- Pope rules out retiring like his predecessor Updated: May-29-16 1:39 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis says he has no intention of quitting the papacy - a possibility opened up by his predecessor Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI.
- 2 Vatican bank board members resign over disagreements Updated: May-25-16 9:13 am
VATICAN CITY - Two board members of the scandal-marred Vatican bank have resigned over disagreements about the management and mission of the institution.
- Irish church eyes 2018 papal visit, reconciliation gesture Updated: May-24-16 8:02 am
VATICAN CITY - The archbishop of Dublin is hoping Pope Francis will visit Northern Ireland as well as Dublin to mark the next edition of the Catholic Church's big family rally.
- Pope embraces Al-Azhar imam in sign of renewed relations Updated: May-23-16 9:35 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis on Monday embraced the grand imam of Al-Azhar, the prestigious Sunni Muslim center of learning, reopening an important channel for Catholic-Muslim dialogue after a five-year lull and at a time of increased Islamic extremist attacks on Christians.
- Pope asks followers to pray for Turkey humanitarian summit Updated: May-22-16 7:30 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has asked for prayers so that participants at a humanitarian summit in Turkey fully commit to achieve what he defines as their main aim: saving the life of every human being.
- Pope warns bishops to consult Rome on new religious orders Updated: May-20-16 1:44 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is warning bishops that they must consult with the Vatican before approving new would-be religious orders or risk having their decisions overturned.
- New custodian of Holy Land vows to work for peace, dialogue Updated: May-20-16 8:17 am
VATICAN CITY - The Italian Franciscan priest named to head the Catholic Church's properties in the Holy Land says he is committed to building bridges, dialogue and peace.
- Pope gives pre-match pep talk to Milan, Juventus Updated: May-20-16 6:39 am
VATICAN CITY - AC Milan and Juventus have received a last-minute papal pep talk before this weekend's Italian Cup final.
- Pope: Exploiting workers for profit is a mortal sin Updated: May-19-16 6:18 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis says employers who exploit their workers for their own profit are committing a mortal sin.
- Vatican tamps down expectations over women deacons Updated: May-13-16 11:00 am
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican is tamping down any expectations that Pope Francis is about to let women serve as deacons in the Catholic Church anytime soon.
- Pope to visit genocide memorial during June trip to Armenia Updated: May-13-16 9:28 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis' trip to Armenia in June will include a visit to the genocide memorial complex, a monastery stop in the city of Gyumeri and a meeting with the president.
- Pope says he's willing to study whether women can be deacons Updated: May-12-16 2:17 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis said Thursday he is willing to create a commission to study whether women can be deacons in the Catholic Church, signaling openness to letting women serve in ordained ministry currently reserved to men.
- Pope seeks to renew European dream as he accepts unity prize Updated: May-06-16 11:58 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis, accepting a prize for promoting European unity, on Friday warned Europeans against the selfish temptation to put up fences to ward off newcomers, saying he still dreams of a Europe where migrants are welcomed.
- Pope insists pedophile criminals be 'severely' punished Updated: May-01-16 9:38 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is insisting that pedophiles who abuse children be severely punished.
- Pope decries 'desperate' situation in Syrian city of Aleppo Updated: May-01-16 7:35 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is decrying worsening violence amid the already "desperate" humanitarian situation in Syria, particularly in the northern city of Aleppo.