- Pope insists pedophile criminals be 'severely' punished Updated: May-01-16 9:38 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is insisting that pedophiles who abuse children be severely punished.
- Pope decries 'desperate' situation in Syrian city of Aleppo Updated: May-01-16 7:35 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is decrying worsening violence amid the already "desperate" humanitarian situation in Syria, particularly in the northern city of Aleppo.
- At the Vatican, Biden seeks common cause with pope on cancer Updated: Apr-29-16 1:55 pm
VATICAN CITY - Vice President Joe Biden found common cause with Pope Francis on Friday at the Vatican for a global commitment to fund cancer research.
- The Latest: Biden's grand welcome at Italian PM's residence Updated: Apr-29-16 9:24 am
VATICAN CITY - The Latest on Vice President Joe Biden's visit to Vatican City and Rome (all times local):
- Vatican crackdown on tax cheats flagged in oversight report Updated: Apr-28-16 2:38 pm
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican's financial watchdog said Thursday it received 544 reports of suspicious financial transactions last year, a three-fold increase over 2014, thanks in part to beefed-up efforts to flag potential tax cheats who are using the Vatican bank to hide money.
- Biden to push for global collaboration in cancer research Updated: Apr-27-16 5:38 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden will push for international cooperation in the fight against cancer in a speech at the Vatican.
- Sanford Health research to be featured at Vatican conference Updated: Apr-25-16 8:00 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The head of Dakotas-based Sanford Health, its major benefactor and several doctors are speaking at a conference this week in Vatican City.
- Pope to youth: Happiness can't be downloaded like an app Updated: Apr-24-16 7:44 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has told teenagers happiness can't be downloaded like a cellphone app.
- Pope: May Christian faithful kidnapped in Syria soon be free Updated: Apr-24-16 6:56 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is praying that a "merciful" God will touch the hearts of those in Syria who have abducted Catholic and Orthodox faithful, including bishops and priests, so that the captives will be released soon.
- Teenagers get surprise chance to confess sins to the pope Updated: Apr-23-16 8:55 am
VATICAN CITY - Sixteen teenagers have gotten an unexpected opportunity to confess sins to Pope Francis.
- Pope recalls Chernobyl and 'forgotten' conflict in Ukraine Updated: Apr-20-16 7:36 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is calling attention to the suffering in Ukraine caused by what he terms the "forgotten" armed conflict between government forces and Russian-backed rebels.
- Morales again raises eyebrows with papal gift Updated: Apr-15-16 1:17 pm
VATICAN CITY - Bolivian President Evo Morales has again raised eyebrows with an unusual gift for Pope Francis: books about the health benefits of coca leaves.
- The Latest: Sanders expands on campaign message at Vatican Updated: Apr-15-16 12:34 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders' trip to Rome to speak the Vatican conference on social and economic justice (all times Eastern Daylight Time):
- Vatican conference urges end to doctrine of 'just wars' Updated: Apr-14-16 2:46 pm
VATICAN CITY - Participants at a Vatican conference called Thursday for the Catholic Church to renounce its "just war" doctrine and for Pope Francis to write an encyclical on nonviolence and "just peace."
- Reporter tells Vatican court he was obliged to publish news Updated: Apr-13-16 3:34 pm
VATICAN CITY - An Italian journalist testified Wednesday that he never pressured a Vatican monsignor to give him confidential documents and said it was his obligation as a journalist to publish them because they were in the public interest.
- With migrant mission to Greece, pope pushes Ortho Updated: Apr-13-16 2:15 pm
VATICAN CITY - When Pope Francis and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, the spiritual leader of the world's Orthodox Christians, visit migrants on the Greek island of Lesbos this weekend, they'll be doing more than sending a political message about the need to welcome refugees.
- VP Joe Biden to bring cancer 'moonshot' to the Vatican Updated: Apr-13-16 1:22 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is bringing his "moonshot" to cure cancer to the Vatican.
- Vatican envoy who invited Kim Davis to papal meeting retires Updated: Apr-12-16 9:42 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of his ambassador to the United States who was behind Francis' controversial meeting with Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who went to jail rather than comply with a court order to issue same-sex marriage licenses.
- Pope to visit Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan on 2 trips Updated: Apr-09-16 8:28 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis will make two trips this year to the often-volatile Caucasus region.
- Pope emphasizes flexibility over rules for modern families Updated: Apr-08-16 1:43 pm
VATICAN CITY - In a sweeping document on family life that opened a door to divorced and civilly remarried Catholics, Pope Francis insisted Friday that church doctrine cannot be the final word in answering tricky moral questions and that Catholics must be guided by their own informed consciences.
- Religion news in brief Updated: Apr-06-16 12:21 pm
Mississippi gov. signs law allowing service denial to gays
- Pope Francis blesses eyes of 5-year-old girl going blind Updated: Apr-06-16 10:44 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis on Wednesday blessed the eyes of a 5-year-old Ohio girl who suffers from a rare genetic disease that is gradually robbing her of her sight.
- Vatican eyes possible pope trip to Greece but no decision Updated: Apr-05-16 11:50 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis may visit the Greek island of Lesbos as early as next week to show solidarity with refugees who are being deported back to Turkey under the European Union's controversial program to ease Europe's migrant problem.
- New hopes for Vatican progress with schismatic Catholics Updated: Apr-04-16 12:38 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis met with the head of a breakaway group of traditionalist Catholics amid new hopes for progress toward ending a quarter-century of schism.
- Pope Francis announces special collection for Ukraine Updated: Apr-03-16 8:25 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has announced a special collection to help people in Ukraine suffering amid conflict "who thirst for peace and reconciliation."