- Gunman fires into crowd at concert in Austria, killing 2 Updated: May-22-16 10:24 am
VIENNA - A gunman fired shots early Sunday into a small crowd attending an open air concert organized by a local motorcycle club, killing two people and wounding 11 others before shooting himself to death, police said.
- Correction: Armenia-Azerbaijan story Updated: May-18-16 3:01 pm
VIENNA - In a story May 17 about the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the Nagorno-Karabakh region, The Associated Press incorrectly reported the size of Nagorno-Karabakh. The region is 4,400 square kilometers (1,700 square miles), not 12,000 square kilometers (4,400 square miles).
- Modest goals set in bid to save Syria truce, peace talks Updated: May-17-16 11:33 am
VIENNA - Seeking to salvage and reinforce a shaky truce, world and regional powers agreed Tuesday to try to turn the faltering pause in fighting into a comprehensive cease-fire and boost humanitarian aid deliveries with the hope of restarting peace talks.
- Kerry in Saudi Arabia for talks on Syria, Libya, Yemen Updated: May-15-16 9:20 am
JEDDAH, Saudi Arabia - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday held talks with Saudi Arabia's King Salman about the conflicts in Syria, Libya and Yemen, ahead of international meetings this coming week in Europe on those crises.
- Austria squad contains no new names, 15 Bundesliga players Updated: May-12-16 6:39 am
VIENNA - Austria coach Marcel Koller announced no new names Thursday in his preliminary 24-man squad for next month's European Championship.
- Greek ambassador back in Austria after spat over migrants Updated: May-11-16 11:37 am
VIENNA - The Greek ambassador returned to Austria on Wednesday, formally ending strains that began after the shut-down of the migrant route to central Europe left tens of thousands of people stranded in Greece.
- US says diplomats to resume talks on Syria next week Updated: May-10-16 1:20 pm
LONDON - The world powers working to promote a resolution to Syria's civil war plan to resume talks next week in Vienna, with U.N.-led, indirect peace negotiations between Syria's government and opposition representatives expected to follow some days later, Secretary of State John Kerry said Tuesday.
- Opera: offstage drama rivets Romania, costs minister his job Updated: May-05-16 7:29 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A compelling drama at Romania's national opera has been drawing huge audiences for weeks. But it's not a production of "The Marriage of Figaro" or "The Barber of Seville" that's grabbing the limelight, it's an offstage dispute between two international ballet stars and Romanian musicians that has already cost a government minister his job.
- The fireman's pole is history - at least in Vienna Updated: May-04-16 8:50 am
VIENNA - The fireman's pole is history - at least in Vienna.