- Sen. Bernie Sanders picks up superdelegate vote in Hawaii Updated: May-31-16 8:56 pm
HONOLULU - U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders has picked up a superdelegate vote in Hawaii, but he still faces a steep uphill battle in his quest to overtake Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination.
- Aerial surveys document ocean debris around Hawaii Updated: May-31-16 7:46 pm
HONOLULU - A study of the eight main Hawaiian Islands shows that ocean debris regularly accumulates around the archipelago, and that most of it is not linked to the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan, state officials said Tuesday.
- Hawaii tourism leaders lament loss of Pro Bowl to Florida Updated: May-31-16 7:31 pm
HONOLULU - The president of the Hawaii Lodging and Tourism Association said Tuesday the departure of the NFL's Pro Bowl for Orlando, Florida, is a black eye to the state's sports tourism sector.
- The Latest: Hannemann: Pro Bowl loss is black eye Updated: May-31-16 6:51 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the NFL moving the Pro Bowl game to Orlando. (All times local):
- AP sources: NFL moving Pro Bowl to Orlando in 2017 Updated: May-31-16 12:51 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - The NFL is moving the Pro Bowl from Honolulu to Orlando this season, three people with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
- State considers permanent ban on ohia transport Updated: May-31-16 9:00 am
HILO, Hawaii - State officials are set to consider whether an emergency quarantine put into effect last summer to prevent the spread of a fungus that has destroyed thousands of acres of the Big Island's native forests should be a permanent rule.
- Arrest of suspect in fatal assault shuts down freeway Updated: May-31-16 8:52 am
HONOLULU - Honolulu police say they have arrested a suspect in connection with a fatal assault after a chase that ended on a freeway overpass.
- Ewa Beach teen dies after hike in Pearl City Updated: May-31-16 8:47 am
HONOLULU - Officials have identified a teenager who died after collapsing during a hike in the Pearl City area.
- Hotel fined for fireworks launched without state permit Updated: May-30-16 3:00 pm
HONOLULU - A state agency has fined a Honolulu hotel for a New Year's Eve fireworks show launched from state land.
- Employees concerned over mold at Hilo wastewater plant Updated: May-30-16 2:25 pm
HILO, Hawaii - An administrative building at a Hilo wastewater treatment plant has been mostly vacated after mold was found in its ceilings and walls.
- Vehicle plunges off Maui cliff; 1 female dies, 1 injured Updated: May-30-16 1:57 pm
HANA, Hawaii - A female died and another was critically injured when a vehicle plunged off the Hana Highway and landed 200 feet below on a shoreline.
- Deteriorating boardwalk at Kauai state park gets replaced Updated: May-30-16 1:41 pm
HONOLULU - A 20-year-old boardwalk at Kauai's Kokee State Park is getting replaced with recycled plastic as state officials aim to protect the area's rare species and improve safety for the thousands of people who visit each year.
- Housing project stalled after lead, arsenic found Updated: May-29-16 2:02 pm
HONOLULU - Contaminated soil has halted redevelopment of a Hilo public housing complex.
- Proposed fishing moratorium at Kaupulehu moves forward Updated: May-29-16 1:37 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - A proposed 10-year moratorium on harvesting fish along 3.6 miles of west Hawaii coastline is moving forward with the goal of helping populations recover.
- Court dates set for suspended university football player Updated: May-28-16 3:00 pm
HONOLULU - A suspended University of Hawaii football player is expected to plead no contest to charges stemming from two separate incidents.
- Honolulu schools to let kids with lice stay in class Updated: May-28-16 2:39 pm
HONOLULU - Honolulu students who get lice next year can stay in schools that are included in a new education department policy.
- Telescope company, foes agree on replacing hearing officer Updated: May-27-16 11:04 pm
HONOLULU - Opponents of a giant telescope and the nonprofit company that wants to build it on Mauna Kea agree on something: It's time for a new hearings officer to oversee proceedings for the project's construction permit.
- Dozens of Hawaii schools serving free meals over summer Updated: May-27-16 9:12 pm
HONOLULU - Free meals will be served to children at around 70 public schools across the Hawaiian islands over the summer.
- Scientists find minivan-sized sponge, world's largest Updated: May-27-16 8:07 pm
HONOLULU - Researchers in Hawaii have been absorbed by a sea creature they discovered last summer, and their findings are pretty big.
- Stolen dog returned to Kauai shelter, 5 still missing Updated: May-27-16 8:50 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - A Kauai animal shelter is welcoming back one of six dogs that was stolen from the facility after the animal was found wandering along a highway.
- Fewer but taller wind turbines proposed for Kahuku Updated: May-27-16 8:46 am
HONOLULU - The developer of a proposed wind farm on Oahu has unveiled a new plan for the project that calls for fewer, but taller turbines.
- Former US Rep. Colleen Hanabusa begins run for Congress Updated: May-26-16 11:08 pm
HONOLULU - Former U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa has begun the process in Hawaii to run for the congressional seat that will be left vacant by U.S. Rep. Mark Takai.
- Hawaiian Airlines: Expect longer security waits this weekend Updated: May-26-16 11:04 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaiian Airlines says travelers should expect even longer wait times than usual at Honolulu International Airport over the busy holiday weekend.
- The Latest: Telescope hearing officer explains UH mediation Updated: May-26-16 10:31 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the request by University of Hawaii's Hilo campus to replace the hearing officer overseeing Thirty Meter Telescope proceedings (all times local):
- Feds: 2016 hurricane season in Pacific will be about average Updated: May-26-16 7:28 pm
HONOLULU - After a record-setting hurricane season fueled by a strong El Nino in 2015, federal forecasters said Thursday the 2016 central Pacific hurricane season will likely be only slightly above average as La Nina conditions take over.