- Chattanooga animal shelter offers Black Friday alternative Updated: Nov-28-15 11:06 am
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - Chattanooga's McKamey Animal Center offers a different kind of Black Friday special - name-your-price pet adoptions.
- Feds extend comment period on plan to close areas to mining Updated: Nov-27-15 12:08 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The U.S. Bureau of Land Management has extended the public comment period on the agency's plan to withdraw 10 million acres of public lands in six western states from potential mineral extraction to protect habitat for the greater sage grouse.
- Attacking dogs still roaming Pine Ridge Indian Reservation Updated: Nov-27-15 10:46 am
PINE RIDGE, South Dakota - In the year since the death of 8-year-old Jayla Rodriguez on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, little has been accomplished to keep community members safe from the kind of wild dogs that killed her.
- Colorado town passes measures to control cat population Updated: Nov-27-15 9:19 am
GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado - Officials in a Colorado town have passed a measure that encourages residents to vaccinate, spay, neuter and license their cats, although it stops short requiring those steps.
- Trout Unlimited ups reward in illegal fish stocking cases Updated: Nov-26-15 2:21 pm
WHITEFISH, Montana - Montana Trout Unlimited has doubled to $20,000 the reward it is offering for the apprehension and conviction of whoever is responsible for illegally stocking fish in three western Montana lakes and reservoirs.
- Guilford County prosecutor dismiss animal shelter charges Updated: Nov-26-15 12:06 pm
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - A prosecutor has dismissed charges against the former director of the Guilford County Animal Shelter, telling the sheriff he never should have brought the charges in the first place.
- Animal shelter offering 'Black Friday' adoption discounts Updated: Nov-26-15 8:46 am
STRATHAM, New Hampshire - Some animal shelters are using Black Friday as a chance for people to visit and adopt a pet.
- Family sues PETA for $9.7M, says workers euthanized pet Updated: Nov-25-15 3:02 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A family is suing PETA for $9.7 million after they say workers from the organization euthanized their Chihuahua.
- Reward offered for information about dogs sealed in aquarium Updated: Nov-25-15 2:58 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is offering a $5,000 reward to help find those responsible for sealing two dogs inside an aquarium case and abandoning them.
- Scientists call for continuing Great Lakes wolf protections Updated: Nov-24-15 1:23 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Gray wolves in the western Great Lakes region should not yet be removed from the federal endangered species list, a group of scientists and scholars said Tuesday, disagreeing with colleagues who said the population has rebounded sufficiently.
- General Mills sets goal to buy all-cage free eggs by 2025 Updated: Nov-24-15 1:00 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - General Mills has set a deadline for its conversion to all cage-free eggs by 2025.
- Delaware officials sign new animal shelter contract Updated: Nov-24-15 8:21 am
DOVER, Delaware - Delaware animal welfare officials have picked a Pennsylvania-based organization to handle statewide animal shelter services starting in January.
- DNR says deer harvest numbers still trending downward in UP Updated: Nov-23-15 8:09 pm
MARQUETTE, Michigan - State officials say the deer harvest apparently is down again in the Upper Peninsula midway through the firearms season, although many hunters are getting high-quality bucks.
- NY Gaming Commission proposes new race horse drug rules Updated: Nov-23-15 8:02 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York regulators have fined one of horse racing's winningest trainers and say they're pursuing new equine drug regulations after a probe into abuse allegations by an animal-rights group.
- Dozens of animals die in Massachusetts shelter fire Updated: Nov-23-15 7:16 am
PAXTON, Massachusetts - Dozens of cats and dogs have perished in a fire at a central Massachusetts animal shelter.
- 4 dead dogs, 2 injured dogs found at Bibb County home Updated: Nov-23-15 3:31 am
MACON, Georgia - In what Macon-Bibb County Animal Welfare suspects is a result of dog fighting, four dead dogs have been found at a Macon home, possibly killed by cold weather or starvation.
- Deer hunt in Massachusetts recreational area sparks backlash Updated: Nov-22-15 11:00 am
BOSTON - A plan to allow hunting in a nearly 11-square-mile swath of pristine forest within sight of downtown Boston to thin the exploding deer population is coming under fire from activists who insist that contraception and other more humane methods be used.
- Yoga with Cats class proves to be 'the purrfect mix' Updated: Nov-22-15 9:02 am
GALESVILLE, Maryland - A sign on the table reads "Think Pawsitive."
- How the Omaha zoo gets its animals Updated: Nov-21-15 11:02 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - When the zoo wants to buy an animal, like its three recently acquired giraffes, it uses a sort of animal matchmaker.
- After 8 years at shelter, Worcester dog adopted Updated: Nov-21-15 9:01 am
OCEAN CITY, Maryland - Kim Shaneybrook couldn't understand why Butchie was at the Worcester County Humane Society shelter for the last eight years, or why no one gave him a chance.
- Inspections find animal abuse at Indiana wildlife facility Updated: Nov-20-15 4:15 pm
CHARLESTOWN, Indiana - Inspections by the U.S. Department of Agriculture have found abuse of animals and unsafe conditions for visitors at a southern Indiana wildlife facility.
- Woman reunited with dog that vanished 7 years ago in Ohio Updated: Nov-20-15 3:51 pm
HAMILTON, Ohio - A Tennessee resident reunited with her dog that disappeared seven years ago from her old home in Ohio says she can't even describe how happy she was to see her pet.
- Humane Society: Keep pets safe at Thanksgiving Updated: Nov-20-15 5:14 am
ST. LOUIS - Thanksgiving is a time when many overindulge, and the Humane Society of Missouri warns that dogs, cats and other pets can also become sick from what they eat over the holiday.
- Saginaw County changes spay, neuter policy at animal shelter Updated: Nov-19-15 9:56 am
SAGINAW, Michigan - Saginaw County has reversed a policy at its animal shelter that required all dogs and cats to be spayed or neutered before being adopted.
- The Latest: Manila slum near APEC shows poverty challenge Updated: Nov-19-15 4:49 am
MANILA, Philippines - Leaders from 21 countries and self-governing territories are in Manila for the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit. The meeting's official agenda is focused on trade, business and economic issues but terrorism, South China Sea disputes and climate change are also in focus. (All times are local.)