- Finland opens speedy Germany data link across the Baltic Sea Updated: May-20-16 10:31 am
HELSINKI - A Finnish IT group says it has commissioned a 1,200 kilometer-long (745-mile) ultra-fast data cable across the Baltic Sea from Germany in an attempt to lure central European technology companies to Finland.
- In Finland, a Burger King with a sauna Updated: May-18-16 9:46 am
HELSINKI - Finland's Parliament has one. Nokia has one. And now a Burger King restaurant in downtown Helsinki has its own sauna.
- Nokia sees drop in Q1 earnings, gives cautious outlook Updated: May-10-16 12:28 pm
HELSINKI - Nokia reported Tuesday a first-quarter net loss of 513 million euros ($584 million) due to lower demand in mobile networks and a drop in overall revenue despite its acquisition of Alcatel-Lucent. It warned of a further decline in earnings, causing the shares to plunge 7 percent.
- Finnish officials halt human smuggling at Arctic border Updated: May-09-16 11:38 am
HELSINKI - Border officials have broken up a ring of international human traffickers who allegedly smuggled migrants into the country from Russia across the European Union's two northernmost border points in Arctic Finland, a Finnish Border Guard investigator said Monday.
- UN chief names choices for top UN environments posts Updated: May-03-16 7:58 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The newly-appointed head of the U.N. environment agency said Tuesday he wants to change the organization to relate more to the average person and plans to further engage the private sector to achieve global environmental goals.
- Finnish broadcaster fights taxman demand for Panama Papers Updated: May-02-16 1:27 pm
HELSINKI - Finnish broadcaster YLE won't provide documents related to the Panama Papers to the country's tax authority, which has demanded access to them in an apparent move to trace tax dodgers with offshore accounts, the company said Monday.
- Finnish report highlights Russian threat of NATO membership Updated: Apr-29-16 8:55 am
HELSINKI - Finland could expect "harsh" reactions from Russia if it decided to join NATO, but would be better off doing so together with neighboring Sweden, an expert panel told the Finnish government on Friday.