- Audit: Manager at NC mental health agency took kickbacks Updated: Jun-02-15 2:32 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A high-ranking manager at a regional mental health agency in eastern North Carolina took more than a half million dollars in illegal kickbacks and used taxpayer money for personal expenses, including repairs to his fishing boat, a state audit issued Tuesday says.
- Utah woman leaves DEQ to join energy industry law firm Updated: Jun-02-15 11:51 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah's former top environmental regulator has taken a job as an attorney for the energy industry barely a week after stepping down.
- In developing US athletes, 1 size doesn't fit all Updated: Jun-02-15 8:10 am
Jack Sock's run at the French Open was notable not only as the first time the 22-year-old reached a Grand Slam round of 16 in singles.
- Auditor: State agencies fail reporting on tax incentives Updated: Jun-01-15 5:52 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State agencies that administer tax incentive programs are failing to adequately report the return on investment for those programs, according to the legislative auditor's office.
- Louisiana school voucher program before US appeals court Updated: Jun-01-15 5:38 pm
NEW ORLEANS - An appeals court judge had some strong questions Monday for a federal lawyer about reports that Louisiana must present about its school voucher program to the U.S. government.
- Error delays payroll deposits for GA social services workers Updated: Jun-01-15 4:00 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia social service officials say employees should be getting their checks deposited soon after a glitch delayed processing.
- Contrast in vacation home market along lakes Michigan, Huron Updated: May-31-15 5:01 pm
ALPENA, Michigan - The market for waterfront vacation homes along lower Michigan's Great Lakes is a tale of two shorelines.
- Beau Biden dies at 46; son of VP had life of adversity Updated: May-31-15 4:05 pm
DOVER, Delaware - He was the privileged son of a longtime U.S. senator and two-term vice president, yet Joseph R. "Beau" Biden III was no stranger to personal adversity.
- NY comptroller says nonprofit contracts often approved late Updated: May-31-15 10:49 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's comptroller says state agencies were generally late in approving contracts with nonprofit service providers last year, resulting in interest payments that cost the state nearly $200,000 last year.
- Google offers unlimited free storage of photos, videos Updated: May-28-15 7:20 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google is willing to store and organize all of the world's digital photos and videos for free.
- Madoff accountant sentenced to home detention Updated: May-28-15 4:14 pm
NEW YORK - A former accountant who certified fake financial records hiding Bernard Madoff's epic Ponzi scheme was sentenced on Thursday to one year of home confinement, becoming the latest defendant to avoid prison by cooperating in the case.
- 15 Chinese nationals accused in US of student visa scheme Updated: May-28-15 4:05 pm
PITTSBURGH - Fifteen Chinese citizens conspired to take college entrance exams on behalf of others or paid to have that done for them so they could obtain student visas, federal prosecutors said Thursday.
- Lemonade Day is opportunity for kids to learn about business Updated: May-27-15 8:39 am
TERRE HAUTE, Indiana - Lemonade Day is still more than a month away, but Khloe Barnhill already knows how her stand will be decorated.
- Former Biloxi mayor to coordinate city's legal services Updated: May-27-15 8:17 am
BILOXI, Mississippi - The Biloxi City Council has approved the hiring of former Mayor Gerald Blessey.
- Group of Florida lawyers taking trip to Cuba Updated: May-27-15 3:06 am
MIAMI - A contingent of Florida lawyers is heading to Cuba to learn about the communist island's legal and regulatory systems, as well as its economy and politics.
- Prosecutors say Troy Kelley paid stolen money to law firm Updated: May-26-15 11:23 pm
SEATTLE - Federal prosecutors say indicted Washington state Auditor Troy Kelley paid more than $900,000 in stolen money to the high-priced law firm representing him, and they want a judge to look into whether that creates a conflict of interest for his attorney.
- More clinics offering legal advice to patients in Minnesota Updated: May-26-15 1:44 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Medical and legal partnerships serving low-income people are becoming more commonplace in Minnesota, as some health care clinics are adding on-site attorneys to their teams of doctors and nurses to provide free legal advice.
- Authorities: Business targeted people facing foreclosure Updated: May-26-15 6:28 am
LANSING, Michigan - Authorities say a lawyer and his business stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from more than 100 people in Michigan that were facing mortgage foreclosures.
- Kansas state hospitals face staffing shortages Updated: May-25-15 12:14 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - State hospitals in Kansas face persistent staffing shortages, and one facility recently posted a 40 percent staff vacancy rate, according to the agency that oversees the facilities.
- Wealthy new owners fuel Kahala Avenue revival Updated: May-24-15 4:16 pm
HONOLULU - An eccentric Japanese billionaire riled residents of a prestigious seaside street in Honolulu when he bought $180 million of property and then left houses and landscaping to deteriorate.
- EXCHANGE: Program for injured veterans promotes fitness Updated: May-24-15 1:26 pm
PLAINFIELD, Illinois - Keith Aguina, a veteran who is a quadriplegic, often encountered poor attitudes and physical barriers at the gym.
- New York lawmakers may aim for status quo in housing debates Updated: May-23-15 1:37 pm
ALBANY, New York - With Albany still reeling from corruption scandals and time running out on the legislative session, it's looking less likely state lawmakers will overhaul New York City's longstanding rent regulations or a tax break for real estate developers.
- NW Indiana accountant accused of fraud faced 34 counts Updated: May-21-15 5:59 pm
HAMMOND, Indiana - A federal grand jury has indicted the owner of a northwest Indiana accounting firm on 34 counts, a prosecutor said Thursday.
- Libertarian's elections complaint against Kasich dismissed Updated: May-21-15 2:23 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The state's Elections Commission dismissed a complaint Thursday alleging that Republican Gov. John Kasich's re-election campaign played a role in getting a Libertarian candidate bumped from last year's gubernatorial ballot.
- US home sales slide in April amid listing shortage Updated: May-21-15 1:06 pm
WASHINGTON - Sales of existing U.S. homes slipped in April due mainly to relatively few listings and rising prices, providing evidence of the housing sector's uneven recovery.