- Eugene police officer accused of assaulting suspect in jail Updated: Jul-30-15 8:04 am
EUGENE, Oregon - A veteran Eugene police officer has been accused of beating a suspect in the Lane County Jail last September.
- Israel passes law sanctioning force-feeding prisoners Updated: Jul-30-15 7:19 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's parliament passed a contentious law on Thursday that would permit the force-feeding of inmates on hunger strike, eliciting harsh criticism over the practice.
- Mission to cut back services for homeless in Cedar Rapids Updated: Jul-30-15 7:10 am
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - An official says a nonprofit that helps the homeless in Cedar Rapids will have to trim services next month because money is tight.
- Civil rights museum in Greensboro losing money Updated: Jul-30-15 7:08 am
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - An audit shows the International Civil Rights Center & Museum in Greensboro spent $2 million more than it took in during the last three years.
- Trump arrives in Scotland for Women's British Open golf Updated: Jul-30-15 6:43 am
TURNBERRY, Scotland - Presidential contender Donald Trump arrived at his Turnberry golf resort in western Scotland on Thursday for the first day of the Women's British Open, declaring "the world has asked me to be here."
- Nevada medical marijuana patient acquitted of drug charges Updated: Jul-30-15 6:16 am
LAS VEGAS - A Las Vegas medical marijuana patient who was accused of preparing to sell drugs has been acquitted of two felony drug charges.
- Scio animal sanctuary faces funding shortfall Updated: Jul-30-15 6:16 am
SCIO, Oregon - A Scio animal sanctuary is facing foreclosure if it cannot raise $300,000 by April 2017.
- India hangs only man sentenced to die for 1993 Mumbai blasts Updated: Jul-30-15 5:23 am
NEW DELHI - An Indian accountant and the only person sentenced to death for his role in the 1993 Mumbai bombings that killed 257 people - the country's worst terrorist attack - was hanged Thursday on his birthday, after the president rejected a last-minute mercy plea amid a debate over the capital punishment.
- Youngest refugees bear brunt of Syrian war woes Updated: Jul-30-15 5:09 am
MAFRAQ, Jordan - Gathered on the desert floor, the Askar family chants prayers for their 1-year-old daughter Jawahir, who died of malnutrition and is buried beneath the sands of their informal refugee camp far from their Syrian hometown.
- District settles with teacher who claimed discrimination Updated: Jul-30-15 5:04 am
DENVER - A southern Colorado school district accused of promoting evangelical Christian ideals has reached a settlement with a teacher who filed a lawsuit claiming religious discrimination.
- Guard wins appeals of verdict in fatal prison fight Updated: Jul-30-15 4:05 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Damages levied against a Mississippi prison guard cited for recklessness during a 2007 fight in which an inmate died and two others were injured have been reversed by a federal appeals court.
- Investigator: Transgender girl killed was beaten to death Updated: Jul-30-15 3:10 am
LUCEDALE, Mississippi - An investigator says a transgender teenager who was found buried on the suspect's father's property in George County earlier this year was beaten to death.
- Lawsuit says Oakland Township zoning biased against elderly Updated: Jul-30-15 2:29 am
OAKLAND TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A developer and a former Oakland Township official are suing the Detroit-area township after plans to build a 282-unit development accommodating the elderly and disabled were denied.
- Lennon honored with artwork showing him in yellow submarine Updated: Jul-30-15 12:10 am
NEW YORK - Standing in front of artwork depicting Manhattan as a yellow submarine and John Lennon as the pilot displaying the peace sign, Yoko Ono joined Bono and other guests to honor her late husband Wednesday.
- Minnesota dentist rarely discussed hunting with patients Updated: Jul-29-15 10:25 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A Minnesota dentist who has become the target of worldwide outrage for hunting and killing a protected lion in Zimbabwe advised patients Wednesday to seek care elsewhere and said he rarely discussed his big-game hunting because it can be a "divisive and emotionally charged topic."
- India execution brings out mixed feelings on punishment Updated: Jul-29-15 10:11 pm
NEW DELHI - Few countries sentence more people to death than India. Whether those punishments are actually carried out is another matter. Though well over a thousand people have been sent to death row this century, just four have been executed.
- Officials plan to clear Kakaako homeless encampment Updated: Jul-29-15 9:58 pm
HONOLULU - Honolulu officials say they're planning to sweep a homeless encampment in Kakaako within the next month.
- Alabama prisoner, in court documents, drops bid for abortion Updated: Jul-29-15 9:14 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - An Alabama prisoner who went to federal court seeking an abortion filed a court document Wednesday saying she'd changed her mind and wanted to give birth, after the state had sought to prevent her from undergoing the procedure.
- Planned Parenthood seeks fed study of fetal tissue research Updated: Jul-29-15 9:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Under fire for its role in providing fetal tissue for research, Planned Parenthood asked the government's top health scientists Wednesday to convene a panel of independent experts to study the issues surrounding the little-known branch of medicine.
- Massachusetts officials attend church service for Baby Doe Updated: Jul-29-15 8:35 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts officials have attended a memorial Mass near the Statehouse for a young girl whose body was found in a trash bag last month.
- Lawsuit: Disabled defendants not getting timely treatment Updated: Jul-29-15 8:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - California officials are leaving mentally ill or disabled criminal defendants to languish in jail for months before getting them required treatment, the American Civil Liberties Union said in a lawsuit filed on Wednesday.
- Prosecutors charge teen with murder in death of 8-year-old Updated: Jul-29-15 8:16 pm
SANTA CRUZ, California - Prosecutors charged a 15-year-old boy with murder, kidnapping and rape Wednesday in the death of an 8-year-old girl in an artists complex in a California beach town.
- Prescription drug abuse reduction initiative launched Updated: Jul-29-15 8:11 pm
HELENA, Montana - An initiative launched Wednesday in Montana aims to curb rampant prescription drug abuse.
- Ex-Navy SEAL alleges anti-gay bullying by CIA workers Updated: Jul-29-15 8:04 pm
SAN DIEGO - A former Navy SEAL has filed an internal complaint alleging the CIA bullied him for being gay during a work assignment in June in Afghanistan.
- Court bars anti-abortion group from releasing new videos Updated: Jul-29-15 8:02 pm
LOS ANGELES - A temporary restraining order has been issued preventing an anti-abortion group from releasing any video of leaders of a California company that provides fetal tissue to researchers. The group is the same one that previously released three covertly shot videos of a Planned Parenthood leader discussing the sale of aborted fetuses for research.