- Asafa Powell likes flying under radar to world championships Updated: Jul-02-15 12:12 pm
PARIS - Offered a glass of water in a sweltering Parisian heat wave, Asafa Powell shook his head, preferring the risk of thirst.
- French court reinstates Jean-Marie Le Pen in far-right party Updated: Jul-02-15 11:20 am
PARIS - A French court has reinstated Jean-Marie Le Pen as a member of the far-right National Front party he founded decades ago, delivering a biting blow to his daughter and party president Marine Le Pen, who had suspended him after a series of controversial and anti-Semitic statements.
- 2 French soldiers arrested over Africa sex abuse allegations Updated: Jul-02-15 6:25 am
PARIS - Two French soldiers were arrested Thursday over allegations of child sex abuse in Burkina Faso.
- China announces climate target for Paris deal Updated: Jun-30-15 4:21 pm
PARIS - Top carbon polluter China confirmed it will try to cap its rising emissions before 2030 while the U.S. and Brazil pledged to boost renewable energy sources in a series of announcements Tuesday in anticipation of a global climate pact in Paris.
- Injured Usain Bolt pulls out of Diamond League meetings Updated: Jun-30-15 2:14 pm
PARIS - Slowed by an injured left leg, Usain Bolt withdrew Tuesday from this month's Diamond League meetings in Paris and Lausanne, dealing a blow to his title defense preparations for the world championships in August.
- Former French security chief Charles Pasqua dies at 88 Updated: Jun-30-15 1:10 pm
PARIS - Charles Pasqua, a French Resistance fighter who went on to become France's top security chief and a powerful player on the French right, has died in Paris. He was 88.
- Westbrook unveils Jordan Brand shoe, cologne, eyeglass frame Updated: Jun-30-15 11:52 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - Thunder guard Russell Westbrook's imprint on fashion has expanded to include a signature Jordan Brand shoe, a cologne and an eyeglass frame collaboration with a high-end retailer.
- Chinese premier calls for deal to keep Greece in eurozone Updated: Jun-29-15 4:08 pm
BRUSSELS - The prime minister of China, the European Union's No. 2 trading partner, called Monday on Greece and its creditors to reach a last-minute deal that will allow Greece to remain in the eurozone.
- Gary Oldman, Pierce Brosnan sons model for Saint Laurent Updated: Jun-28-15 4:33 pm
PARIS - Pierce Brosnan and Gary Oldman attended the Saint Laurent Paris show - not as celebrity actors but as proud and genuinely nervous parents.
- US same-sex marriage ruling likely to impact other countries Updated: Jun-27-15 8:47 pm
LONDON - The landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling in favor of same-sex marriages has no legal force outside the United States, but gay rights activists in many parts of the world believe the court ruling will help their cause.
- The Latest: Interpol offers help to 4 nations hit by terror Updated: Jun-26-15 1:26 pm
PARIS - The latest on the attack in southeastern France (all times local):
- New lion babies go on display in Paris zoo Updated: Jun-26-15 11:53 am
PARIS - A French zoo has debuted its latest stars, unveiling three baby lions to the public for the first time.
- French president rails against Uber amid taxi tensions Updated: Jun-26-15 8:25 am
PARIS - France's president wants Uber's cheapest car service shut down and its vehicles seized, but Uber refuses to stop the service until a ruling by the country's top court.
- French taxi drivers smash cars in strike against Uber Updated: Jun-25-15 9:45 pm
PARIS - French taxi drivers pulled out the throttle in an all-out confrontation with the ultra-cheap Uber car service Thursday, smashing livery cars, setting tires ablaze and blocking traffic during a nationwide strike that caught tourists and celebrities alike in the mayhem.
- Saudi Arabia, France sign billions in ship, plane deals Updated: Jun-24-15 12:35 pm
PARIS - Saudi Arabia signed agreements worth billions of dollars on Wednesday to buy helicopters, Airbus jets and two possible nuclear reactors from France.
- French court rules police illegally targeted minorities Updated: Jun-24-15 12:22 pm
PARIS - A French appeals court ruled Wednesday that police carried out unjustified identity checks on five minority men based on their racial profiles, ordering the government to pay them damages in an unprecedented ruling that activists hope will help reduce widespread discrimination.
- Review: The fetish fables of 'The Little Death' score Updated: Jun-23-15 8:08 pm
I come to praise the portmanteau.
- Diplomats seek to calm Ukraine fighting, break stalemate Updated: Jun-23-15 6:11 pm
PARIS - The foreign ministers of Russia, Ukraine, France and Germany tried Tuesday to revive high-end diplomatic efforts to end the conflict in eastern Ukraine, amid escalating fighting that is throwing doubts on a shaky peace accord.
- France releases South Korean ferry tycoon's daughter Updated: Jun-23-15 3:26 pm
PARIS - A French appeals court has ordered the release of the daughter of a South Korean businessman believed to be linked to a deadly ferry disaster, pending a decision on whether to extradite her.
- Allez Paris: French capital launches bid for 2024 Olympics Updated: Jun-23-15 12:27 pm
PARIS - Declaring they have learned from their past mistakes and failures, French officials launched a bid Tuesday to bring the Olympics to Paris in 2024 - 100 years after the games were last held in the city.
- French senators reject a bill on sedating terminal patients Updated: Jun-23-15 10:43 am
PARIS - France's senate has voted against a bill allowing the sedation of terminally ill patients, fearing it would lead to allowing euthanasia, which is illegal in the country.
- Paris becomes 4th city to join race for 2024 Olympic Games Updated: Jun-23-15 9:33 am
PARIS - Paris declared its candidacy for the 2024 Olympics on Tuesday, becoming the fourth city to enter the race and setting out its vision for bringing the games back to the French capital for the first time in 100 years.
- GMO lamb with jellyfish protein sold for meat in France Updated: Jun-23-15 8:14 am
PARIS - France's national agricultural institute is investigating how a lamb whose mother had been genetically modified with a jellyfish protein as part of a medical experiment was sold as meat.
- Governors' trade missions have uneven record of success Updated: Jun-22-15 5:08 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Governors across the country have been packing their bags for all-expenses-paid trade missions abroad, spending taxpayer dollars on costly trips that have an uneven track record of yielding any tangible benefits for their states.
- Le Havre bidding for nautical events in Paris 2024 candidacy Updated: Jun-22-15 11:57 am
LE HAVRE, France - The north-western city of Le Havre is bidding to organize the nautical events at the 2024 Olympics if Paris wins the hosting rights.