- French Jewish immigrants flock to Israeli coastal city Updated: Jul-31-15 3:17 am
NETANYA, Israel - The coastal city of Netanya markets itself as the "Israeli Riviera" and walking along its main pedestrian boulevard, one would be hard-pressed to tell it apart from its twin city of Nice. Barely a word of Hebrew is spoken, and real estate ads, restaurant menus and cafe conversations are mostly in French.
- L'Oreal profit, sales climb across divisions Updated: Jul-30-15 2:16 pm
PARIS - Global cosmetics leader L'Oreal says its 2015 profit grew 8.5 percent in the first half, driven by improvement among higher-end makeup and perfume lines including Giorgio Armani, Yves Saint Laurent and Kiehl's.
- Keaten appointment AP chief correspondent in Switzerland Updated: Jul-30-15 6:55 am
LONDON - Jamey Keaten, a reporter in the Paris office of The Associated Press, has been named chief correspondent for Switzerland.
- Sanofi reports higher profit in 2nd quarter Updated: Jul-30-15 2:46 am
PARIS - Drugmaker Sanofi has reported a sharp rise in profits in the second quarter as higher sales from its Cambridge, Massachusetts-based biotech unit Genzyme helped offset by cuts in the price of the company's diabetes treatment Lantus in the U.S.
- France deploys riot police to bolster Calais security Updated: Jul-29-15 5:02 pm
CALAIS, France - The young Afghan has tried every single day for three months to get into the railway tunnel in Calais leading to England and what he hopes will be a better life. For him, like the dozens who appeared as darkness fell, Wednesday would be the same even if their numbers were immeasurably larger than even a week ago.
- French, German tank makers sign tie-up agreement Updated: Jul-29-15 3:40 pm
PARIS - French and German executives from two of Europe's leading armored vehicle makers signed a long-awaited merger deal Wednesday aimed at creating a new European champion in the $50 billion annual terrestrial defense market.
- EU checking if Disneyland Paris charges unfair prices Updated: Jul-29-15 8:07 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union is looking into complaints that Disneyland Paris is unfairly charging different prices for consumers depending on what nation the request comes from.
- 2 surrender, 1 hurt in barricade crash at Tour de France Updated: Jul-27-15 9:23 am
PARIS - A police official says two people have surrendered in the search for the driver of a car that tried to crash barricades near the Tour de France finish line.
- The Latest: Tour chief: Flat stage key in battle of climbers Updated: Jul-26-15 4:45 pm
PARIS - The Latest from the Tour de France (all times local):
- Chris Froome wins 2nd Tour de France Updated: Jul-26-15 4:06 pm
PARIS - All for one, one for all, and all bathed in yellow.
- France's top court OKs controversial surveillance bill Updated: Jul-24-15 6:05 am
PARIS - France's Constitutional Council has ruled that a bill legalizing broad surveillance of terrorism suspects doesn't violate the country's constitution.
- Mayors endorse UN sustainability goals at Vatican Updated: Jul-22-15 2:01 pm
VATICAN CITY - Mayors emboldened by an appeal from Pope Francis committed themselves Wednesday to a new set of U.N. goals to end poverty and promote sustainable development over the next 15 years.
- AP Interview: UN climate chief: Paris to set 50-year agenda Updated: Jul-22-15 11:40 am
PARIS - The December climate change conference in Paris is the last chance for a meaningful agreement that would offer hope for a planet at risk due to greenhouse gases, U.N. climate chief Christiana Figueres said Wednesday.
- France set to back reducing reliance on nuclear power Updated: Jul-22-15 10:26 am
PARIS - French lawmakers are set to approve a bill aimed at reducing the country's reliance on nuclear power and boost the usage of renewable energy instead.
- 4 Chelsea fans given football bans up to 5 years Updated: Jul-22-15 10:24 am
LONDON - Four Chelsea supporters involved in a racist incident in the Paris subway have been given banning orders of up to five years.
- World mayors at Vatican urge 'bold climate agreement' Updated: Jul-21-15 11:25 pm
VATICAN CITY - Mayors from around the world declared Tuesday that climate change is real, man-made and must be stopped as a matter of moral imperative, gathering at the Vatican to announce new measures to fight global warming and bask in Pope Francis' ecological star power.
- French prosecutors: No reason for charges in Arafat's death Updated: Jul-21-15 12:22 pm
PARIS - A French prosecutor's office says there is not sufficient reason to bring charges in the 2004 death of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and asked that the case be dismissed.
- Birmingham mayor: Pleased to back pope's call to end slavery Updated: Jul-21-15 10:44 am
VATICAN CITY - The latest developments at the Vatican's meeting of mayors on fighting climate change and human trafficking. All times local.
- French president pushes for an ambitious global climate deal Updated: Jul-21-15 7:53 am
PARIS - French President Francois Hollande is calling for an ambitious accord on the climate to address the threat of global warming.
- Doctors say teen's HIV in check for 12 years without drugs Updated: Jul-20-15 2:40 pm
An 18-year-old French teen born with the AIDS virus has had her infection under control and nearly undetectable despite stopping treatment 12 years ago - an unprecedented remission, doctors are reporting.
- Germany awards medals of honor to Nazi-hunting couple Updated: Jul-20-15 12:40 pm
PARIS - Germany has awarded medals of honor to a French couple who spent decades bringing Nazi war criminals to justice - sometimes by unconventional means.
- 3 French arrested in IS-inspired plan to attack base Updated: Jul-17-15 2:16 pm
PARIS - Three young men plotted an attack on a French military base after receiving orders from an Islamic State group contact in Syria to strike in France, prosecutors said Friday.
- Drug lord jailbreak clouds Mexican leader's visit to France Updated: Jul-13-15 9:50 am
PARIS - Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto is paying a state visit to France this week amid the shock of drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman's dramatic escape from a maximum security prison in Mexico.
- Paris police: 18 freed, gunmen at large after store robbery Updated: Jul-13-15 6:20 am
VILLENEUVE-LA-GARENNE, France - A group of gunmen broke into a discount clothing store near Paris on Monday, trapping 18 people inside for hours before fleeing and prompting a manhunt throughout the area, police said.
- Omar Sharif, of "Doctor Zhivago," "Lawrence of Arabia," dies Updated: Jul-11-15 12:06 am
CAIRO - In "Lawrence of Arabia," Omar Sharif first emerges as a speck in the distance in the shimmering desert sand. He draws closer, a black-robed figure on a trotting camel, until he finally dismounts, pulling aside his scarf to reveal his dark eyes and a disarming smile framed by his thin mustache.