- Australian lawmaker links trade dispute with asylum seekers Updated: May-26-16 12:57 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's deputy prime minister is being criticized for suggesting that a temporary ban on cattle exports to Indonesia five years ago hindered ties with Jakarta that contributed to an influx of asylum seekers arriving on Australian shores by boats from Indonesia.
- Indonesia nabs 3 boats with 79 trafficked fishermen on board Updated: May-17-16 6:15 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Three Thai fishing boat captains have escaped from custody in Indonesia after their vessels were seized with dozens of trafficked foreign fishermen on board, an official said Tuesday.
- 17 people killed, 4 missing in western Indonesia floods Updated: May-16-16 9:05 am
SIBOLANGIT, Indonesia - Rescuers on Monday found the bodies of 17 people who were among 20 university students and two guides who went missing in rain-triggered floods and landslides at a popular waterfall in western Indonesia, an official said.
- Elephant kills woman taking photographs in Indonesia Updated: May-11-16 4:44 am
SOLO, Indonesia - An endangered Sumatran elephant charged a woman who was taking photographs, trampling her to death Wednesday at a tourist spot on Indonesia's island of Java.
- Indonesia calls on Islamic leaders to promote tolerant Islam Updated: May-09-16 9:30 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia's vice president on Monday called on Islamic leaders to spread messages about a tolerant Islam to curb extremism that often springs from misinterpretation of Islamic teachings.
- Severe turbulence injures 32 on Etihad flight to Indonesia Updated: May-04-16 11:51 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Thirty-one passengers and a crew member aboard an Etihad Airways flight were injured Wednesday when their plane ran into sudden turbulence as it prepared to land in the Indonesian capital, Jakarta.