- Creditors: Minnesota archdiocese sitting on $1.7 billion Updated: May-24-16 1:11 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Creditors and an attorney for victims of clergy abuse are accusing a Minnesota archdiocese of vastly understating its assets in bankruptcy.
- Alleged Islamic State sympathizer arrested on terror charge Updated: May-24-16 12:54 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City man rejected twice trying to enter the United Kingdom after his camouflage clothing, nunchakus and Islamic State flag images on his cellphone raised suspicions was arrested Tuesday on charges that he tried to assist the terrorism group.
- Mormon temple statue designed to be struck by lightning Updated: May-24-16 12:31 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The gold statue on top of the Mormon temple in Bountiful that was struck by lightning is designed for that very purpose.
- Senators air rights concerns about India ahead of PM's visit Updated: May-24-16 12:25 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. lawmakers said Tuesday they are encouraged by growing defense cooperation with India but remain concerned about religious intolerance and slavery in the South Asian nation ahead of a visit by its prime minister.
- Virginia minister arrested on child pornography charges Updated: May-24-16 11:57 am
ISLE OF WIGHT, Virginia - A Virginia minister has been arrested in connection to an ongoing child pornography investigation.
- Idaho man sues ISU over hostility toward his Mormon faith Updated: May-24-16 10:24 am
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - An Idaho Falls man is suing Idaho State University, claiming that he was discriminated against because of his Mormon faith.
- Irish church eyes 2018 papal visit, reconciliation gesture Updated: May-24-16 8:02 am
VATICAN CITY - The archbishop of Dublin is hoping Pope Francis will visit Northern Ireland as well as Dublin to mark the next edition of the Catholic Church's big family rally.
- Death toll rises in bombing of Syria government strongholds Updated: May-24-16 7:39 am
BEIRUT - A suicide bomber who targeted a hospital in a Syrian coastal city the previous day killed 43 people, the World Health Organization said Tuesday, as an activist group raised the overall death toll from the day's unprecedented wave of attacks on government strongholds to 161.
- Priest abuse victim sentenced for child pornography Updated: May-24-16 6:48 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A Kentucky newspaper reports a man who was abused by a Catholic priest in Louisville as a child has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for using two boys to produce child pornography.
- Priest escapes jail time in attempted luring case Updated: May-24-16 2:55 am
VANCOUVER, Washington - A Catholic priest who pleaded guilty to trying to lure a 14-year-old girl into his car while she was walking home in Vancouver has avoided additional jail time in the case.
- Experts say divisive politician could win Australian seat Updated: May-24-16 2:25 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Right-wing firebrand politician Pauline Hanson, who opposes Muslim immigration, has a realistic chance of returning to Australia's Parliament in July elections, experts said Tuesday.
- Arizona city bars Satanic Temple prayer at council meeting Updated: May-23-16 9:27 pm
SCOTTSDALE, Arizona - Officials say Scottsdale will bar the Satanic Temple from leading a scheduled prayer at a City Council meeting in July.
- The Latest: Assembly agrees to labor-law signs in salons Updated: May-23-16 8:38 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on action by the California Legislature (all times local):
- Statue depicting Jesus as homeless debuts at Detroit church Updated: May-23-16 5:40 pm
DETROIT - A new statue depicting Jesus as a homeless man has been unveiled at a downtown Detroit church.
- The Latest: UN says 50,000 civilians in Fallujah at risk Updated: May-23-16 3:03 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - The Latest on a violent day in the Middle East, with deadly bombings in Syria and Yemen and the start of an Iraqi government offensive to retake the city of Fallujah from the Islamic State group (all times local):
- Tunisian Islamist party to separate religious, politics work Updated: May-23-16 12:34 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia - Tunisia's Islamist Ennahda party voted Monday to separate its political and religious work, part of its effort to cast itself in line with the North African country's secular political heritage.
- Omaha Catholic church plans renovation of community center Updated: May-23-16 12:24 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - An Omaha Catholic church and school has purchased a neighboring community center that shut down last year.
- EU police: religious extremism still top security threat Updated: May-23-16 11:48 am
BRUSSELS - A top European Union police official says that despite extensive government action, violent religious-driven extremism remains the "top threat to the security" of the 28-nation bloc and its half billion citizens.
- After migrants, German nationalist party takes aim at Islam Updated: May-23-16 11:46 am
ERFURT, Germany - Weeks after declaring that there is no place for Islam in Germany, a surging nationalist party has sharpened its rhetoric against prominent Islamic groups and suggested limiting the religious freedom of the more than 4 million Muslims in the country.
- Cults of personalities proliferate in Central Asia Updated: May-23-16 11:33 am
DUSHANBE, Tajikistan - Central Asia's autocratic leaders don't want to be liked. They want to be adored.
- Eastern Pennsylvania United Methodist Church marks 150 years Updated: May-23-16 10:26 am
LANGHORNE, Pennsylvania - Alma Willits has been a member of the Scottsville United Methodist Church in Lower Southampton since 1949. As the church historian, she'll have a place of honor Sunday when the congregation celebrates its 150th anniversary.
- Pope embraces Al-Azhar imam in sign of renewed relations Updated: May-23-16 9:35 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis on Monday embraced the grand imam of Al-Azhar, the prestigious Sunni Muslim center of learning, reopening an important channel for Catholic-Muslim dialogue after a five-year lull and at a time of increased Islamic extremist attacks on Christians.
- Michigan church damaged by June tornado hosts service again Updated: May-23-16 9:24 am
PORTLAND, Michigan - A Michigan church that was badly damaged by a June tornado is again hosting services at its rebuilt building.
- Head of Indian state to attend Mother Teresa canonization Updated: May-23-16 3:45 am
KOLKATA, India - The head of the Indian state where Mother Teresa worked with the destitute and ill says she'll travel to the Vatican for the Nobel winner's canonization later this year.
- Pittsburgh home for retired priests to get $5M makeover Updated: May-23-16 3:20 am
PITTSBURGH - A home for retired priests in Pittsburgh is getting a $5 million makeover that includes a new kitchen, dining room, living room and exercise facility.