- Dubai to open 2016-17 IRB Sevens season in December Updated: May-25-16 1:45 am
SYDNEY - Fiji will begin defense of its IRB world sevens title on Dec. 2-3 when the opening tournament of the 10-round, 2016-17 season is held at Dubai, followed a week later at Cape Town.
- McIlroy eagles last hole for 1st win of season at Irish Open Updated: May-22-16 6:49 pm
STRAFFAN, Ireland - Rory McIlroy eagled the final hole to cap his first victory of the season Sunday at the Irish Open, his home tournament where he's famously struggled over the years.
- Sturgeon criticized for not condemning soccer violence Updated: May-22-16 3:50 pm
GLASGOW, Scotland - Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon was criticized by soccer club Rangers on Sunday for failing to condemn the behavior of Hibernian fans after violent scenes marred their Scottish Cup final.
- Rangers says players assaulted by Hibs fans after cup final Updated: May-21-16 1:28 pm
GLASGOW, Scotland - Rangers said its players were assaulted on the Hampden Park field by Hibernian fans after the Edinburgh team won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years on Saturday.
- Church of Scotland votes to allow gay marriage for clergy Updated: May-21-16 9:53 am
LONDON - The Church of Scotland has voted to let its ministers enter same-sex marriages - though saying it "maintains its traditional view of marriage between a man and woman."
- Rodgers makes managerial return at Celtic Updated: May-20-16 1:19 pm
GLASGOW, Scotland - Brendan Rodgers was hired as the new coach of Scottish champion Celtic on Friday, sealing a return to soccer management seven months after being fired by Liverpool.
- Muirfield says 'no' to female members, off British Open list Updated: May-19-16 5:11 pm
Muirfield was stripped of its right to host the British Open after the Scottish club voted against admitting female members in a move that provoked sharp criticism from players and lawmakers Thursday.
- Royal Troon consults members on allowing women to join club Updated: May-17-16 9:50 am
TROON, Scotland - Royal Troon Golf Club, the host of this year's British Open, is consulting members on whether its male-only membership policy should end.
- 16-year-old debutant scores with 1st touch for Celtic Updated: May-15-16 9:59 am
GLASGOW, Scotland - A 16-year-old player marked his debut for Celtic by scoring with his first touch, wrapping up a 7-0 win over Motherwell that helped the champions win the Scottish Premiership by a 15-point margin.
- Scottish-born jazz baritone saxophonist Joe Temperley dies Updated: May-13-16 5:16 pm
NEW YORK - Scottish-born baritone saxophonist Joe Temperley, a former member of the Duke Ellington Orchestra and a founding member of Wynton Marsalis' Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, has died at age 86.
- Labour's Sadiq Khan elected 1st Muslim London mayor Updated: May-06-16 7:55 pm
LONDON - Sadiq Khan became London's first Muslim mayor Saturday, as voters rejected attempts to taint him with links to extremism and handed a decisive victory to the bus driver's son from south London.
- Scotland's independence party scores well but no majority Updated: May-06-16 11:43 am
GLASGOW, Scotland - The independence-minded Scottish National Party won a third consecutive term in government Friday but failed to secure an overall majority in the Scottish Parliament.
- The Latest: Scottish National Party plans minority gov't Updated: May-06-16 9:56 am
LONDON - The Latest on elections across Britain (all times local):
- Nationalized Royal Bank of Scotland sees loss widen Updated: Apr-29-16 5:39 am
LONDON - Royal Bank of Scotland says its net loss widened in the first quarter as the taxpayer-owned bank made its final 1.2 billion-pound ($1.7 billion) payment to the U.K. Treasury as part of a deal to give the government first crack at any profits.