Ex-priest gets 20-40 years in prison for sexual assault Updated: Apr-30-16 1:50 am
JACKSON, Michigan - Victims confronted a former Roman Catholic priest in court Friday as he was sentenced to at least 20 years in prison for sexually abusing students at a Michigan high school in the 1980s.
- Bill allowing medical marijuana for kids clears Senate Updated: Apr-29-16 11:52 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A bill that that would allow minors with certain debilitating conditions to use Connecticut's medical marijuana program has cleared its final legislative hurdle.
- Lawmakers overturn LePage Narcan veto, falter on solar bill Updated: Apr-29-16 11:27 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - With five state residents dying each week from drug overdoses, lawmakers on Friday overwhelmingly rejected Republican Gov. Paul LePage's veto of a bill that would increase availability of an overdose antidote. But they failed to overcome his veto of a bill to modernize state policies on solar power.
- The Latest: Hawaii advances bills on hot classrooms, ferries Updated: Apr-29-16 11:04 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the Hawaii Legislature negotiating dozens of bills before a deadline (all times local):
- Argentina's big unions join to protest layoffs, inflation Updated: Apr-29-16 10:58 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's strongest unions brought thousands of people into the streets Friday to protest high inflation and job cuts in the biggest demonstrations against President Mauricio Macri since he took office in December.
- Hawaii selects businesses for medical pot but excludes actor Updated: Apr-29-16 9:57 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii selected eight businesses Friday to open medical marijuana dispensaries - but not one owned by Woody Harrelson.
- After more than 4 decades in prison, Gary Tyler finally free Updated: Apr-29-16 9:22 pm
NEW ORLEANS - After almost 42 years at Louisiana's maximum security prison, Gary Tyler is a free man.
- Man shot by police had gunshot residue on hand Updated: Apr-29-16 9:15 pm
WILMINGTON, Delaware - A man fatally shot by Wilmington police while sitting in his wheelchair was armed with a revolver and had evidence of gunshot residue on his hand, according to a court filing Friday in which city attorneys asked a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the man's family, who has claimed he was unarmed.
- Tucson police: Suspicious person with gun seen near school Updated: Apr-29-16 8:51 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - Tucson police detained a person while investigating a report of a suspicious person who allegedly brandished a gun near an elementary school on the city's east side.
- The Latest: Kasich calls for balance on gay rights, religion Updated: Apr-29-16 7:40 pm
BURLINGAME, California - The Latest on the California Republican Party's convention, a stage for the GOP presidential candidates (all times local):
- 8 children, 2 tied up in backyard, rescued from Texas home Updated: Apr-29-16 7:33 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A late-night phone call to police about a crying child led to the discovery of eight children unsupervised at a San Antonio home, including a 2-year-old boy chained in the backyard and a 3-year-old girl tied to a door with a dog leash, authorities said Friday.
- Utah theater asks judge to block law in "Deadpool" case Updated: Apr-29-16 7:10 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah theater in trouble for serving booze during the movie "Deadpool" asked a judge to block enforcement of an obscenity law it says is so broad it would apply to an exhibit of Michelangelo's statue "David."
- The Latest: Iditarod bans musher in domestic violence case Updated: Apr-29-16 7:08 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Latest on the Iditarod banning a musher facing domestic violence charges from next year's race (all times local):
- 11 Cubans on 1984 list deported, but no US policy change Updated: Apr-29-16 7:06 pm
MIAMI - The U.S. has deported 11 Cubans under an agreement Washington made with Havana after a massive 1980 boatlift.
- Ex-sergeant jailed over locked computer in child-porn probe Updated: Apr-29-16 6:49 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A former Philadelphia police sergeant has spent seven months in solitary confinement after being held in contempt for failing to unlock his computers in a child-porn investigation.
- Driver accused of harassing reporter no longer with Uber Updated: Apr-29-16 6:42 pm
BOSTON - An Uber driver accused of making strong sexual advances toward a reporter last month is "no longer active" on the popular ride-hailing car service, Uber said Friday.
- Ban on female guards to be lifted in 9/11 case at Guantanamo Updated: Apr-29-16 6:40 pm
MIAMI - The military judge presiding over the Sept. 11 war crimes proceedings at Guantanamo Bay said in a ruling this week that he will eventually lift his order prohibiting female guards from having physical contact with the five defendants while transporting them around the U.S. base in Cuba.
- The Latest: 2 kids found in Texas home still hospitalized Updated: Apr-29-16 6:33 pm
SAN ANTONIO - The Latest on authorities finding eight unsupervised children at a San Antonio home, including two toddlers found tied up in the backyard (all times local):
- The Latest: Maine boosts availability of overdose antidote Updated: Apr-29-16 6:30 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Latest on veto votes by the Maine Legislature (all times local):