- Ovechkin misses morning skate; game-time decision vs Sharks Updated: Oct-13-15 12:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Capitals coach Barry Trotz says captain Alex Ovechkin will be a game-time decision against the San Jose Sharks.
- Sabres assign rookie defenseman Guhle to Prince Albert Updated: Oct-13-15 12:06 pm
BUFFALO, New York - The Buffalo Sabres are returning rookie defenseman Brendan Guhle to his Canadian Junior Hockey League team in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
- North Korea, Thailand extend group leads in Asian qualifying Updated: Oct-13-15 11:45 am
TOKYO - North Korea and Thailand had wins Tuesday to extend their group leads in the second round of Asian qualifying for the World Cup.
- Ireland captain O'Connell out of World Cup, test career over Updated: Oct-13-15 11:27 am
Ireland fears were confirmed at the Rugby World Cup on Tuesday when captain Paul O'Connell was ruled out of the tournament because of a hamstring injury, ending the international career of one of the country's greatest players.
- Swiss coach Marcel Koller guides Austria to Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-13-15 11:15 am
VIENNA - For all the sporting rivalry between the neighboring countries, it took a coach from Switzerland to help Austria qualify for a European Championship for the first time.
- Pittsburgh investigating officer's takedown slam of Cubs fan Updated: Oct-13-15 10:33 am
- Federer loses opening match at Shanghai Masters Updated: Oct-13-15 10:31 am
SHANGHAI - For the second straight year, Roger Federer found himself in trouble in his opening match at the Shanghai Masters.
- Fan critically injured in fight outside Dodger Stadium Updated: Oct-13-15 10:30 am
LOS ANGELES - A fan was critically injured in a fight outside Dodger Stadium following Friday night's playoff game and detectives were searching for suspects, Los Angeles police said.
- Lyon midfielder Kalulu out for 2 months Updated: Oct-13-15 10:27 am
LYON, France - Lyon has added midfielder Aldo Kalulu to its list of injured players.
- Mas: Getting in the All Blacks' minds holds key to RWC win Updated: Oct-13-15 10:12 am
Getting inside the minds of the All Blacks, just like four years ago, will be the key for France in the Rugby World Cup quarterfinal on Saturday.
- Philippe Blatter-led Infront confirms Italian TV inquiry Updated: Oct-13-15 9:48 am
ROME - A sports marketing agency run by the nephew of suspended FIFA President Sepp Blatter confirmed Tuesday that the head of its Italian branch and two associates are under investigation for "alleged manipulation" over the sale of lucrative Serie A TV rights.
- Carter has moved on since 2007, desperate to reach RWC final Updated: Oct-13-15 9:21 am
Dan Carter has moved on from that day in 2007 that will long remain one of the most painful in his illustrious career.
- VW fallout: Wolfsburg postpones planned training center Updated: Oct-13-15 9:04 am
WOLFSBURG, Germany - Volkswagen-backed Bundesliga club Wolfsburg has postponed the construction of a youth training center because of the German car manufacturer's emissions-rigging scandal.
- UEFA charges Moldova over fans' racist flags at Russia game Updated: Oct-13-15 8:50 am
NYON, Switzerland - UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the Moldova soccer association over crowd issues, including racism, during a European Championship qualifier against Russia.
- Paderborn appoints former Germany player Effenberg as coach Updated: Oct-13-15 8:30 am
PADERBORN, Germany - Former Germany midfielder Stefan Effenberg is taking over as coach of second-division club Paderborn.
- Ronaldo receives Golden Boot award for Europe's top scorer Updated: Oct-13-15 7:51 am
MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo received his record fourth Golden Boot award on Tuesday after leading all scorers in Europe's domestic leagues last season.
- Granderson, Mets beat Dodgers 13-7 to take 2-1 lead in NLDS Updated: Oct-13-15 7:43 am
- Feeling in Spain is for De Gea to replace Casillas in goal Updated: Oct-13-15 7:34 am
BARCELONA, Spain - Ever since that unexpected loss at the start of last year's World Cup, there has been a growing feeling in Spain that it's time for David de Gea to take over as national team goalkeeper.
- North Dakota men's hockey team atop both national polls Updated: Oct-13-15 7:13 am
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - The University of North Dakota men's hockey team is atop both national polls after winning the Ice Breaker Tournament championship over the weekend in Maine.
- Djibril Cisse arrested in blackmail case Updated: Oct-13-15 5:26 am
PARIS - Former France striker Djibril Cisse has been arrested as part of an investigation into a blackmail case that allegedly involves another football player.
- Public can see Stanley Cup in Millennium Park on Wednesday Updated: Oct-13-15 5:00 am
CHICAGO - The Stanley Cup will be making an appearance at Chicago's Millennium Park.
- Lleyton Hewitt to be honored at 2016 Australian Open Updated: Oct-13-15 3:37 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Former world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt has a wild card into January's Australian Open to mark a record 20th-straight appearance in his national tennis Grand Slam, which is also likely to be his last.
- California to big-league ballplayers: Stop chewing tobacco Updated: Oct-13-15 3:29 am
LOS ANGELES - California lawmakers have taken the first step toward accomplishing something Major League Baseball could never do: Stop players from stuffing those big wads of chewing tobacco into their mouths during games.
- Cardinals manager Matheny trying MLB-approved iPad in dugout Updated: Oct-13-15 2:59 am
CHICAGO - When St. Louis manager Mike Matheny has to make a pivotal decision in the playoffs, he can pull a scouting report from his pocket. He can ask a coach to look at notes the Cardinals brought to the bench.
- Huskies' season-opening trip to China includes class work Updated: Oct-13-15 2:59 am
SEATTLE - An argument is brewing in the Washington team room. It started with bickering, and voices are now rising, college basketball players going back and forth.