- Feds: Missouri woman involved in counterfeit phone scheme Updated: May-27-16 7:40 am
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A Missouri woman has pleaded guilty to federal charges stemming from the sale of more than $80 million worth of counterfeit cellphone components.
- Tax fraud police search McDonald's French headquarters Updated: May-26-16 4:27 pm
PARIS - French police have searched McDonald's headquarters outside Paris after a probe was opened for alleged aggravated tax fraud and money-laundering against the local branch of the fast-food company.
- 'Affluenza' mom indicted on charges she helped son flee Updated: May-26-16 3:28 pm
FORT WORTH, Texas - The mother of a Texas teenager who used an "affluenza" defense in a fatal drunken-driving wreck has been indicted on charges accusing her of helping her son flee to Mexico.
- 46 arrested, $2M seized in multistate gambling operation Updated: May-25-16 5:23 pm
HACKENSACK, New Jersey - Authorities say they have seized $2 million in cash and arrested 46 people in New Jersey, New York and Florida on sports gambling and other charges.
- Florida editorial roundup Updated: May-25-16 2:04 pm
Recent editorials from Florida newspapers:
- Feds say ex-policeman ran $2,000-an-hour prostitution ring Updated: May-24-16 9:49 pm
NEW YORK - A former police officer who retired on a disability pension ran a prostitution ring that charged customers as much as $2,000 an hour, federal prosecutors said Tuesday.
- The Latest: Lawyer says ex-policeman ran legitimate business Updated: May-24-16 9:44 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on a former New York City police officer accused of running a prostitution ring (all times local):
- French raid Google in latest probe into tech's tax tactics Updated: May-24-16 3:41 pm
PARIS - Police raided Google's French headquarters Tuesday looking for evidence of "aggravated tax fraud," marking one of Europe's most conspicuous attempts yet to cast a U.S. technology leader as a manipulative scofflaw.
- Former municipal prosecutor sentenced for trust fund fraud Updated: May-24-16 12:51 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A former Anchorage municipal prosecutor has been sentenced to more than 13 years in prison for a $52 million wire fraud and money laundering scheme.
- Swiss bank to be shut over Malaysia embezzlement scandal Updated: May-24-16 10:59 am
GENEVA - A Swiss private bank accused of turning a blind eye to shady money transfers and willful defiance of regulators will face criminal proceedings and be liquidated for its alleged role in the suspected embezzlement of $4 billion from a Malaysian state fund.
- Defendant pleads guilty in stock, money-laundering scheme Updated: May-24-16 7:37 am
NEW YORK - Federal prosecutors in New York say a Belize resident has pleaded guilty to money laundering conspiracy for helping clients profit off illegal stock trades and then laundering more than $250 million.
- Ex-Deschutes County sheriff's captain pleads guilty to theft Updated: May-24-16 3:14 am
BEND, Oregon - A former Deschutes County sheriff's captain accused of stealing more than $200,000 from the county and using the funds to buy gifts for an ex-colleague with whom he had a romantic relationship has pleaded guilty in the case.
- Casino industry discusses anti-money laundering efforts Updated: May-21-16 3:39 pm
LAS VEGAS - Casino industry players gathered in Las Vegas to consider ways to keep the businesses from being used to launder money.
- Retired chiropractor pleads guilty to taking kickbacks Updated: May-21-16 2:37 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - State authorities say a retired chiropractor has admitted taking more than $250,000 in illegal kickbacks from doctors and others in return for referring patients to their practices, clinics and medical imaging centers.
- Fujimori hit by money laundering probe before Peru election Updated: May-21-16 12:02 am
LIMA, Peru - Peru's tight presidential race took a surprise turn Friday when prosecutors confirmed they've opened a preliminary investigation against front-runner Keiko Fujimori and her American husband for money laundering.
- Leader of Phoenix Goddess Temple gets 4 ½ years in prison Updated: May-19-16 3:39 pm
PHOENIX - The leader of the Phoenix Goddess Temple that offered spiritual and touch-based healing services in exchange for donations has been sentenced to 4 ½ years in prison.
- Spanish court revokes warrant for senior Russian official Updated: May-19-16 11:12 am
MADRID - Spain's national court has revoked an arrest warrant for a senior Russian official who was sought for questioning in a money-laundering and criminal association investigation.
- Joplin man pleads guilty to $5.6M cooking oil scheme Updated: May-19-16 8:31 am
JOPLIN, Missouri - A Missouri man has pleaded guilty in a scheme to sell more than $5.8 million of used cooking oil that was stolen from restaurants across five states.
- Raymond James fined $17M for anti-money laundering lapses Updated: May-18-16 2:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Industry regulators have fined Raymond James $17 million, accusing the financial services firm of widespread failures in its controls against money laundering.
- Fortune-teller admits to stealing money to lift 'curses' Updated: May-18-16 11:25 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - A fortune-teller in Virginia has pleaded guilty to committing mail fraud and stealing more than $1 million from her former clients in exchange for "lifting their curse."
- 3 sentenced for marijuana distribution, money laundering Updated: May-17-16 12:43 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Three Minnesota residents accused of bringing marijuana from California to the Sioux Falls area and elsewhere have been sentenced in federal court in South Dakota.
- Indictment: Disbarred lawyer stole more than $1.5 million Updated: May-17-16 11:27 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - State authorities say a former lawyer accused of stealing more than $1.5 million from five clients has been indicted on money laundering charges.
- Peru presidential candidate denies money laundering Updated: May-16-16 8:23 pm
LIMA, Peru - Presidential candidate Keiko Fujimori denied a news report that raised questions about whether she was involved in money laundering.
- Chicago restaurant owner admits wire fraud, money laundering Updated: May-16-16 3:59 pm
CHICAGO - The chef-owner of several Chicago-area Chinese restaurants has pleaded guilty to allegations that he underpaid state taxes by not reporting all cash receipts.
- Feds say man failed to protect against money laundering Updated: May-16-16 1:53 pm
ATLANTA - Federal prosecutors in Atlanta say a man who operated a money transmitting business that processed hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of financial transactions failed to implement adequate safeguards against money laundering.