- Alabama among many states moving to block local wage laws Updated: Feb-13-16 10:27 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Proposed legislation to block Alabama cities from establishing local minimum wages could derail plans for an hourly minimum of $10.10 in the state's largest city and follows a pattern of state legislatures considering measures to override the efforts of local governments.
- Allegiant Air flight makes emergency landing in Alabama Updated: Feb-12-16 4:41 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Allegiant Air officials say a flight heading from Florida to Nebraska made an emergency landing in Alabama because of an electrical odor in the cabin.
- Alabama judge nominated to 11th Circuit Court of Appeals Updated: Feb-12-16 5:55 am
ATLANTA - President Barack Obama has nominated an Alabama judge to fill a vacancy left in the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
- UAB downs Southern Miss 80-77 in 2OT Updated: Feb-11-16 10:31 pm
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Chris Cokley scored 17 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lead Alabama-Birmingham past Southern Miss 80-77 in double overtime on Thursday night for its fourth straight win.
- Committee approves bill to block city minimum wage increase Updated: Feb-11-16 6:34 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A bill to prohibit Alabama cities from raising the minimum wage - and roll back Birmingham's planned increased to $10.10-per-hour- advanced out of legislative committee on Thursday.
- UAB to improve access after disabilities act complaint Updated: Feb-11-16 5:27 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The University of Alabama at Birmingham has reached a settlement to ensure equal access for people with disabilities to the university's facilities.
- Alabama gunman kills two, including former business partner Updated: Feb-10-16 9:27 pm
HAMILTON, Alabama - A gunman fatally shot two people, one a former business partner, at a law firm and a nearby accountant's office in western Alabama on Wednesday morning, authorities said.
- Police officer accused of handcuffing, throwing girlfriend Updated: Feb-10-16 4:50 am
TRUSSVILLE, Alabama - A Birmingham police officer has been accused of handcuffing his girlfriend, holding her against her will and throwing her into walls and down the stairs.
- Bill would stop removal of Confederate, historic markers Updated: Feb-09-16 7:41 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Confederate monuments first erected after the Civil War to honor Southern soldiers have increasingly been targeted by civil rights activists who say they are offensive to blacks and should be taken down. An Alabama legislator wants to make sure that doesn't happen without state lawmakers' approval.
- Police: Unruly passenger shot during fight with cab driver Updated: Feb-09-16 6:24 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham police say a man was hospitalized after being shot by a cab driver during an argument over his fare.
- IRS employee pleads guilty in tax fraud scheme Updated: Feb-09-16 5:01 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Federal prosecutors in Alabama say an IRS employee has pleaded guilty in scheme involving more than $1 million in tax fraud.
- Shopping cart designed by Alabama woman gaining popularity Updated: Feb-09-16 9:48 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Caroline's Cart, a shopping cart for special needs children created by Alabama mom Drew Ann Long, will soon be found in Target stores nationwide.
- Alabama poet laureate Andrew Glaze dies at 95 Updated: Feb-08-16 5:50 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Andrew Glaze, who began work as a newspaper reporter in Birmingham after World War II and went on to become Alabama's poet laureate, has died.
- Former Alabama Democratic chair Redding Pitt dies Updated: Feb-08-16 3:13 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A one-time chairman of Alabama's Democratic Party who also served as the chief federal prosecutor in Montgomery has died.
- Plaque honors Kansas boy who died at Alabama airport Updated: Feb-08-16 1:13 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - An Alabama airport has added a plaque to remember a Kansas boy who died when he was hit by a falling flight information sign.
- Sam Hunt: Playing Super Bowl blends love for music, sports Updated: Feb-07-16 8:16 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - As a kid, Sam Hunt dreamt of playing in the Super Bowl. And he was on the right path as a quarterback for both Middle Tennessee State University and the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Birmingham's 19th-century Mardi Gras Updated: Feb-07-16 10:05 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - On March 9, 1886, Birmingham residents were greeted with a report in The Birmingham Age newspaper declaring the city's first Mardi Gras a success. A headline said: "German Mardi Gras: King Carnival Captures the City and the Scene is Witnessed by a Large Crowd."
- UAB coasts to 104-67 win over Florida Atlantic Updated: Feb-06-16 10:27 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Chris Cokley scored 14 points to lead seven Alabama-Birmingham players in double figures for a 104-67 win over Florida Atlantic on Saturday night.
- Norton scores 15 points, UAB holds off FIU 74-69 Updated: Feb-04-16 11:07 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Nick Norton scored 15 points and Alabama-Birmingham held off Florida International 74-69 on Thursday night.
- Birmingham mayor issues 'ban the box' order for city jobs Updated: Feb-04-16 7:25 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham Mayor William Bell has issued an executive order to protect applicants for city jobs from automatic disqualification over their criminal records.
- The Latest: Suspected tornado damages Army post in Georgia Updated: Feb-03-16 7:20 pm
The Latest on the winter storm system affecting a broad swath of the Midwest and Southern U.S. (all times local):
- Tornado damage to homes, trees reported in western Alabama Updated: Feb-02-16 7:42 pm
ALICEVILLE, Alabama - A large tornado reported in rural western Alabama left a trail of damage Tuesday evening as powerful storms moved into the state.
- The Latest: Damage reported in Aliceville, storm moving east Updated: Feb-02-16 7:03 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The Latest on severe weather in Alabama (all times local):
- 2 charged with capital murder in Alabama robbery, slaying Updated: Feb-02-16 5:30 pm
LIPSCOMB, Alabama - Authorities have arrested two men on capital murder charges in a robbery and slaying last summer in Lipscomb.
- UAB, medical center to raise hourly minimum wage to $11 Updated: Feb-01-16 5:24 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The University of Alabama at Birmingham and its affiliated hospital system are planning to raise the hourly minimum wage for employees next month.