- Police department won't send officers to RNC, cites concerns Updated: May-27-16 4:51 pm
CLEVELAND - A North Carolina police department has rescinded its offer to send 50 police officers to this summer's Republican National Convention in Cleveland, citing concerns about insurance coverage and whether the city is prepared to host an event that's expected to bring 50,000 visitors to northeast Ohio.
- Phinney, Small make Olympic statement with US titles Updated: May-27-16 4:48 pm
Taylor Phinney and Carmen Small will wear the stars-and-stripes jerseys for the next year.
- UNC board retains 2 law firms in lawsuit over House Bill 2 Updated: May-27-16 4:41 pm
CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina - The University of North Carolina system has hired two law firms to defend it against a federal lawsuit over House Bill 2.
- Improving Larson looks for first Cup win at Coca-Cola 600 Updated: May-27-16 4:31 pm
CONCORD, North Carolina - Kyle Larson believes he's on the verge of kicking in the door and getting his first NASCAR Sprint Cup win.
- McCrory writes congressional leaders to act on LGBT conflict Updated: May-27-16 3:58 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory wants Congress to clarify U.S. Civil Rights Act protections after President Barack Obama's administration challenged bathroom provisions in the state's new law known as House Bill 2.
- North Carolina prisons moving away from solitary confinement Updated: May-27-16 3:36 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina prison officials have cut the number of inmates in solitary confinement in half over the past year.
- Beach-bound Triangle residents now have Goldsboro bypass Updated: May-27-16 3:09 pm
GOLDSBORO, North Carolina - Triangle motorists heading for the Crystal Coast, as well as coastal residents traveling to Raleigh, now can make their trip without passing directly through Goldsboro.
- Crowd thins slightly at NC furniture market after LGBT law Updated: May-27-16 2:40 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Attendance dipped slightly for North Carolina's world-renowned furniture market this year in an early test of business reaction to the state's new law limiting protections for LGBT people.
- Rohlman homers twice, Clemson tops Louisville 5-3 at ACCs Updated: May-27-16 2:20 pm
DURHAM, North Carolina - Reed Rohlman hit two home runs and Clemson beat Louisville 5-3 on Friday at the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament.
- Young bears separate from moms, roam across Asheville area Updated: May-27-16 2:09 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - A North Carolina wildlife biologist says people living in the Asheville area can expect to see more young bears soon because their mothers are kicking them out to be on their own.
- Man pleads guilty after fatal silicone butt injection Updated: May-27-16 1:46 pm
GREENBELT, Maryland - A North Carolina man has pleaded guilty to receiving and selling misbranded silicone for buttock injections that led to a woman's death in Maryland.
- UNC's Roy Williams recovering from knee replacement surgery Updated: May-27-16 1:11 pm
CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina - North Carolina Hall of Fame men's basketball coach Roy Williams is recovering from knee replacement surgery.
- Bill would end N Carolina electronics recycling program Updated: May-27-16 1:02 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's electronic recycling program and ban on such equipment in landfills would end in legislation making its way through the state Senate.
- Man dies after being shot at home in Winston-Salem Updated: May-27-16 12:07 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - Police are investigating the shooting death of a man at a home in Winston-Salem.
- Gaston County police arrest suspect in cousins' deaths Updated: May-27-16 11:35 am
GASTONIA, North Carolina - Police have arrested a 17-year-old male and charged him in the deaths of two cousins found dead in a home in Gaston County.
- Man pleads guilty to involuntary manslaughter in 2 deaths Updated: May-27-16 8:24 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - A man has pleaded guilty to two counts of involuntary manslaughter for a wreck that killed two people in Charlotte last year.
- Lumberton police, IRS warn of widespread tax scam Updated: May-27-16 6:54 am
LUMBERTON, North Carolina - Lumberton police are warning residents of a scam in which a person calls claiming to be from the Internal Revenue Service and demands money.
- Navy investigating cause of training mission jet crash Updated: May-27-16 6:07 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Four Navy aviators ejected from two fighter jets "at a high rate of speed" after their aircraft got into trouble in the air and plunged into the Atlantic Ocean off the North Carolina coast, one of the rescuers said.
- Miami rallies past NC State 8-7 at ACC Tournament Updated: May-26-16 10:57 pm
DURHAM, North Carolina - Edgar Michelangeli's three-run homer in the top of the ninth helped Miami rally past North Carolina State 8-7 on Thursday night at the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament.
- Martin Truex Jr. wins pole for Charlotte's NASCAR race Updated: May-26-16 9:09 pm
CONCORD, North Carolina - Martin Truex Jr. put himself in good position for another strong showing at the Coca-Cola 600, a race he thought he should have won last year.
- Mom charged with murder after driving into lake with son Updated: May-26-16 7:44 pm
CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina - A woman who drove into a lake with her 6-year-old son in the car has been charged with attempted 1st-degree murder.
- Man pleads guilty to charges in death of school teacher Updated: May-26-16 6:53 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - The man accused in the death of a school teacher has pleaded guilty to multiple charges stemming from the incident.
- Florida State beats Georgia Tech 6-1 in ACC baseball tourney Updated: May-26-16 6:45 pm
DURHAM, North Carolina - John Sansone and Dylan Busby each hit two-run homers to help Florida State beat Georgia Tech 6-1 in Thursday's pool play at the Atlantic Coast Conference baseball tournament.
- Wisconsin governor's son takes job in NC politics Updated: May-26-16 5:32 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The son of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has taken a job working for North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory.
- Navy: 2 fighter jets crash off NC coast; 4 hospitalized Updated: May-26-16 5:28 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Two Navy jet fighters crashed off the coast of North Carolina during a training mission Thursday, and their four crew members were airlifted to a hospital with minor injuries after being plucked out of the Atlantic Ocean by a commercial fishing vessel and Coast Guard rescuers, officials said.