- World Baseball Classic qualifying: Aussies 4, South Africa 1 Updated: Feb-12-16 6:56 am
SYDNEY - Australia scored three first-inning runs on five hits - including four consecutive hits to start the game - and defeated South Africa 4-1 on Friday to advance to the final of the World Baseball Classic qualifying tournament.
- Brisbane lead by 1 in A-League after drawing with Newcastle Updated: Feb-12-16 6:30 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Brisbane moved a point clear into first place in the A-League after veteran defender Jade North's second-half goal allowed the Roar to draw with the Newcastle Jets 2-2 on Friday.
- Drug smuggling charge dropped against 92-year-old Sydney man Updated: Feb-11-16 9:27 pm
SYDNEY - Prosecutors dropped a charge against a 92-year-old retired surgeon on Friday that alleged he had smuggled 1 million Australian dollars ($700,000) in cocaine hidden on bars of soap into Sydney airport.
- Western Sydney fined, points suspended over fan misbehavior Updated: Feb-10-16 9:25 pm
SYDNEY - Football Federation Australia has fined Western Sydney Wanderers 50,000 Australian dollars ($35,600) and imposed a suspended competition point deduction following the misbehavior of fans who lit flares during last weekend's A-League match at Melbourne Victory.
- Retired Olympian wanted for security fraud in Utah County Updated: Feb-08-16 1:09 pm
PROVO, Utah - The Utah County Sheriff's Office is actively seeking a retired Olympian on investigation of security fraud.
- Born an Aussie, raised a Brit. Konta's a star in Melbourne Updated: Jan-23-16 3:40 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Johanna Konta became the first British woman in 29 years to reach the fourth round at the Australian Open on Saturday, giving rise to "a lot of Australia questions" at Melbourne Park.
- Luis Garcia to make A-League debut off bench Updated: Jan-22-16 1:37 am
SYDNEY - Former Liverpool player Luis Garcia is likely to start from the bench when he makes his A-League debut on Saturday for the Central Coast Mariners against the Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Australian authorities seize drugs shipped from China Updated: Jan-21-16 9:46 pm
SYDNEY - Australian authorities said Friday they had seized large quantities of methamphetamine and ephedrine hidden in bar stools and soup mix packets shipped from China to Sydney.
- Australia to play Jordan WCup qualifier in Sydney Updated: Jan-19-16 9:00 pm
SYDNEY, Australia - Football Federation Australia has decided Australia's vital World Cup qualifying match against Jordan in March will be played in Sydney.
- Resurgent Venus stopped in 1st round at Australian Open Updated: Jan-19-16 3:54 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - When Johanna Konta found out she was playing Venus Williams in the first round of the Australian Open, she thought to herself, "I just hope I stay out there more than an hour."
- Police shoot man dead at Sydney police station Updated: Jan-18-16 9:31 pm
SYDNEY - Police shot dead a man armed with a knife in a Sydney police station on Tuesday, an official said.
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra announces world tour Updated: Jan-18-16 7:21 am
NEW YORK - Wynton Marsalis is taking the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra on its longest tour in nearly 15 years, covering 15 cities in 10 countries over 40 days.
- Troicki wins Sydney International title over Dimitrov Updated: Jan-16-16 6:50 am
SYDNEY - Defending champion Viktor Troicki's backhand cross-court winner on match point gave the Serbian player a 2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7) victory over Grigor Dimitrov in the Sydney International final on Saturday.
- Sock beats Ferrer to reach Auckland final Updated: Jan-15-16 5:39 am
SYDNEY - Jack Sock ended David Ferrer's hopes of a fifth singles title in Auckland when he beat the top-seeded Spaniard 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 in the ASB Classic semifinals on Friday.