- Kansas City woman leaves $2M to Jesuits Updated: Feb-13-16 12:19 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Kansas City woman who grew up on a farm, worked as a teacher and lived on a pension left $2 million to a Catholic order when she died at age 100.
- Alabama among many states moving to block local wage laws Updated: Feb-13-16 10:27 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Proposed legislation to block Alabama cities from establishing local minimum wages could derail plans for an hourly minimum of $10.10 in the state's largest city and follows a pattern of state legislatures considering measures to override the efforts of local governments.
- Kansas City proposes $10M plan to demolish empty buildings Updated: Feb-12-16 5:39 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Kansas City has created a plan in the city budget to tear down about 800 vacant houses and buildings in struggling neighborhoods in the next two years.
- Judge: Kansas City convention hotel shouldn't go to voters Updated: Feb-12-16 11:13 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A judge has denied a public vote on a proposed convention hotel in downtown Kansas City.
- Moustakas, Royals agree to $14.3 million, 2-year contract Updated: Feb-11-16 10:19 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Royals and third baseman Mike Moustakas agreed Thursday to a $14.3 million, two-year contract that not only avoids arbitration this year but also buys out his final year.
- Nixon, Kinder commend Ferguson's efforts at police reform Updated: Feb-11-16 7:15 pm
ST. LOUIS - Missouri's top two elected officials credited Ferguson on Thursday with pressing ahead with policing and court reforms despite a U.S. Department of Justice lawsuit alleging that the St. Louis suburb routinely violated residents' rights and misused law enforcement to generate revenue.
- Kansas Supreme Court invalidates school funding law Updated: Feb-11-16 6:57 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court threatened Thursday to shut down schools if lawmakers don't revamp the way the state funds public schools by July, ruling that a law enacted last year as a temporary fix underfunded poor school districts by at least $54 million.
- Kansas City gang member sentenced to 30 years for drugs, gun Updated: Feb-11-16 5:37 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A 35-year-old Crips street gang member has been sentenced to 30 years in federal prison for illegally possessing a controlled substance and firearms, but prosecutors say evidence indicates he's also responsible for killing five people.
- Missouri trooper's dashcam video shows burning car rescue Updated: Feb-11-16 12:29 pm
BELTON, Missouri - A Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper is winning praise after rescuing a driver from a burning car south of Kansas City.
- 2 brothers ordered to stand trial in Kansas rapper's death Updated: Feb-11-16 8:05 am
OVERLAND PARK, Kansas - Two Kansas City brothers have been ordered to stand trial in the death of an aspiring rapper from suburban Olathe.
- Pro racecar driver Scott Tucker charged in payday loan scam Updated: Feb-10-16 3:28 pm
NEW YORK - Professional racecar driver Scott Tucker was arrested Wednesday on criminal charges accusing him of living the high life on the backs of millions of desperate people who used his payday lending operation to get quick cash over the Internet.
- Fire officials: Woman dies after Raytown apartment fire Updated: Feb-10-16 2:02 am
RAYTOWN, Missouri - A woman has died of her injuries from an early morning fire in a Kansas City apartment that killed her 4-year-old grandson.
- Murder charge filed in shooting death of 60-year-old jogger Updated: Feb-09-16 4:23 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A Kansas City man has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a 60-year-old man who was fatally shot in 2012 while out for a morning jog.
- William Jewell names Nebraska educator as new president Updated: Feb-09-16 7:32 am
LIBERTY, Missouri - William Jewell College in suburban Kansas City has picked a Nebraska educator as its newest president.
- With only 29 students, Catholic school in Missouri hangs on Updated: Feb-08-16 1:20 pm
MONTROSE, Missouri - The bell tower of the old Catholic church rises above all else in this tabletop-flat town.
- Independence police officer shoots, kills man after chase Updated: Feb-08-16 7:59 am
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Authorities have identified a man who was shot and killed by Independence police after a chase.
- Kansas City man charged in fatal shooting Updated: Feb-08-16 7:30 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A 29-year-old man accused in the January shooting death of another man in Kansas City has been charged with murder.
- MVP Newton, Watt, Rivera, Berry big winners of NFL awards Updated: Feb-07-16 2:22 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Cam Newton is now a Super Bowl quarterback with an MVP award.
- Seattle beats UMKC 65-55 behind Powell's 17 Updated: Feb-07-16 12:44 am
SEATTLE - William Powell scored 17 points, grabbed 12 rebounds and made six assists as Seattle beat the University of Missouri-Kansas City 65-55 on Saturday night to win its fifth straight.
- Kansas won't join effort to tighten domestic abuse gun laws Updated: Feb-06-16 1:08 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Kansas appears unlikely to join more than two dozen states that have passed laws in the last two years making it more difficult for domestic abusers to possess weapons, a state representative who introduced a similar law during the 2015 legislative session said.
- 2 men convicted of trying to kill deputy during robbery Updated: Feb-06-16 1:04 pm
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - A jury has convicted two Kansas men of attempted murder and other charges for allegedly shooting a deputy sheriff several times while robbing a convenience store last March.
- 11 defendants indicted in $1.2 million oxycodone conspiracy Updated: Feb-05-16 8:06 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Federal prosecutors in Kansas City say 11 defendants have been indicted by a federal grand jury in a $1.2 million conspiracy to distribute Oxycodone.
- Independence police officer shoots, kills man after chase Updated: Feb-05-16 7:04 am
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Independence police say a police officer fatally shot a man after a chase.
- Kansas City applies for federal transportation grant Updated: Feb-05-16 6:34 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Kansas City has applied for a federal grant to help mid-sized cities test transportation innovations.
- DNA links Missouri inmate to Kansas City woman's 1986 rape Updated: Feb-05-16 5:01 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A Missouri man serving time for rape, kidnapping and other violent crimes has been charged in connection with the July 1986 rape of a Kansas City woman.