- Vatican defends reports of synod after pope's words disputed Updated: Oct-08-15 4:21 pm
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican press office defended its reporting of a big meeting on family issues Thursday after a dispute arose over what Pope Francis told bishops behind closed doors about his hopes for a free and open debate.
- Rome mayor resigns over expense scandal Updated: Oct-08-15 3:24 pm
ROME - Rome Mayor Ignazio Marino resigned Thursday following a scandal over his expense accounts that became the convenient final straw in a months-long campaign by opponents inside and out of his Democratic Party to force him from office.
- Amid new attacks, Israel bars ministers from Jerusalem site Updated: Oct-08-15 2:49 pm
JERUSALEM - A Palestinian stabbed four Israelis with a screwdriver on Thursday before a soldier shot and killed him amid fresh violence that prompted Israel's premier to bar Cabinet ministers and lawmakers from a sensitive Jerusalem holy site at the heart of the latest tensions.
- Patrick wants Texas lawmakers to focus on religious liberty Updated: Oct-08-15 1:37 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick wants the Texas Legislature to better protect religious liberty by examining whether local anti-discrimination ordinances violate state and federal law.
- Merkel, Zerai, Pope Francis all in Nobel Peace Prize buzz Updated: Oct-08-15 12:19 pm
OSLO, Norway - Europe's record-breaking refugee crisis was a hot topic ahead of the Nobel Peace Prize announcement on Friday, but a Saudi blogger, a pope who reveres the Earth and its poorest people and the key players in the Iranian nuclear deal were also generating buzz.
- Pennsylvania priest suspended in review of 2002 allegation Updated: Oct-08-15 8:54 am
ALTOONA, Pennsylvania - A western Pennsylvania priest is on leave while his diocese re-examines allegations of child-sex abuse against him in 2002.
- Oil-starved Nepal seeks suppliers to bring fuel by air Updated: Oct-08-15 7:57 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Struggling with a fuel shortage after Indian shipments stopped, Nepal is asking suppliers to bring gasoline and kerosene by airplane before the Himalayan country begins celebrating its biggest festival of the year. And for the first time, it is looking to import fuel from China.
- Lawmakers in Kashmir punch colleague for serving beef Updated: Oct-08-15 7:24 am
SRINAGAR, India - Lawmakers from India's ruling Hindu nationalist party in Kashmir kicked and punched an independent member of the state assembly on Thursday for hosting a party where he served beef.
- Judge OKs Muslim film ads rejected by New York subway agency Updated: Oct-07-15 8:03 pm
NEW YORK - A federal judge gave a green light Wednesday to light-hearted subway advertisements promoting a documentary about American Muslim comedians, saying a transportation agency improperly labeled them political in nature.
- Bill would allow Florida churches to say no to gay marriages Updated: Oct-07-15 5:28 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A bill that would allow churches to refuse to marry gay couples won its first approval Wednesday even though its sponsor said churches already have that right and he knows of no cases in which a church has been forced to perform a same-sex wedding ceremony.
- American Airlines crew talks about flight with pope Updated: Oct-07-15 4:47 pm
FORT WORTH, Texas - It was an airplane flight that changed Jeff Gross's life.
- County endures after hubbub over God's mercy, gay marriage Updated: Oct-07-15 2:41 pm
MARYVILLE, Tennessee - When commissioners in a Tennessee county scrapped an agenda that included a resolution asking for God's mercy despite ongoing gay marriages, they also effectively canceled their meeting, but officials have a workaround for that.
- Former Anglican bishop sentenced for sex assaults on teens Updated: Oct-07-15 1:16 pm
LONDON - A former Anglican bishop was jailed Wednesday for sexually assaulting teenagers and young men, two decades after he was first accused. At the time, powerful figures in Britain spoke out in support of the bishop, Peter Ball, and he was not charged.
- Wichita State criticized for changing chapel for Muslims Updated: Oct-07-15 1:02 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Wichita State University has announced plans to consider changing a campus chapel again after critics took aim at the school for renovating the religious space to accommodate Muslims.
- California professor cancels religious freedom speech at BYU Updated: Oct-07-15 12:56 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A California professor who was set to speak at Brigham Young University canceled after learning how the school treats Mormon students who lose their faith.
- Cameron: I'll get tough in EU talks, make 'Greater Britain' Updated: Oct-07-15 10:07 am
LONDON - British Prime Minister David Cameron vowed Wednesday to get tough in European Union negotiations, crack down on extremism, make Britain a more equal country - and then resign.
- Italy priest sanctioned for blaming children for pedophilia Updated: Oct-07-15 6:30 am
ROME - The Catholic Church in northern Italy's Trento region has sanctioned a priest who said pedophilia in the church was caused by children seeking the affection of priests.
- Request for God's mercy on gay marriage lacking amen Updated: Oct-06-15 9:15 pm
MARYVILLE, Tennessee - A resolution asking God to have mercy on a Tennessee county for issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples apparently didn't have a prayer of being considered Tuesday.
- Right-to-die backers say California helps fight elsewhere Updated: Oct-06-15 7:53 pm
SAN DIEGO - It will soon be legal for the terminally ill to end their own lives in the nation's most populous state, and right-to-die advocates expect other states to follow California's example.
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon 'pastor' to cash check Updated: Oct-06-15 6:44 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Authorities say a Philadelphia man has been arrested on charges that he posed as a so-called Mormon "pastor" to cash a refund check intended for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Utah cites Warren Jeff as reason polygamy should be illegal Updated: Oct-06-15 5:41 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah prosecutors are invoking jailed polygamous leader Warren Jeffs as proof that plural marriage should be illegal in the state as they make arguments in a case brought by the stars of reality TV show "Sister Wives."
- Flogged Saudi blogger wins Pinter free-speech prize Updated: Oct-06-15 4:15 pm
LONDON - A Saudi blogger who has been jailed and flogged for insulting Muslim clerics was awarded a major free-speech prize on Tuesday.
- Pruitt opinion says school prayer ban is overly broad Updated: Oct-06-15 4:03 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt has issued a formal opinion that a recently enacted policy prohibiting public prayer at playoff events is overly broad.
- Mormon leader apologizes for son's capitalizing attempt Updated: Oct-06-15 3:06 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A mid-level Mormon leader is apologizing for his son's attempt to capitalize on a phrase he coined during a speech at last weekend's church conference.
- Vatican: Pope Francis to visit Mexico next year, no date yet Updated: Oct-06-15 2:45 pm
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican says Pope Francis is planning to visit Mexico next year.