- The Latest: FBI chief says encryption blocks investigations Updated: Feb-09-16 5:52 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the worldwide threat assessment from U.S. intelligence agencies (all times local):
- Senegal fears extremism amid imam arrests, regional attacks Updated: Feb-08-16 9:59 am
KAOLACK, Senegal - Dozens of armed security forces descended on the Quranic school at night, arresting an imam suspected of having links to Islamic extremists in Nigeria.
- Firebrand monks a powerful force in Myanmar despite setback Updated: Feb-06-16 12:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Dark-skinned and bearded men jump a young woman after she prays at a Buddhist shrine. They push her to the ground and rape her. Then they cut off her ear and slit her throat.
- Judge: Ex-Salvadoran colonel can face charges in Spain Updated: Feb-05-16 3:44 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A judge cleared the way Friday for a former Salvadoran colonel to face charges in Spain that he helped plan the 1989 slayings of six Jesuit priests during El Salvador's civil war - a notorious crime that prompted international outrage.
- Historic step: Pope, Russia patriarch meet in Cuba Feb. 12 Updated: Feb-05-16 1:44 pm
VATICAN CITY - In an historic step to heal the 1,000-year schism that split Christianity, Pope Francis and the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church will meet in Cuba next week in an attempt to begin bridging the church's East-West divide.
- Man admits killing Dutch ex-minister over euthanasia law Updated: Feb-04-16 1:10 pm
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A man accused of killing a former Dutch health minister admitted the slaying at a court hearing Thursday, claiming it was an "order from God" because she was responsible for the Netherlands' euthanasia law.
- Indiana culture war over gay rights worries business leaders Updated: Feb-03-16 7:27 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Downtown Indianapolis was once so desolate that men armed with shotguns hunted pigeons on Sundays among empty buildings and a trash-strewn river canal.
- Obama visits US mosque, says impression of Muslims distorted Updated: Feb-03-16 3:25 pm
CATONSVILLE, Maryland - President Barack Obama sought Wednesday to correct what he called a "hugely distorted impression" of Muslim-Americans as he made his first visit to a U.S. mosque. He said those who demonize all Muslims for the acts of a few are playing into extremists' hands.
- Obama honors 4 who protected Jews during Holocaust Updated: Jan-27-16 11:10 pm
WASHINGTON - As he honored four people on Wednesday for risking their lives to protect Jews, President Barack Obama warned that anti-Semitism is on the rise and that an attack on any faith is an attack on all faiths.
- Cops: 2 New York teens charged with attacking Muslim man Updated: Jan-22-16 6:04 pm
NEW YORK - Police in New York City have brought hate crime charges against two teenage boys they say attacked a Muslim man walking his niece home from school.
- Kenyans honor Muslim man who shielded Christians in attack Updated: Jan-22-16 5:03 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyans are donating to the family of a Muslim man who was fatally wounded by Islamic extremists while shielding Christians during an attack on a bus.
- Pakistan university latest target of militant attacks Updated: Jan-20-16 2:48 pm
ISLAMABAD - The attack on the Bacha Khan University in northwestern Pakistan on Wednesday, which killed 20 people and was claimed by a breakaway Taliban faction, is the latest in a series of attacks spanning more than a decade.
- Synagogue visit: Pope denounces violence done in God's name Updated: Jan-17-16 1:24 pm
ROME - Pope Francis denounced all religiously inspired violence during a visit to Rome's main synagogue Sunday, joining the oldest Jewish community in the diaspora in a sign of interfaith friendship at a time of Islamic extremist attacks around the globe.
- 3rd civilian dies of wounds in Jakarta bombings Updated: Jan-16-16 10:26 pm
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesian police said they have arrested 12 people suspected of links to the Jakarta bombings, as the death toll in the brazen attacks by Muslim militants rose to eight after a third civilian succumbed to wounds.
- Sikh bus driver says police didn't recognize hate crime Updated: Jan-14-16 9:45 pm
LOS ANGELES - A California bus driver wearing a turban was called a suicide bomber during an attack that left him hospitalized, but officers failed to recognize the assault as a hate crime, a Sikh advocacy group representing the man said Thursday.
- 3rd man charged with murder in slaying of pastor's wife Updated: Jan-14-16 9:05 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Prosecutors have charged a third man with murder in connection with the slaying of an Indianapolis pastor's pregnant wife inside the couple's house.
- Probation ordered for gun buyer in Jewish site killings Updated: Jan-14-16 4:02 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A southern Missouri man has been sentenced to five years of probation for purchasing one of the shotguns that a white supremacist used in a deadly attack at two Jewish sites in suburban Kansas City.
- Teen charged in France over Jewish teacher attack Updated: Jan-13-16 4:18 pm
PARIS - A French judge has handed preliminary charges of "attempted assassination linked to a terrorist organization" to a machete-wielding teen who attacked a Jewish teacher.