- Ex-state senator facing up to 20 years on racketeering Updated: Jul-02-15 3:34 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A former California state senator - once considered a leading candidate for a statewide office - is facing up to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to a racketeering charge in an organized crime case centered in San Francisco's Chinatown.
- Ex-Mexican cartel leader gets 30 years prison in US Updated: Jun-30-15 4:01 pm
BEAUMONT, Texas - A former leader of Mexico's notorious Gulf drug cartel has been sentenced to 30 years in a U.S. prison and fined $100 million.
- Utah businessman accused of fraud rejects plea deal Updated: Jun-30-15 3:58 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Businessman Jeremy Johnson, a key witness in the criminal cases against two former Utah attorneys general, rejected a plea deal Tuesday that federal prosecutors offered in a wide-ranging fraud case.
- Foreign suspect indicted in UPMC identity theft tax case Updated: Jun-26-15 1:22 pm
PITTSBURGH - A federal grand jury has indicted a foreign citizen in a conspiracy to file more than 900 phony federal tax returns seeking $2.2 million in refunds by using employee information stolen from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
- Macau casino junket figure faces HK money laundering charges Updated: Jun-26-15 6:10 am
HONG KONG - Hong Kong police charged a prominent figure in Macau's casino junket industry with laundering 1.8 billion Hong Kong dollars ($231 million) through bank accounts in the southern Chinese city.
- Romanian premier's aide indicted for corruption charges Updated: Jun-24-15 9:46 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - An aide to Romania's prime minister was indicted on corruption charges, including being an accomplice to embezzling European Union funds and illegally offering incentives to voters in two elections, anti-corruption prosecutors said Wednesday.
- Bank of China says it will cooperate with Italians in probe Updated: Jun-23-15 4:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The Bank of China will cooperate with Italian prosecutors seeking to indict the bank and dozens of Chinese migrants following a massive money-laundering probe reported by The Associated Press earlier this month.
- Swiss drop part of case over Mubarak's still-frozen funds Updated: Jun-22-15 1:23 pm
CAIRO - Switzerland is dropping part of a prosecution case against Egypt's longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak, his close aids and family members, involving hundreds of millions of Swiss francs frozen in Swiss banks.
- Italian prosecutors seek to indict Bank of China, 297 people Updated: Jun-20-15 11:13 pm
ROME - Italian prosecutors are seeking to indict 297 people and the Bank of China in connection with a massive money-laundering investigation reported by The Associated Press earlier this month.
- Ex-Mexican governor accused in Texas money laundering case Updated: Jun-19-15 5:35 pm
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - A former governor of the northern Mexican state of Tamaulipas has been charged with money laundering in Texas, according to an unsealed federal indictment.
- Authorities arrest woman they say helped run lottery scam Updated: Jun-18-15 7:07 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - Federal authorities have arrested a woman they say helped the man convicted last month in North Dakota of running a Jamaica-based scam that bilked mostly elderly people around the country out of millions.
- Judge frees Kansas couple accused of laundering cartel money Updated: Jun-17-15 6:19 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A federal judge has freed pending trial a couple accused of laundering millions of dollars for a Mexican cartel drug at a small Kansas bank.
- Judge may release of couple in money laundering case Updated: Jun-12-15 4:53 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A couple accused of laundering millions of dollars for a Mexican drug cartel through a small Kansas bank may soon be free as they await trial.
- Gulfport man set to plead guilty in drug conspiracy Updated: Jun-09-15 8:05 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - A Gulfport man intends to plead guilty to his role in a conspiracy to distribute the prescription anti-anxiety drug Xanax and a non-narcotic anabolic steroid.
- Former Pittsburg State official sentenced for fraud Updated: Jun-08-15 5:36 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A former official at Pittsburg State University faces a year and a half in federal prison after pleading guilty to wire fraud and money laundering.
- $4.6M seized from indicted Kenner store owners Updated: Jun-08-15 8:39 am
KENNER, Louisiana - Kenner business owners Susantha Wijetunge and Manula Wijetunge have been indicted on federal charges of conspiracy to commit money laundering, tax fraud and other counts.
- Money laundering investigation stymied by China, Italy says Updated: Jun-07-15 6:22 am
FLORENCE, Italy - As Italy's economy was heading off a cliff, police couldn't help but notice that the country's Chinese communities were booming. Luxury cars rolled past Chinese betting parlors and garment factories. Chinese immigrants were buying up Italian coffee bars and real estate. Their prosperity, however, was not reflected in local tax records.
- Contractor sentenced in case that ensnared ex-SC Rep. Viers Updated: Jun-06-15 10:11 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Pawleys Island contractor has been sentenced to a year and a day in prison for his role in a money laundering case that included a former South Carolina House member.