- California Assembly OKs ending use of bullhooks on elephants Updated: Aug-27-15 6:41 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California state Assembly has passed a bill to ban the use of bullhooks to guide and discipline elephants.
- McDonald's, Tyson cut ties with farmer tied to abuse video Updated: Aug-27-15 12:25 pm
NEW YORK - McDonald's and its supplier Tyson Foods say they've cut ties with a chicken farmer after an advocacy group released a video taken with a hidden camera that the group said showed abusive practices at its farm.
- Humane Society says new videos document walking horse abuse Updated: Aug-25-15 6:53 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Three years after a prominent Tennessee walking horse trainer pleaded guilty to abuse charges following the release of undercover videos, a new horse abuse investigation is under way.
- Officials in Dakotas look to contain invasive zebra mussels Updated: Aug-25-15 11:46 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - An invasive species of mollusks seen sporadically in the Dakotas in past years is establishing a population in two river systems - but state officials hope to prevent the zebra mussels from spreading to other reservoirs.
- Texas lab criticized over handling of monkeys for study Updated: Aug-24-15 5:38 pm
DALLAS - A prestigious laboratory in Texas is under federal investigation after auditors issued a preliminary report saying it did not do enough to prevent the suffering of primates who were infected with a deadly virus for a study of the disease.
- Liberians look for help to care for research chimps Updated: Aug-24-15 4:34 pm
CHIMPANZEE ISLAND, Liberia - Eleven chimpanzees rushed out from the bush and descended from trees to the shore, making jubilant sounds to greet the speed boat bringing food.
- Authorities bust dogfight as it happens in Chester County Updated: Aug-24-15 3:43 pm
RICHBURG, South Carolina - Authorities say they busted a dogfight as it happened in Chester County and arrested three people.
- Officials find neglected horses with 3-foot-long hooves Updated: Aug-24-15 11:16 am
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - The Humane Society of Washington County is investigating a situation that recently resulted in the euthanization of a miniature mare and the rescue of two emaciated horses from a property in Washington County.
- Guilford County animal shelter reopens after investigation Updated: Aug-23-15 12:05 pm
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - Animals are being adopted again from the Guilford County Animal Shelter, which closed for almost a week following an investigation into charges of cruelty and mismanagement.
- Kansas City Zoo's geriatric care includes arthritis therapy Updated: Aug-23-15 11:14 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Treating elephant arthritis is among the challenges the Kansas City Zoo is facing as its animals live longer.
- Idaho animal shelter slashes euthanasia rate Updated: Aug-22-15 4:10 pm
RUPERT, Idaho - South-central Idaho officials say they have slashed the number of dogs euthanized at an animal shelter.
- Woman hopes to run cat cafe in Grand Island Updated: Aug-22-15 10:58 am
GRAND ISLAND, Nebraska - If Cara Hunter's vision becomes a reality, Grand Island will join an exclusive club of U.S. cities.
- Spain: New leftist mayors turn back on bullfighting Updated: Aug-22-15 9:19 am
VILLAFRANCA DE LOS CABALLEROS, Spain - Bullfights or schoolbooks? A new breed of local officials in Spain are asking.
- Ellisville to use police to control deer population Updated: Aug-21-15 8:26 am
ELLISVILLE, Missouri - Aldermen in Ellisville have given police authority to use rifles to reduce the growing deer population in the St. Louis County town.
- Police find badly burned dog corpse in Coatesville Updated: Aug-21-15 6:43 am
COATESVILLE, Pennsylvania - Animal welfare officials have launched an investigation after discovering a dog's charred corpse inside a dumpster in a town outside Philadelphia.
- 4 stray dogs burned with chemical agent in LA County Updated: Aug-20-15 10:17 pm
LOS ANGELES - Four stray dogs have been attacked and severely burned with a chemical agent over the past few weeks in Lancaster, with two so badly injured they had to be euthanized, authorities said.
- Nebraska officials: Iowa animals will be up for adoption Updated: Aug-20-15 6:08 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - The Nebraska Humane Society says more than two dozen dogs, 14 chinchillas, two parrots and a horse rescued from a residence in western Iowa will be up for adoption soon.
- Mason City animal shelter adding space for more cats Updated: Aug-20-15 5:37 pm
MASON CITY, Iowa - The Humane Society of North Iowa is making more room for more cats at its Mason City animal shelter.
- Topeka Zoo denies claims that their elephants are lonely Updated: Aug-20-15 11:20 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Topeka Zoo officials are denying claims that the zoo's two elephants are suffering from a lack of social interaction.
- Dozens of animals removed from Clark County farm Updated: Aug-20-15 11:02 am
NEILLSVILLE, Wisconsin - Sheriff's deputies and animal welfare workers have removed dozens of dogs and six horses from a property in Clark County.
- Coalition: Measure aimed at humane treatment of farm animals Updated: Aug-19-15 4:34 pm
BOSTON - Animal advocates launched a campaign Wednesday to put before Massachusetts voters a proposal that would prohibit raising certain farm animals in small cages and crates and would effectively ban the sale of eggs, pork and veal from animals kept in such tight spaces, wherever they are raised.
- Fargo to get advice from Humane Society on beaver problem Updated: Aug-19-15 4:05 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - Park district officials in Fargo will be getting some advice from the Humane Society of the United States about how to handle beavers that are chopping down and killing trees along the Red River.
- Los Angeles County officials order probe of animal shelters Updated: Aug-19-15 6:14 am
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles County supervisors have called for an investigation into conditions at animal control facilities after welfare advocates complained of dogs being kept in filthy enclosures at a county shelter.
- Patagonia stops buying wool from Argentine supplier Updated: Aug-18-15 5:00 pm
VENTURA, California - Outdoor clothing maker Patagonia said it has stopped buying wool from Argentina-based supplier Ovis 21 after video released by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals showed sheep and lambs being mutilated and skinned alive.
- North Carolina revokes license for animal shelters Updated: Aug-18-15 8:28 am
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - North Carolina officials have pulled the license of a company that operates animal shelters in Davidson and Guilford counties.