- Tale of harrowing rescue on Denali unheralded for 35 years Updated: May-23-16 11:35 am
EVERETT, Washington - In the spring of 1980, climbers Mike Helms and Bob Kandiko came upon two other climbers in peril near the summit of Alaska's 20,310-foot Denali. Over the next several days, and in very difficult conditions, Helms and Kandiko helped the other two men down the mountain, saving at least one life and perhaps two.
- Alaskans participate in yearly suicide-prevention walk Updated: May-21-16 4:58 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaskans participated in a yearly community walk in the state's largest city to raise awareness about suicide and remember loved ones who took their own lives.
- The Latest: Alaskans walk in yearly suicide-prevention walk Updated: May-21-16 3:19 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Latest on Suicide Prevention Walk (all times local):
- Officials: Magnitude 4.6 earthquake shakes central Alaska Updated: May-21-16 9:21 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Officials say a small earthquake has rattled central Alaska.
- Observatory lowers threat level for Alaska volcano Updated: May-20-16 4:35 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Alaska Volcano Observatory has lowered the threat level for a remote volcano near the Aleutian Islands.
- Search to resume for Texas man missing at Alaska lake Updated: May-20-16 2:20 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A search was to resume Friday for an Air Force airman from Texas man missing on a kayaking trip at an Alaska lake.
- Hooper Bay students help dig grave for school worker's son Updated: May-20-16 9:51 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Months after a school secretary in the western Alaska village of Hooper Bay lost her son to an accidental death, she says she finally has some closure thanks to a group of students who helped dig his grave.
- Anchorage police arrest woman after standoff at home Updated: May-19-16 12:02 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A 46-year-old Anchorage woman was arrested Thursday on suspicion of felony domestic violence assault after a standoff at a home that lasted more than five hours.
- Police investigate shooting at busy Anchorage gas station Updated: May-19-16 11:42 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Anchorage police are investigating a shooting that left a man with an ankle wound at a busy gas station.
- Anchorage police arrest man after 6-hour standoff in car Updated: May-18-16 11:46 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A 31-year-old man with a felony conviction was arrested Tuesday night after a six-hour standoff with Anchorage police.
- Dash cam catches dramatic rescue of man from burning SUV Updated: May-18-16 5:57 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A dash cam camera in an Anchorage police cruiser caught dramatic video of an officer and four citizens rescuing a man whose arm was trapped under a burning sport utility vehicle.
- Drone ordered to leave area of Anchorage wildfire Updated: May-17-16 9:05 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Anchorage officials say firefighting efforts to combat a wildfire that threatened homes in the Campbell Creek area were almost halted when crews spotted a drone hovering over the area.
- Congress OKs bill allowing for land sale offer to Anchorage Updated: May-16-16 6:46 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Congress has passed legislation allowing for the sale of about nine acres of federally held property in Anchorage to the city.
- Police officer, citizens free driver from burning vehicle Updated: May-16-16 11:41 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - An Anchorage police officer and three citizens freed a man trapped in a sport utility vehicle that crashed and burned Sunday.
- Fairbanks breaks 101-year-old high temperature record Updated: May-16-16 8:40 am
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - The city of Fairbanks set new record high temperatures over the weekend, including one set more than 100 years ago.
- State education chief hopes to lead Minneapolis schools Updated: May-15-16 4:01 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Minneapolis School Board will interview two finalists Tuesday in the protracted hunt for the district's next superintendent. The hopefuls include Minnesota's education commissioner and a superintendent of schools from Alaska.
- Policing the bird highway Updated: May-14-16 8:18 am
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - On a nice, sunny day in the 1960s, air taxi pilot Dick Hamlin picked up two women and their babies to take them to a logging camp on Kasaan Bay. As the air taxi approached Grindall Island, Hamlin noticed an eagle in the air, watching the plane.
- Low-level tremors may signal Alaska volcano eruption Updated: May-13-16 6:09 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A remote Alaska Volcano that erupted in March is again showing signs of life.
- Carney named to replace Fabe on Alaska Supreme Court Updated: May-12-16 7:28 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The law degree was impressive, but it was what Susan Carney did with it that helped get her a seat on the Alaska Supreme Court.
- The Latest: Attorney's work ethic, degree impressed Walker Updated: May-12-16 6:28 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Latest on the selection of Susan Carney as the new justice on the Alaska Supreme Court (all times local):
- Treasury Secretary Lew plans Anchorage visit before Japan Updated: May-12-16 1:43 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew will stop in Anchorage ahead of a trip to Japan next week.
- State could face $28M suit over Anchorage legislative office Updated: May-12-16 5:51 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The state has been threatened with a lawsuit by a bank handling a $28.6 million loan to finance renovations of a legislative office building in Anchorage. Lawyers for the bank say the state must honor its lease agreement for the building, despite a judge's ruling that found the lease invalid.
- Alaska bear mauling victim released from hospital Updated: May-11-16 9:03 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - An assistant university professor injured in a bear mauling in southeast Alaska last month has been released from the hospital.
- Alaska performer charged with sexual abuse of a minor Updated: May-11-16 8:25 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - An Alaska performer has been charged with sexual abuse of a minor.
- Woman's body found in south Anchorage; police seek witnesses Updated: May-10-16 6:23 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - An autopsy has been ordered in the death of a woman found Saturday morning in south Anchorage.