- Thomas scores 27 points, UMass Lowell beats Vermont 100-93 Updated: Feb-08-16 9:13 pm
LOWELL, Massachusetts - Jahad Thomas scored 27 points with nine rebounds and UMass Lowell beat Vermont 100-93 on Monday night.
- Vermont attorney general drops probe of environmentalist Updated: Feb-08-16 5:26 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The state attorney general's office has dropped its criminal investigation into whether an environmental activist operated as a lawyer without a law license in her advocacy for critics of large-scale wind and solar power projects before state regulators.
- Driver dies in Interstate 91 crash, car flips over Updated: Feb-08-16 2:10 pm
COVENTRY, Vermont - Vermont State Police say a driver has died after she lost control of her car on northbound Interstate 91 in Coventry and it flipped over.
- Big New England electrical transmission project gets boost Updated: Feb-08-16 11:40 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A proposal to lay a 1,000-megawatt power line from the Canadian border down Lake Champlain and then across Vermont to Ludlow is taking another big step forward.
- Correction: Vermont Lawmaker-Sex Charges story Updated: Feb-08-16 10:34 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - In a story Feb. 5 about the upcoming sex-assault trial of suspended Vermont state Sen. Norman McAllister, The Associated Press reported erroneously on who had given rides home to one of the alleged victims. Defense attorney Brooks McArthur said one of the potential witnesses had given the rides, not that McArthur had done so.
- Groups call on Vermont officials to re-evaluate gas pipeline Updated: Feb-08-16 6:53 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Environmental advocacy groups are calling on officials to take a new look at a proposed natural gas pipeline throughout western Vermont.
- 4 Vermont judges face retention votes Updated: Feb-08-16 4:00 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A special legislative committee will take public testimony this week on whether four Vermont judges should be given new terms.
- Lake Champlain fish to be tested for pollution toxins Updated: Feb-07-16 10:50 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - The Lake Champlain Basin Program plans to start monitoring fish in the lake for mercury and toxins produced by cyanobacteria - commonly known as blue-green algae.
- Return of Purple Heart from WWII turns up missing family Updated: Feb-07-16 9:32 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A Purple Heart awarded to a soldier from New Hampshire killed in World War II's Battle of the Bulge that turned up recently after a woman's death has brought together two branches of a family that never knew of the other's existence.
- Massachusetts plan could spur hydro imports to New England Updated: Feb-07-16 9:08 am
BOSTON - Tapping into Canadian hydropower is hardly a new concept in energy-starved New England. But Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker's proposal to authorize long-term contracts between utilities and hydropower producers is being viewed in some quarters as a potential game-changer for the region.
- GOP gubernatorial candidates to face off in forum Updated: Feb-07-16 8:36 am
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vermont - The Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce is planning to hear from the two declared Republican candidates for governor of Vermont on the future of the state's economy.
- Vermont business launch competition expands to colleges Updated: Feb-07-16 8:31 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - The Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce is holding its fourth annual LaunchVT competition for business startups. And this year, it's expanding to include a collegiate division.
- Museum puts on free planetarium event for supporting towns Updated: Feb-07-16 8:29 am
ST. JOHNSURY, Vermont - The Fairbanks Museum in St. Johnsbury is offering a free planetarium presentation next weekend to residents of the more than a dozen communities that support it.
- Albany uses big 2nd half to hold off Vermont 75-71 Updated: Feb-06-16 9:22 pm
ALBANY, New York - Evan Singletary scored 20 points - all after halftime - and Albany used a big second half to rally past Vermont 75-71 Saturday for the annual Big Purple Growl.
- Leicester beats City 3-1, Torres nets 100th Atletico goal Updated: Feb-06-16 7:36 pm
Leicester firmly underlined its Premier League title credentials with a 3-1 win at Manchester City on Saturday, while Atletico Madrid moved provisionally level on points with Barcelona at the top of the Spanish league by beating Eibar 3-1.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Branded for Bernie: Dozens get inked with free Sanders tat Updated: Feb-06-16 10:38 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Fans of Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders are wearing their support for him on their sleeves - and on their rib cages, calves, necks and backs.
- Leicester stuns Man City 3-1 to go 6 points clear at top Updated: Feb-06-16 10:14 am
MANCHESTER, England - Leicester stunned Manchester City 3-1 on Saturday to bolster its bid to become the unlikeliest champions in English football history.
- Vermont restricting domestic abusers' access to guns Updated: Feb-06-16 9:38 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The need to protect potential victims in domestic violence cases helped lead the Vermont Legislature, which traditionally has been reluctant to restrict gun ownership, to take first steps toward making it harder for people with violent histories to get firearms.
- Hearing planned on lengthening hours of youth turkey hunt Updated: Feb-06-16 8:48 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont Fish and Wildlife Board will take public testimony on a proposal to extend the shooting hours for turkey hunting during the spring youth turkey hunt.
- Bennington Museum offers free admission Saturday Updated: Feb-06-16 8:42 am
BENNINGTON, Vermont - The Bennington Museum is offering free admission on its community day.
- Attorney for environmental advocate demands halt to probe Updated: Feb-05-16 10:25 pm
MONTEPLIER, Vermont - An attorney for a longtime critic of the way sites for large-scale renewable energy projects are picked in Vermont is demanding the state attorney general's office halt an investigation into whether she's been operating as a lawyer without a license.
- Police: Another threat leads to lockdown of state office Updated: Feb-05-16 5:18 pm
NEWPORT, Vermont - An unidentified caller made a threat to the Department of Children and Families office in Newport on Friday, prompting the office building to be locked down for several hours before police gave the all clear, police said.
- Vermont to get little to no snow in storm Updated: Feb-05-16 12:45 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - With little to no snow in Vermont, some are lamenting that the storm is hitting southern New England, not the Green Mountain state.
- Police: Woman in custody after car chase in Burlington Updated: Feb-05-16 11:19 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Authorities say they took a woman into custody in a stolen vehicle after a series of hit-and-run crashes and a car chase in Burlington.