- State considers permanent ban on ohia transport Updated: May-31-16 9:00 am
HILO, Hawaii - State officials are set to consider whether an emergency quarantine put into effect last summer to prevent the spread of a fungus that has destroyed thousands of acres of the Big Island's native forests should be a permanent rule.
- Employees concerned over mold at Hilo wastewater plant Updated: May-30-16 2:25 pm
HILO, Hawaii - An administrative building at a Hilo wastewater treatment plant has been mostly vacated after mold was found in its ceilings and walls.
- Housing project stalled after lead, arsenic found Updated: May-29-16 2:02 pm
HONOLULU - Contaminated soil has halted redevelopment of a Hilo public housing complex.
- The Latest: Telescope hearing officer explains UH mediation Updated: May-26-16 10:31 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the request by University of Hawaii's Hilo campus to replace the hearing officer overseeing Thirty Meter Telescope proceedings (all times local):
- Police seek suspect who placed rocks on Mauna Kea road Updated: May-24-16 11:21 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Hawaii state conservation officers are seeking a suspect who placed rocks on the access road to the Big Island's Mauna Kea.
- Hawaii Fire Department chief faces civil rights lawsuit Updated: May-24-16 8:54 am
HILO, Hawaii - Two former battalion chiefs of the Hawaii Fire Department are suing the fire chief, claiming they were suspended for publicly criticizing him.
- Hawaii top state for most non-English speakers Updated: May-23-16 8:56 am
HILO, Hawaii - A report from the state shows Hawaii has the highest proportion of non-English speakers among other states in the nation.
- Man convicted in King Kamehameha statue spear tip theft Updated: May-21-16 1:17 pm
HILO, Hawaii - A man has been convicted of taking the spear tip from the statue of King Kamehameha in September.
- Hundreds attend funeral for family of 3 killed on Big Island Updated: May-20-16 9:29 am
HILO, Hawaii - Hundreds of people gathered at memorial services for a woman and her two children who were shot to death in their home on the Big Island earlier this month.
- Telescope contested case hearing officer wants fresh start Updated: May-16-16 8:37 pm
HONOLULU - The retired Big Island judge overseeing a contested case hearing for the Thirty Meter Telescope project said Monday she wants a fresh look at the issue.
- The Latest: Telescope hearing officer wants fresh start Updated: May-16-16 8:00 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on a meeting between lawyers involved in the Mauna Kea telescope dispute and a retired judge overseeing a contested case hearing (all times local):
- Pesticide training teaches long-term tiny fire ant abatement Updated: May-15-16 12:10 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Big Island residents can get pesticide training to help fight invasive little fire ants.
- The Latest: Thirty Meter Telescope meeting open to public Updated: May-11-16 10:57 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on a meeting for the Thirty Meter Telescope contested case hearing (all times local):
- Hilo center to resume mammograms after suspension Updated: May-10-16 9:17 am
HILO, Hawaii - A Hilo center that provides mammography services is on track to resume operations after its services were decertified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Trail starts Monday in theft of Kamehameha statue spear tip Updated: May-07-16 1:10 pm
HILO, Hawaii - A man will go to trial Monday in the case of a 6-foot spear section severed from the Kamehameha the Great statue in Hilo.
- Hawaii County moves forward with composting plan Updated: May-06-16 10:11 am
HILO, Hawaii - Hawaii County has approved more than $10 million for a new composting facility capable of turning green waste into compost for the public to buy.
- The Latest: Colombia: Mariner's skiff never reported lost Updated: May-05-16 7:21 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the rescue of a Colombian mariner who was lost at sea for two months (all times local):