- Creditors: Minnesota archdiocese sitting on $1.7 billion Updated: May-24-16 1:11 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Creditors and an attorney for victims of clergy abuse are accusing a Minnesota archdiocese of vastly understating its assets in bankruptcy.
- On human rights, Obama finds Vietnam a work in progress Updated: May-24-16 12:55 pm
HO CHI MINH CITY, Vietnam - When President Barack Obama met with human rights advocates and other activists Tuesday, he spoke of the "remarkable strides" Vietnam was making on a range of issues. Nguyen Quang A missed the meeting: That morning, the 70-year-old activist said, security men grabbed his arms and legs, threw him in a car and drove him into the countryside, where they held him until Obama left town.
- Ryan to block surprise amendments after gay rights flap Updated: May-24-16 12:55 pm
WASHINGTON - Speaker Paul Ryan is taking steps to bring greater order to the House floor after a Democrat-authored gay rights amendment caused chaos last week.
- Alleged Islamic State sympathizer arrested on terror charge Updated: May-24-16 12:54 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City man rejected twice trying to enter the United Kingdom after his camouflage clothing, nunchakus and Islamic State flag images on his cellphone raised suspicions was arrested Tuesday on charges that he tried to assist the terrorism group.
- Clinton teacher accused in student sex abuse case Updated: May-24-16 12:52 pm
CLINTON, Iowa - An eastern Iowa teacher is accused of having sexual contact with a 15-year-old student.
- Attorney argues redistricting plan clearly hurts Democrats Updated: May-24-16 12:41 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A GOP plan that reworked the Wisconsin Assembly's district lines was one of the worst examples of partisan gerrymandering in American history, an attorney challenging the new boundaries argued Tuesday.
- Rights group: South Sudan army violated civilians in Wau Updated: May-24-16 12:40 pm
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudanese government soldiers killed, raped, tortured, and detained dozens of civilians in and around Wau town in the country's western Bahr el Ghazal state in recent months, Human Rights Watch said in a report released Tuesday.
- EU leader pledges help in ending Poland's crisis soon Updated: May-24-16 12:26 pm
WARSAW, Poland - A senior European Union leader has pledged support in finding a solution soon to Poland's political crisis that has strained the country's ties with Brussels.
- Senators air rights concerns about India ahead of PM's visit Updated: May-24-16 12:25 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. lawmakers said Tuesday they are encouraged by growing defense cooperation with India but remain concerned about religious intolerance and slavery in the South Asian nation ahead of a visit by its prime minister.
- Virginia minister arrested on child pornography charges Updated: May-24-16 11:57 am
ISLE OF WIGHT, Virginia - A Virginia minister has been arrested in connection to an ongoing child pornography investigation.
- College teacher who used racial slur in class fired Updated: May-24-16 11:53 am
LAWRENCE, Kansas - A white University of Kansas assistant professor who used a racial slur during a class discussion on race said the school won't renew her contract after the next academic year.
- NYC's police, firefighters brawl at charity football game Updated: May-24-16 11:48 am
NEW YORK - The New York Police Department says a melee that erupted at a charity football game between police and firefighters just shows that football is a competitive sport.
- San Francisco to consider stricter immigrant protections Updated: May-24-16 11:43 am
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco officials plan to take another run at clarifying the progressive city's protections for people in the country illegally, a policy that led to national criticism last year when a Mexican man was accused of shooting and killing a woman walking along a waterfront pier.
- Police seek suspect in road rage that locked down schools Updated: May-24-16 11:43 am
CORAOPOLIS, Pennsylvania - Police continued to search for a man who pulled a gun in an apparent road rage incident, prompting two western Pennsylvania schools to lockdown briefly.
- 'Little Syria' exhibit heading 'home' to New York Updated: May-24-16 11:43 am
DETROIT - An exhibition about one of the earliest Arab American settlements heads to places near the old New York neighborhood where it first laid roots, as well as the spot where many immigrants first set foot in the U.S.
- 'Grey's Anatomy' actor helps produce BET documentary Updated: May-24-16 11:31 am
NEW YORK - Actor Jesse Williams says he sees BET's documentary premiering Thursday on the Black Lives Matter movement as a time capsule capturing the conditions that led to the group's formation.
- Brussels police chief injured during anti-austerity clashes Updated: May-24-16 11:21 am
BRUSSELS - The Brussels police chief was injured during clashes at the end of Tuesday's major anti-austerity demonstration attended by around 50,000 people in the center of the Belgian capital.
- Illinois lawmaker, university spar over research animals Updated: May-24-16 11:20 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A bill that would've required universities in Illinois to offer healthy cats and dogs to rescue organizations after animal testing has provoked a dispute between its Democratic sponsor and the University of Illinois.
- 2 students suspended for firing airsoft guns at classmates Updated: May-24-16 11:13 am
POSTVILLE, Iowa - The Postville school superintendent in northeast Iowa says two sixth-graders have been suspended for shooting airsoft guns at five classmates.
- UN: Worsening humanitarian, security situation in Niger Updated: May-24-16 10:54 am
DAKAR, Senegal - The United Nations Refugee Agency says humanitarian conditions are worsening and insecurity is increasing in Niger's southeast Diffa region as thousands displaced by violence are forced to resettle.
- Greek police evacuate hundreds from Idomeni refugee camp Updated: May-24-16 10:30 am
IDOMENI, Greece - Greek authorities began the gradual evacuation of the country's largest informal refugee camp Tuesday, persuading more than 1,500 people to leave the Idomeni site for other organized facilities in northern Greece.
- Pharmacy board out as sole medical pot regulator in Ohio Updated: May-24-16 10:29 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A legislative proposal to regulate medical marijuana through Ohio's pharmacy board is being scrapped over concerns the rare setup nationally would create an undue burden on the state.
- Idaho man sues ISU over hostility toward his Mormon faith Updated: May-24-16 10:24 am
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - An Idaho Falls man is suing Idaho State University, claiming that he was discriminated against because of his Mormon faith.
- Northwestern Indiana city approves LGBT protections Updated: May-24-16 10:03 am
VALPARAISO, Indiana - Officials in a northwestern Indiana city have approved a local ordinance banning discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Texas mother gets 6 years for neglecting disabled daughter Updated: May-24-16 9:53 am
WICHITA FALLS, Texas - A judge has sentenced a North Texas woman to six years in prison for neglecting her disabled adult daughter and keeping her in a large crib in filthy conditions.