- FBI, Newport News Police plan outreach event Updated: Aug-04-15 3:02 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - The Federal Bureau of Investigation in Norfolk has announced a community outreach event aimed at promoting cultural awareness and mutual respect.
- Virginia's combined sales tax holiday to begin Friday Updated: Aug-03-15 2:04 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Virginians will get a three-day break on sales taxes on a variety of items, beginning Friday.
- USS Monitor gun turret from Civil War on display at museum Updated: Aug-01-15 9:52 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - The ruddied brown of centuries-old iron serves as a constant source of excitement at the Mariners' Museum: a peek into history for casual visitors, an endless resource for Civil War buffs and a revolution in naval warfare that sits not half an hour away from Norfolk Naval Station.
- Attorney: Police shot man in head; family to file lawsuit Updated: Jul-30-15 5:17 pm
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - The attorney for the family of a 23-year-old man killed by police in Virginia said Thursday that the medical examiner's report indicates he was shot in the back of the head.
- Uber, Lyft vehicles outnumber taxis on Virginia Peninsula Updated: Jul-27-15 4:58 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - The number of registered drivers for such services as Uber and Lyft on the Virginia Peninsula is greater than the number of taxis in the area.
- Newport News Shipbuilding likely to cut 1,500 workers Updated: Jul-24-15 5:38 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Newport News Shipbuilding has told employees that it will likely layoff more than 1,500 employees beginning this fall.
- Va. utility to launch drones to inspect transmission lines Updated: Jul-23-15 2:19 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Dominion Virginia Power is taking to the skies with unmanned aircraft to check on transmission lines.
- Newport News Shipbuilding awarded submarine contract Updated: Jul-18-15 10:21 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Newport News Shipbuilding has been awarded a $106 million contract by the Navy for work on submarine programs.
- Homeless man arrested for Newport News bomb threats Updated: Jul-17-15 10:42 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Police have arrested a homeless man for making bomb threats to three courthouses in Newport News.
- Misspelled author's name to be fixed in Va. city street sign Updated: Jul-16-15 3:05 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - The city of Newport News is correcting a 13-year-old error on a street sign - the misspelling of Flannery O'Connor's name.
- Officer who killed Va. man involved in previous shooting Updated: Jul-15-15 4:06 pm
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - The officer who shot and killed a 23-year-old man who was carrying a sawed-off shotgun was also involved in a previous shooting, Newport News Police Chief Richard W. Myers said Wednesday.
- Newport News Shipbuilding plans unspecified cuts Updated: Jul-12-15 2:08 pm
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Newport News Shipbuilding has told workers to expect cost-cutting measures due to a drop in workload.
- Army to cut more than 400 from Va. bases Updated: Jul-09-15 5:04 pm
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - The Army plans to eliminate more than 400 soldiers from three bases in Virginia.
- Va. commission makes recommendations to bolster military Updated: Jul-07-15 6:59 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - A state commission released a report Tuesday detailing how Virginia officials can help grow the military's presence in the state.
- Police: Suspect killed by Virginia police had stolen shotgun Updated: Jul-06-15 6:38 pm
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Authorities say the sawed-off shotgun a 23-year-old man possessed when he was fatally shot by police in Virginia was reported stolen.