- Australia to sell bitcoins confiscated as proceeds of crime Updated: May-30-16 10:20 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - About $13 million in bitcoins will be auctioned in Sydney in June after Australian police confiscated the digital currency as proceeds of crime, an official said Tuesday.
- Image of Asia: Lighting up 'Sydney's Hidden Stories' Updated: May-26-16 6:50 am
In this photo by Rob Griffith, Customs House is lit up with colorful creatures in a light display called "Sydney's Hidden Stories" at Circular Quay in Sydney, Australia. It's part of the annual Vivid Sydney Light Walk festival of light installations, projections and interactive displays. More than 60 such displays will light up the Sydney waterfront through June 18.
- Shandong into Asian Champions League last 8 after 2-2 draw Updated: May-25-16 5:03 pm
SYDNEY - A long-range strike in the 90th minute from substitute Hao Junmin gave Shandong Luneng a 2-2 draw with Sydney FC, putting the Chinese side into the Asian Champions League quarterfinals on away goals.
- Dubai to open 2016-17 IRB Sevens season in December Updated: May-25-16 1:45 am
SYDNEY - Fiji will begin defense of its IRB world sevens title on Dec. 2-3 when the opening tournament of the 10-round, 2016-17 season is held at Dubai, followed a week later at Cape Town.
- Police: Hostages in deadly Sydney siege appeared 'jovial' Updated: May-23-16 10:00 am
SYDNEY - A police official described a group of people being held hostage by a gunman inside a Sydney cafe during a 16-hour ordeal as "jovial," a police commander told an inquest into the deadly siege on Monday.
- Australian leader's poll numbers sag 2 weeks into campaign Updated: May-23-16 1:34 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's popularity dipped slightly in a poll published Monday two weeks into what appears to be a tight campaign ahead of July 2 general elections.
- Twice golden, Diamond doubtful for Olympics amid charges Updated: May-22-16 11:59 pm
SYDNEY - Two-time shooting gold medalist Michael Diamond is doubtful for his seventh Olympics after being charged with driving and firearms offenses on the weekend.
- FBI said Sydney gunman prone to violence years before siege Updated: May-18-16 10:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Five years before he held 18 people hostage inside a Sydney cafe, Iranian-born Man Haron Monis attracted the attention of the FBI as someone who had "the potential to incite others to violence," according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.
- Australian Olympic chief says drug cheats can never rest Updated: May-18-16 5:17 am
SYDNEY - IOC vice president John Coates says the most recent positive doping results of backdated tests from athletes competing at the 2008 Beijing Olympics proves "if we don't get you at the Games, we will get you later."
- Asian stocks up despite disappointing China factory data Updated: May-15-16 11:53 pm
BEIJING - Asian stock markets rose Monday despite disappointing Chinese factory data and last week's Wall Street decline.
- Ex-rugby League star Hayne leaves NFL, aims for Olympics Updated: May-15-16 11:03 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Australian rugby league star Jarryd Hayne's NFL experiment is over, as he announced his retirement Sunday from the San Francisco 49ers in order to push for selection in the Fiji Rugby Sevens team for the Rio Olympics.
- Reg Grundy, producer behind popular 'Neighbours,' dies at 92 Updated: May-09-16 7:11 am
SYDNEY - Australian television mogul Reginald "Reg" Grundy, who helped create the wildly popular Aussie soap opera "Neighbours," has died, friends and colleagues said Monday. He was 92.
- Once unthinkable in US, drug shoot-up rooms get serious look Updated: May-08-16 9:46 pm
Across the United States, heroin users have died in alleys behind convenience stores, on city sidewalks and in the bathrooms of fast-food joints - because no one was around to save them when they overdosed.
- Lice in Florida schools is a touchy subject Updated: May-08-16 3:01 am
MELBOURNE, Florida - Jessica Holloman had no clue what awaited her when she spied lice crawling on her daughter's scalp last year.
- Australian leader Turnbull seeks to gain mandate in vote Updated: May-08-16 1:20 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Malcolm Turnbull is Australia's fifth prime minister in as many years, and after eight months in the top job, declining approval ratings suggest he has proved a disappointment to many voters.
- Australian prime minister makes July 2 election official Updated: May-08-16 12:46 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian prime minister says the governor-general has agreed to a July 2 election.
- Student accused of owing $2.4M after bank error in Australia Updated: May-06-16 10:02 am
SYDNEY - A Malaysian student has been charged in a Sydney court with dishonesty offenses after a bank accidentally gave her a 4.6 million Australian dollar ($3.4 million) overdraft four years ago.