- Pope says 'catastrophic' if interests derail climate talks Updated: Nov-26-15 12:41 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Pope Francis warned Thursday that it would be "catastrophic" for world leaders to let special interest groups get in the way of a global agreement to curb fossil fuel emissions as he brought his environmental message to the heart of Africa on the eve of make-or-break climate change talks in Paris.
- Gunmen attack Shiite mosque in Bangladesh; 1 dead Updated: Nov-26-15 11:32 am
NEW DELHI - At least five assailants opened fire Thursday on devotees during evening prayers at a Shiite mosque in northern Bangladesh, leaving one person dead and three others wounded, police said.
- In Saudi prison, artist facing death says he's no atheist Updated: Nov-26-15 11:27 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A Palestinian artist sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia for apostasy was quoted by a local news website Thursday as saying that he is not an atheist and that his case centers around a personal dispute he had with someone.
- The Latest: Pope condemns illegal trade in ivory, diamonds Updated: Nov-26-15 10:56 am
NAIROBI, Kenya -
- The Latest: German official says some migrants IS radicals Updated: Nov-26-15 10:21 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The latest on the mass movement of asylum-seekers and others seeking refuge in Europe. All times local:
- Gambia leader denounces female genital mutilation Updated: Nov-26-15 9:44 am
DAKAR, Senegal - Gambia's president advocated banning female genital mutilation, giving hope to human rights activists who are urging Gambia to adopt a law against the practice.
- Outspoken Miss World Canada denied entry to China Updated: Nov-26-15 9:31 am
HONG KONG - Canada's outspoken Miss World contestant said she was barred Thursday from entering China to take part in this year's pageant and accused Beijing of overreach in extending its campaign of censorship even to beauty contests.
- Rights court upholds French headscarf ban in hospital job Updated: Nov-26-15 4:55 am
PARIS - Europe's top human rights court is upholding France's headscarf ban in the case of a Muslim social worker who lost her hospital job because she would not remove her scarf.
- Settlement results in release of St. John's monk files Updated: Nov-25-15 8:03 pm
ST. CLOUD, Minnesota - St. John's Abbey has released the first batch of internal files of monks as part of a settlement of a clergy sex abuse lawsuit.
- Egypt says 30 percent turnout in 2nd round of voting Updated: Nov-25-15 3:28 pm
CAIRO - Turnout in the second round of Egypt's parliamentary elections was nearly 30 percent, authorities said Wednesday, with the vote expected to result in a rubber-stamp body loyal to President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi.
- County judge: No Nativity or other displays at courthouse Updated: Nov-25-15 3:06 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - No Nativity scene or any secular holiday displays can take root on the courthouse lawn this year, Baxter County Judge Mickey Pendergrass said Wednesday.
- Israel court allows transgender woman's cremation Updated: Nov-25-15 11:22 am
JERUSALEM - The body of an Israeli transgender woman who took her own life will be cremated despite her ultra-Orthodox family's wishes, Israel's Supreme Court ruled in documents obtained Wednesday.
- Spokesman says prayer at public school event was a mistake Updated: Nov-25-15 10:31 am
SABILLASVILLE, Maryland - A Frederick County Public Schools spokesman says a prayer said by a local Methodist minister at an elementary school assembly was a mistake.
- NYC mayor: Disbanded unit alienated Muslim-Americans Updated: Nov-25-15 10:26 am
NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio says the NYPD's disbanded demographics unit alienated Muslim-Americans - the very people who could assist law enforcement in the fight against terror.
- Supreme leader says US using money, sex to infiltrate Iran Updated: Nov-25-15 8:33 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's top leader says the United States is using "money and sex" to try to infiltrate the Islamic Republic and warns Iranians not to fall into the "enemy's trap."
- Interfaith Thanksgiving Dinner celebrates 25 years Updated: Nov-25-15 7:14 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - For the 25th year, two Columbia churches are coming together to make sure everyone has a hot turkey dinner on Thanksgiving.
- Russian crackdown on Muslims fuels exodus to Islamic State Updated: Nov-25-15 6:15 am
KOMSOMOLSKOYE, Russia - Rashid Magomedov had had enough, his father said. The devout Muslim was detained several times by Russian security police, spent two months in jail on charges that later were dismissed, and complained that police repeatedly planted weapons at his home as a pretext to arrest him.
- Grand Rapids' oldest black Baptist church marks anniversary Updated: Nov-25-15 5:15 am
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - Messiah Missionary Baptist Church in Grand Rapids was the realization of one pioneering woman's dream.
- Former church secretary pleads guilty to wire fraud Updated: Nov-25-15 4:01 am
BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky - A former secretary at a south-central Kentucky church has pleaded guilty to federal wire fraud charges.
- Ancient Jewish community endures on Tunisian isle Updated: Nov-25-15 2:58 am
DJERBA, Tunisia - When school lets out, the streets around the ancient synagogue on this Tunisian island fill with rambunctious boys wearing Jewish kippahs and girls in long skirts, shouting to each other in Hebrew, Arabic and French.
- Francis begins peace pilgrimage to 3 African countries Updated: Nov-25-15 2:15 am
ROME - Pope Francis has begun a pilgrimage to three African nations.
- Expert: Friends recruit most Islamic State fighters Updated: Nov-24-15 11:57 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A terrorism expert says three-quarters of those who become foreign fighters for the Islamic State extremist group are recruited through friends and about 20 percent through family members.
- Pastor among 8 indicted in fatal New York church beating Updated: Nov-24-15 8:54 pm
UTICA, New York - The pastor of an insular New York church where a young man was beaten to death and his younger brother seriously injured was among seven people charged Tuesday with murder.
- Recent editorials from Texas newspapers Updated: Nov-24-15 8:31 pm
The Dallas Morning News. Nov. 23, 2015.
- Jury awards $177,500 in suit against Kabbalah Centre Updated: Nov-24-15 8:10 pm
LOS ANGELES - A Los Angeles jury has awarded more than $177,000 to a former student of the Kabbalah Centre who claimed a so-called "Rabbi to the Stars" made unwanted sexual advances.