- US grant will restore passenger rail to western Vermont Updated: May-06-16 2:42 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Amtrak passenger trains could be rolling into Vermont's largest city in about four year after the final upgrade is completed on a 75-mile stretch of track between Rutland and Burlington.
- DC's subway to endure year of shutdowns and slowdowns Updated: May-06-16 1:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Washington's beleaguered subway system will endure a year of rolling shutdowns and slowdowns in an effort to catch up on maintenance and improve safety and reliability.
- The Latest: Obama: DC subway problems should be fixed Updated: May-06-16 1:07 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on Washington's beleaguered subway system (all times local):
- Dubuque transit board proposes fee to deter boisterous teens Updated: May-05-16 4:03 pm
DUBUQUE, Iowa - The public transit board in Dubuque has recommended imposing a new bus fare to deter boisterous students from riding for entertainment.
- Charleston officials planning new cab mode of public transit Updated: May-05-16 1:34 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Officials are planning to unveil a new mode of public transportation in downtown Charleston.
- Mercury a black speck as it makes rare transit of sun Monday Updated: May-05-16 12:29 pm
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida - Earthlings are in for a treat Monday as Mercury makes a relatively rare transit of the sun.
- Man atop train in San Jose fouling up morning commute Updated: May-05-16 10:18 am
SAN JOSE, California - Authorities say service on a light rail system south of San Francisco is severely delayed Thursday morning due to an overnight standoff with a man who climbed on top of a train and has refused to come down.
- Passenger killed in crash of small Pennsylvania transit but Updated: May-05-16 8:02 am
LEHIGHTON, Pennsylvania - A passenger has been killed in a crash involving a small transit bus in rural eastern Pennsylvania.
- Illinois State planetarium hosting transit of Mercury event Updated: May-04-16 10:51 pm
NORMAL, Illinois - The Illinois State University Planetarium is inviting the public to a weekend program to learn about a rare passage of Mercury across the face of the sun that will take place Monday.
- Voters in Kalamazoo County approve renewal of transit tax Updated: May-04-16 5:24 am
KALAMAZOO, Michigan - Voters in Kalamazoo County have approved a five-year renewal of a millage that will fund public transit through 2021.
- Feds: Poor maintenance led to fatal DC subway fire Updated: May-03-16 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - A fire that caused a Washington subway train to fill with smoke inside a downtown tunnel last year, killing one passenger and sickening dozens, can be traced to poor maintenance and ineffective inspection practices by the city's beleaguered transit authority, federal investigators said Tuesday.
- The Latest: Feds fault DC subway for inadequate maintenance Updated: May-03-16 3:03 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the National Transportation Safety Board's findings about a fatal 2015 accident on the Washington subway (all times local):
- Recent Kansas Editorials Updated: May-03-16 10:20 am
The Manhattan Mercury, May 2
- Delaware bill encourages transit-friendly communities Updated: May-03-16 6:37 am
DOVER, Delaware - The state House is set to vote on a bill aimed at encouraging local governments in Delaware to create more transit-friendly communities.
- Columbus adds public shuttle between airport, downtown Updated: May-03-16 12:25 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Travelers flying in and out of Columbus now can take a public shuttle service between the airport and downtown.
- 2nd union rejects tentative agreement with NJ Transit Updated: May-01-16 2:56 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - Members of a second rail union have rejected a tentative agreement with NJ Transit.
- Refugee baby Serbia Merkel in transit across Europe Updated: Apr-28-16 1:04 pm
KRNJACA, Serbia - She has wide brown eyes, rosy cheeks and thick black hair. Her name is Serbia Merkel al-Mustafa.
- Hudson-Bergen Light Rail resumes weekday service Updated: Apr-28-16 8:39 am
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey - Commuters who ride the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail are back on track.
- No. 5 subway line service in the Bronx has resumed Updated: Apr-27-16 6:11 am
NEW YORK - Transit officials say the No. 5 subway line has resumed service in the Bronx.
- Judge clears transit workers of most serious charges Updated: Apr-22-16 3:45 am
PITTSBURGH - Two transit workers accused of racing their buses have been acquitted of the most serious charges against them in a 2014 crash.
- As deficit looms, new NJ Transit director backs out of job Updated: Apr-21-16 12:36 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - The man picked to lead New Jersey Transit decided he does not want the job, just days before he was scheduled to start running the nation's third-busiest commuter railroad amid a looming budget deficit.
- The Latest: Christie disappointed transit pick backed out Updated: Apr-21-16 12:34 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - The Latest on New Jersey Transit's new director deciding he doesn't want the job. (all times local):
- MTA plan restores funding for Second Avenue subway extension Updated: Apr-21-16 6:37 am
NEW YORK - The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has approved a capital plan that restores funding for the next phase of the Second Avenue subway line.
- Panama inks $2.6B financing deal with Japan for metro line Updated: Apr-20-16 7:32 pm
PANAMA CITY - Panama has signed a deal with Japan to secure $2.6 billion in financing for the construction of a third metro line in the Central American nation's capital.
- Vegas bus driver claims self-defense in shooting passenger Updated: Apr-19-16 5:01 pm
LAS VEGAS - A transit bus driver in Las Vegas claimed self-defense after he shot and wounded a passenger with whom he was arguing, according to a police report made public Tuesday.