- African-American man who taught Carter family to be honored Updated: Jul-03-15 4:04 am
BURNSVILLE, North Carolina - The African-American man who is credited with sharing his skills and music with the "First Family of Country Music" is getting an historical marker.
- Police detain man found in NC mall with rifle, ammunition Updated: Jul-02-15 9:47 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina - Authorities in North Carolina say they have detained a man walking through a mall with an assault rifle, a bulletproof vest, and multiple rounds of ammunition.
- First-round pick Kaminsky signs contract with Hornets Updated: Jul-02-15 8:50 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - First-round draft pick Frank Kaminsky has signed a contract with the Charlotte Hornets.
- Kentucky clerk sued for not issuing gay-marriage licenses Updated: Jul-02-15 7:40 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Four Kentucky couples are suing a clerk who is refusing to issue gay-marriage licenses - or any marriage licenses at all - following the U.S. Supreme Court decision that same-sex couples have a legal right to marry.
- North Carolina shark attack victim says fortunate to survive Updated: Jul-02-15 6:13 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The latest survivor in a record-breaking string of seven North Carolina shark attacks said Thursday he's very fortunate to be alive and thankful for the emergency help he received after struggling ashore.
- Greensboro council changes approved by NC legislators Updated: Jul-02-15 5:59 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina General Assembly approved a reconfigured City Council for Greensboro on Thursday in the latest effort by GOP lawmakers in charge of the legislature to alter or rein in powers of local governments.
- NC DENR backs off 3-year cyanide grace period for Alcoa site Updated: Jul-02-15 4:47 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's environment agency is backing away from a proposal to wait three years before requiring new limits on the cyanide pouring off a closed Alcoa Corp. smelter site into waters used for fishing, swimming and drinking.
- Winston-Salem police officer charged in fatal May wreck Updated: Jul-02-15 4:27 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - A Winston-Salem police officer is facing charged after a 68-year-old man died when his pickup truck collided with a police cruiser.
- N. Carolina lawmakers take week off despite no final budget Updated: Jul-02-15 4:17 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina General Assembly went home Thursday to begin a July 4 weekend followed by a weeklong break despite a chasm between House and Senate proposals on the already overdue state budget.
- Police charge 4 in break-in at Asheville jewelry store Updated: Jul-02-15 3:18 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Police in Asheville say four people are facing felony charges in connection with a break-in at a jewelry store where they say $85,000 in jewelry was stolen.
- 1 death reported from salmonella outbreak at NC restaurant Updated: Jul-02-15 3:08 pm
LEXINGTON, North Carolina - State health officials say one person has died in connection with a salmonella outbreak at a North Carolina barbecue restaurant.
- Herbalife expanding in Winston-Salem; adding 300 more jobs Updated: Jul-02-15 12:49 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Nutrition company Herbalife is expanding in Winston-Salem and will add 300 jobs by the end of 2018.
- Man shot to death in Raleigh; no arrests reported Updated: Jul-02-15 9:34 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Police in Raleigh are investigating a man's shooting death.
- Man shot to death by police in western North Carolina Updated: Jul-02-15 9:01 am
FRANKLIN, North Carolina - Police have shot and killed a man who fired at officers trying to serve an arrest warrant in western North Carolina.
- Man shot to death by police in western North Carolina Updated: Jul-02-15 8:52 am
FRANKLIN, North Carolina - Police have shot and killed a man who fired at officers who were trying to serve an arrest warrant in Macon County.
- Police ID remains found as man missing since Sept. 2014 Updated: Jul-02-15 7:53 am
HICKORY, North Carolina - Police have identified the remains found in some woods in Hickory as those of a man reported missing since September 2014.
- 2 workers injured in fall at Wilmington high school Updated: Jul-02-15 7:19 am
WILMINGTON, North Carolina - Two school maintenance workers have been hurt after they fell from scaffolding at New Hanover High School in Wilmington.
- Attorney General Lynch comes home Updated: Jul-02-15 6:34 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch says civil rights will be a focus as she serves as the nation's top prosecutor.
- Equal protection protests lead to arrests at NC legislature Updated: Jul-01-15 7:13 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - More demonstrators at the North Carolina Legislative Building were arrested Wednesday after advocating equal protections for gays, immigrants and the uninsured in the wake of last week's Supreme Court rulings.
- Man bitten by shark on NC Outer Banks is 7th this summer Updated: Jul-01-15 6:33 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A shark bit a 68-year-old man several times Wednesday in waist-deep water off North Carolina's Outer Banks, officials said, the seventh in a record-breaking year of shark attacks for the state's coastal waters.
- Boy chained up with dead chicken around neck tells his story Updated: Jul-01-15 5:52 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Handcuffed and shackled to a block of steel, the young boy would brace himself when he heard footsteps outside his bedroom door. He knew that once the grown-ups entered, the abuse would begin.
- Higher penalties for NC carnival ride accidents approved Updated: Jul-01-15 5:34 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Maximum fines for carnival ride accidents in North Carolina would rise exponentially in legislation that's now passed both chambers in one version or another.
- East Carolina University chancellor to step down in 2016 Updated: Jul-01-15 5:15 pm
GREENVILLE, North Carolina - East Carolina University Chancellor Steve Ballard says he will step down from his post in 2016,
- 2 charged after human remains found in Forsyth County Updated: Jul-01-15 5:02 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - Authorities in Forsyth County say two people are facing charges after human remains were found on a property in Pfafftown.
- North Carolina high schools suspend driver's education Updated: Jul-01-15 3:56 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - With state funding to help pay for driver's education in question, at least a third of North Carolina's school systems are suspending their programs this summer.