- Hammel walks 5 in Cubs' 4-1 loss to Dodgers in series opener Updated: Aug-29-15 2:09 am
LOS ANGELES - Jason Hammel eagerly anticipated matching up against Clayton Kershaw. The Cubs' right-hander was holding his own through the first five innings while the Dodgers' ace was rolling through Chicago's lineup.
- Kershaw strikes out 14 in Dodgers' 4-1 win over Cubs Updated: Aug-29-15 1:41 am
LOS ANGELES - There's no personal statistic that impresses Clayton Kershaw much, including leading the major leagues with 236 strikeouts.
- Angels drop 3-1 decision to Indians Updated: Aug-28-15 11:44 pm
CLEVELAND - Andrew Heaney did his job. The same couldn't be said about the Los Angeles Angels' bullpen or their hitters.
- Bauer, Kipnis lead Indians to 3-1 win over Angels Updated: Aug-28-15 9:56 pm
- After restful summer, Federer in the swing heading into Open Updated: Aug-28-15 8:51 pm
CINCINNATI - Roger Federer isn't in such a rush anymore. He's doing things his way and taking time to savor each moment.
- Indians manager Francona says he won't use opt-out clause Updated: Aug-28-15 6:56 pm
CLEVELAND - Indians manager Terry Francona says he won't use an out clause in his contract if Cleveland President Mark Shapiro takes a job elsewhere.
- Ohio State University trustees approve $4.4 billion budget Updated: Aug-28-15 6:28 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State University trustees have approved a $5.5 billion annual budget and authorized new construction projects that include a new student-athlete development center and multi-sport arena.
- Indians RHP Danny Salazar scratched from start vs Angels Updated: Aug-28-15 5:52 pm
CLEVELAND - Indians pitcher Danny Salazar was scratched from his scheduled start Friday night against the Los Angeles Angels because of a virus.
- Ex-deputy treasurer who fled to Pakistan heads to US prison Updated: Aug-28-15 5:31 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A former Ohio deputy treasurer who fled to Pakistan in the face of a 15-year prison sentence for a kickback scheme delivered a public apology before a federal judge on Friday and was sent to begin his time in U.S. prison.
- Ohio football team gets live tiger mascot for season opener Updated: Aug-28-15 4:53 pm
MASSILLON, Ohio - A high school football team that has had a live tiger cub at games for decades started the season with its traditional mascot on hand, even though the district hasn't proved to the state that the mascot's display would meet stricter rules for possessing exotic animals.
- Ohio court weighing issue of police body-camera videos Updated: Aug-28-15 4:52 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A prosecutor is asking the Ohio Supreme Court to throw out a lawsuit that originally sought video from a University of Cincinnati police officer's fatal shooting of a motorist during a traffic stop.
- Ohio man found guilty in slayings of father, his 2 children Updated: Aug-28-15 4:44 pm
AKRON, Ohio - An Ohio jury has convicted a man of aggravated murder and other charges in the fatal shooting of a father and his two teenage children during a home invasion robbery on Dec. 31, 2013.
- Board OKs 1st Ohio standards for police use of deadly force Updated: Aug-28-15 3:43 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Use of deadly force by police officers would be limited to defending themselves or others from serious injury or death under Ohio's first statewide standards adopted Friday and sent to hundreds of law enforcement agencies.
- Man gets life sentence in slaying of elderly Ohio couple Updated: Aug-28-15 3:38 pm
CLEVELAND - An Ohio man avoided the death penalty on Friday when he pleaded guilty to aggravated murder charges and was sentenced to life in prison without parole for robbing and killing an elderly couple then burning their bodies.
- Big Lots 2Q results top Street, lifts full-year guidance Updated: Aug-28-15 1:28 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Big Lots' fiscal second-quarter results beat analysts' estimates and the discount retailer boosted its full-year earnings outlook.
- Maryland schools superintendent resigns to lead nonprofit Updated: Aug-28-15 12:20 pm
BALTIMORE - Maryland's schools superintendent is resigning to take a post leading an Ohio education nonprofit.
- Daughter of slain officer gets police escort to kindergarten Updated: Aug-28-15 12:04 pm
AKRON, Ohio - The daughter of a slain Ohio officer has received a police escort to school on her first day of kindergarten.
- Ohio logs better-than-average childhood vaccination rates Updated: Aug-28-15 11:50 am
CLEVELAND - The percentage of children receiving the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine on time has increased in Ohio, and a state official said a measles outbreak might have helped raise awareness.
- Pick 6: Heisman hopefuls short on preseason hype Updated: Aug-28-15 11:12 am
Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota broke a Heisman Trophy trend last season by winning the award after being considered the preseason favorite.
- Ohio police investigate body found in burned car Updated: Aug-28-15 9:53 am
DAYTON, Ohio - Police in southwest Ohio say a body was found in a burned car and they're investigating the cause of death.
- State says Ohio oil, natural gas production at historic high Updated: Aug-28-15 7:19 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The state Department of Natural Resources says historic amounts of oil and natural gas are being produced by Ohio shale wells.
- Court: Mom can't see records of child's abuse investigation Updated: Aug-28-15 3:49 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Supreme Court has blocked a mother's efforts to inspect children's services agency records regarding an abuse investigation focusing on her daughter.
- Ex-manager at Ohio housing agency gets 16 months in prison Updated: Aug-28-15 3:37 am
CLEVELAND - A former program manager at a Cleveland-area housing agency has been sentenced to 16 months in prison for stealing $232,000 from the federally funded organization.
- Ohio man won't serve prison time for helping dump body Updated: Aug-28-15 3:22 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A man has been resentenced to probation after an appeals court in central Ohio overturned the prison term he was given after helping dump the body of a woman in a ditch after she died of a heroin overdose.
- Maness gets key outs in 8th as Cardinals beat D-backs 5-3 Updated: Aug-28-15 2:26 am
PHOENIX - Seth Maness came into the game in a tight spot and got some big outs for St. Louis Cardinals.