- George and Amal Clooney meet Merkel to discuss refugees Updated: Feb-12-16 5:39 am
BERLIN - Actor George Clooney and his lawyer wife Amal have had a private meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel to discuss the crisis in Syria and Europe's efforts to help refugees.
- Berlin Film Festival jury questioned over diversity Updated: Feb-11-16 5:50 pm
BERLIN - The Berlin International Film Festival became embroiled Thursday in the debate about diversity in the movie industry, with jury president Meryl Streep dismissing questions about the all-white panel by telling reporters that "we're all Africans, really."
- George Clooney hopes to meet Merkel to discuss refugees Updated: Feb-11-16 2:02 pm
BERLIN - Actor George Clooney says he plans to meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel to discuss the situation in Syria, which has contributed to the surge in refugees coming to Europe over the past year.
- Germany to loan Iraq $566 million to aid reconstruction Updated: Feb-11-16 8:11 am
BERLIN - Chancellor Angela Merkel says Germany will give a 500 million-euro loan ($566 million) to Iraq to help rebuild the country's infrastructure.
- Germany cites free speech amid Polish ire at Carnival float Updated: Feb-10-16 11:53 am
BERLIN - The German government rejected a suggestion Wednesday that it might take action over a Carnival float that drew the ire of Poland's government this week.
- 17-year-old American Christian Pulisic gets Bundesliga debut Updated: Feb-05-16 2:54 am
BERLIN - Christian Pulisic made a big impression in less than half an hour.
- As Europe grapples with migrant influx, benefits limited Updated: Feb-02-16 9:38 am
BERLIN - Germany is mulling taking away benefits from asylum-seekers if they refuse to try to learn the language and integrate; Denmark has just approved a measure to let police seize valuables from migrants to help cover their housing and food costs; and an Austrian province this week is expected to more than halve payments to many refugees.
- Albanian convicted over killing of Israeli in Berlin Updated: Feb-02-16 9:35 am
BERLIN - An Albanian man has been convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 8½ years in prison for killing an Israeli whose body was found in a ruined Berlin church last year.
- Germany's Merkel presses Putin on Ukraine separatists Updated: Feb-02-16 5:46 am
BERLIN - The German government says Chancellor Angela Merkel has urged President Vladimir Putin to use Russia's influence with separatists in eastern Ukraine to help secure progress toward a political solution.
- Homesick and fed up: Iraqi refugees in Germany head home Updated: Jan-28-16 8:13 am
BERLIN - It's a change of heart that Iraqi immigrant Sekvan Agho never saw coming.
- Holocaust victims honored 71 years after Auschwitz liberated Updated: Jan-27-16 12:20 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Dozens of elderly Holocaust survivors lit candles at Auschwitz on Wednesday, exactly 71 years after the Soviet army liberated the death camp that has become the most powerful symbol of the human suffering inflicted by Nazi Germany during World War II.
- Exhibit of Jewish artists' Holocaust works opens in Berlin Updated: Jan-25-16 11:43 am
BERLIN - Nelly Toll was 8 years old when she and her mother went into hiding in 1943 in Poland to escape the Nazis' death camps. The Jewish girl spent long hours in her tiny hideaway at a Christian family's home writing stories, keeping a diary and creating wonderful, bright paintings of a lost world.
- Merkel and Davutoglu seek solutions to migrant crisis Updated: Jan-22-16 12:33 pm
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu pledged Friday to continue to work intensively together to solve Europe's migrant crisis - not only to stem the flow of people but to improve conditions in camps in Turkey and to try and bring about a peace deal in Syria.
- Man pushes stranger in front of Berlin subway train Updated: Jan-20-16 7:36 am
BERLIN - German police say a 20-year-old woman has died after being pushed in front of a Berlin subway train by an apparent stranger.
- German politician sends bus with refugees to Merkel Updated: Jan-14-16 2:17 pm
BERLIN - A bus carrying 31 Syrian refugees arrived from southern Germany in Berlin on Thursday night as a district councilor in Bavaria followed up on his pledge to Chancellor Angela Merkel that he'd send refugees her way if his district could no longer provide accommodation for them.
- Istanbul suicide bomber registered as refugee before attack Updated: Jan-13-16 5:01 pm
ISTANBUL - The suicide attacker who detonated a bomb that killed 10 German tourists in the heart of Istanbul's historic district had registered as a refugee just a week earlier, Turkish officials said Wednesday, raising questions over whether extremists are posing as asylum-seekers to inflame anti-immigrant sentiment in Europe.
- The Latest: Turkey detains 4 more in Istanbul blast probe Updated: Jan-13-16 12:13 pm
ISTANBUL - The latest on the investigation into the explosion in the historic center of Istanbul. All times local.