- China human rights campaigner Harry Wu dies Updated: Apr-27-16 2:57 am
BEIJING - Harry Wu, a former political prisoner who dedicated his later life to exposing abuses in China's brutal prison labor camp system, has died. He was 79.
- Saudi human rights activist sentenced to 9 years in prison Updated: Apr-24-16 9:14 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Rights group Amnesty International says a court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced a peaceful dissident to nine years in prison and banned him from travel abroad for another nine years on charges related to his civil rights work.
- Macedonia's prisoners ask for presidential pardons Updated: Apr-19-16 12:53 pm
SKOPJE, Macedonia - Nearly 2,000 prisoners in Macedonia have called on President Gjorge Ivanov to grant them partial pardons reducing their sentences, after he pardoned dozens of members of the country's political elite last week over a wiretapping scandal.
- Myanmar's Suu Kyi vows to amend junta-era constitution Updated: Apr-18-16 2:52 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi vowed Monday to push for constitutional amendments to build a true democracy in the Southeast Asian country as it emerges from decades of military control.
- Myanmar's new president pledges to free political prisoners Updated: Apr-16-16 11:54 pm
YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar's new president on Sunday pledged to continue efforts to release remaining political prisoners as part of the sweeping democratic changes his government envisions after a half-century of military control.
- Schwarzenegger ally's son to be freed from California prison Updated: Apr-08-16 5:51 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The son of former California state Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez will be freed from prison within days, prison officials said Friday, the result of then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's much criticized 2011 decision to commute half the manslaughter sentence for his political ally's child.
- Russia looking at possible transfer of Ukrainian convicts Updated: Apr-08-16 9:56 am
MOSCOW - Russia's Justice Ministry says it is looking into a Kiev request to transfer filmmaker Oleg Sentsov and three other Ukrainian convicts to Ukraine.
- Venezuela's Maduro rejects law to free opposition activists Updated: Apr-07-16 7:50 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has vetoed legislation that would give amnesty to activists the opposition considers political prisoners.
- Prominent political prisoner freed in Myanmar, many remain Updated: Apr-01-16 3:39 am
YANGON, Myanmar - A prominent political prisoner was released Friday after he finished his six-month jail sentence, coincidentally on the day that Myanmar's new, democratically-elected government began working.
- Romanian court hands ex-prison chief 20 years for 103 deaths Updated: Mar-30-16 8:39 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A Romanian court has sentenced a former prison commander to 20 years in prison for the deaths of 103 political prisoners while he was commander of a communist-era labor camp.