- Afghans skirt strict rules to find love on social media Updated: Feb-14-16 2:32 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghan civil activist Hadi Sadiqi had long been using social media to share news, commentary and his own musings on politics when he got into a heated exchange with another member of his Facebook forum.
- Texas research: Speed dating, video more often lead to love Updated: Feb-13-16 6:16 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Speed dating or video interaction is much more effective than photos in an online profile when someone's looking for love, some experts have concluded.
- Tech-shy Beacon Hill playing catch-up in new digital world Updated: Feb-13-16 9:44 am
BOSTON - Scan the horizon for tech-savvy locales and chances are you'll skip right over the 218-year-old Massachusetts Statehouse - more museum than incubator.
- Senate defeats bill on student digital privacy rights Updated: Feb-12-16 6:23 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The state Senate rejected a bill that would have prohibited teachers and school officials from prying into students' private personal social media accounts after opponents voiced concern it would jeopardize school safety.
- Louisiana governor's speech stokes fears, threatens football Updated: Feb-12-16 6:21 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. John Bel Edwards' talk of shuttered hospitals, college closures and a canceled football season for the LSU Tigers drew attention Friday to Louisiana's deep budget woes, mixed with criticism that the Democratic governor was fear-mongering.
- Facebook nude-painting case can face trial in France Updated: Feb-12-16 4:54 pm
PARIS - If you post a 19th-century nude painting on Facebook, is it art or impermissible nudity? That question is now cleared for trial in France, after an appeals court there ruled that an aggrieved user can sue the social network over the issue.
- Shkreli campaign for boss music collection rolls on Updated: Feb-12-16 12:21 pm
NEW YORK - Former pharmaceutical chief Martin Shkreli's campaign to build up an impressive music portfolio rolls on.
- Kanye's lyrics about Taylor Swift ignite new controversy Updated: Feb-12-16 11:39 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Kanye West's new album, "The Life Of Pablo," has ignited a new controversy between the rapper and pop superstar Taylor Swift.
- Cop placed on leave after comment about activist's suicide Updated: Feb-12-16 8:03 am
FAIRBORN, Ohio - Officials say an Ohio police officer is being put on paid leave over a Facebook comment about a Black Lives Matter activist who killed himself on the Statehouse steps.
- Indonesia warns messaging apps to drop same-sex emoticons Updated: Feb-12-16 12:14 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Human Rights Watch on Friday urged Indonesian President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo to protect gay and lesbian rights, a day after his government told instant messaging apps to remove stickers featuring same-sex couples in the latest high-profile attempt to discourage visible homosexuality in the socially conservative country.
- Aunt of teen accused in slaying charged with supplying gun Updated: Feb-11-16 6:48 pm
CHICAGO - Two years after a Facebook feud over a boy ended with one 14-year-old girl dead and another 14-year-old girl charged with murder, the aunt of the accused Chicago teen was arrested on federal charges that she supplied the gun.
- Cruz app data collection helps campaign read minds of voters Updated: Feb-11-16 3:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Protecting the privacy of law-abiding citizens from the government is a pillar of Ted Cruz's Republican presidential candidacy, but his campaign is testing the limits of siphoning personal data from supporters.
- Deputies: Snapchat posting of money leads to robbery Updated: Feb-11-16 9:54 am
BOCA RATON, Florida - Authorities say a photo of money posted on the Snapchat social media app led to a home invasion and robbery in Boca Raton.
- Deputies: Snapchat posting leads to knife-point robbery Updated: Feb-11-16 9:32 am
BOCA RATON, Florida - Authorities say a photo on the Snapchat social media app led to a home invasion and robbery in Boca Raton.
- FDLE investigates possible hack into county website Updated: Feb-11-16 3:01 am
FORT MYERS, Florida - State investigators are looking at a man who explained in an online video how he breached a Lee Supervisor of Elections computer server without permission.
- Cudlitz's 'Walking Dead' 'stache has its own Twitter account Updated: Feb-10-16 8:02 pm
NEW YORK - On "The Walking Dead," Michael Cudlitz's character, Abraham Ford, is known for his bright red hair and distinctive Fu Manchu-like mustache.
- Disappearing act: Twitter reports flatlining user growth Updated: Feb-10-16 7:24 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Twitter set out to build a virtual town square bustling with billions of people. But it's starting to look more like a novelty stand as the masses flock to other services that strike a more personal chord.
- Brother: Right-to-die advocate Christy O'Donnell dies Updated: Feb-10-16 6:53 pm
SAN DIEGO - Christy O'Donnell, a single mother with lung cancer who became a prominent figure in the California right-to-die debate, has died. She was 47.
- The Latest: Planned Parenthood targets Kasich in online ads Updated: Feb-10-16 5:59 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on an Ohio proposal that seeks to strip government funding away from Planned Parenthood (all times local):
- Twitter tweaks its timeline in pursuit of more users Updated: Feb-10-16 5:28 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Twitter is tweaking the way that tweets appear in its users' timelines in its latest attempt to broaden the appeal of its messaging service.
- Banham got Kobe's attention with 60-point game for Minnesota Updated: Feb-10-16 4:30 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Rachel Banham was two days removed from her 60-point performance for Minnesota when the real highlight happened.
- Sikh man barred from Mexico flight sees 'small victory' Updated: Feb-10-16 3:17 pm
MEXICO CITY - An Indian-American actor and designer who was turned away from an airline flight after refusing to remove his Sikh turban during a security check said he's "thrilled" that Aeromexico is vowing to overhaul its screening protocols.
- 6 tips to keep your Facebook clean, secure and private Updated: Feb-10-16 10:37 am
NEW YORK - Got hundreds of Facebook friends you hardly know?
- The Latest: Witness hopes judge has enough info for decision Updated: Feb-10-16 9:49 am
BALTIMORE - The Latest on Adnan Syed's retrial request in a murder case explored by the popular "Serial" podcast (all times local):
- Judge deliberates on new trial for "Serial" defendant Updated: Feb-10-16 9:23 am
BALTIMORE - A retired Baltimore judge who will determine whether a man convicted of a killing at the center of popular podcast "Serial" deserves a new trial said the five-day post-conviction hearing that concluded Tuesday garnered more attention than any other proceeding he'd seen in the state.