- Powerful storms topple trees that kill driver, hurt campers Updated: Aug-04-15 4:07 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A line of powerful thunderstorms rolled through communities in southern New England on Tuesday, toppling trees that killed a driver and injured several campers at a state park and leaving as many as 150,000 electric customers without power at the height of the storms.
- Hernandez lawyers ask to suppress evidence in double slaying Updated: Aug-04-15 4:04 pm
BOSTON - Lawyers for former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez are asking a judge to toss out evidence seized from an SUV authorities say Hernandez was in when he fatally shot two men over a spilled drink.
- Mayors of Braintree, Leominster join MassDOT board Updated: Aug-04-15 11:31 am
BOSTON - Gov. Charlie Baker has appointed a pair of mayors to the reconstituted board of directors for the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.
- Report: Foreclosure activity on rise in Massachusetts Updated: Aug-04-15 11:01 am
BOSTON - A new report says foreclosure activity is continuing its steady increase in Massachusetts.
- Deaths of dad and girl, 11, investigated as murder-suicide Updated: Aug-04-15 10:23 am
PITTSFIELD, Massachusetts - Authorities in Massachusetts say a man and his 11-year-old daughter have been found dead in what they believe may be a murder-suicide.
- Mother, 2-year-old child shot at Worcester apartment complex Updated: Aug-04-15 5:20 am
WORCESTER, Massachusetts - Authorities say a woman and her 2-year-old child were wounded in a shooting in Worcester.
- Firing of town's first black police chief leads to turmoil Updated: Aug-03-15 9:14 pm
POCOMOKE CITY, Maryland - Residents of a small town on Maryland's Eastern Shore vented their frustrations and concerns about the ouster of the town's first black police chief at a City Council meeting Monday that devolved into angry shouting.
- Track construction begins on New Haven-Springfield rail line Updated: Aug-03-15 9:10 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Construction of a second track for the expanded rail line from New Haven to Springfield, Massachusetts, began Monday, and commuters will be bused along the route for the next year.
- State seeks to dismiss Boston's lawsuit against Wynn casino Updated: Aug-03-15 7:04 pm
BOSTON - State gambling regulators want a judge to dismiss Boston's lawsuit challenging the award of a casino license to casino operator Wynn, saying the decision is not subject to judicial review and the city's challenge comes too late.
- 3 shot in car in Boston neighborhood; 2 critically injured Updated: Aug-03-15 5:56 pm
BOSTON - Boston police say a brother and sister have been critically wounded, and a woman with them less seriously hurt, when they were shot as they sat in a car outside a housing complex.
- Massachusetts officials praise move by Obama on power plants Updated: Aug-03-15 5:05 pm
BOSTON - President Barack Obama's decision to mandate steeper greenhouse gas cuts from power plants may be running into opposition in some states, but in Massachusetts fellow Democrats are hailing the move.
- Fire destroys winery, 4,000 gallons of wine at historic farm Updated: Aug-03-15 3:54 pm
CHARLTON, Massachusetts - Fire investigators on Monday sifted through the rubble of a farm winery after a massive blaze destroyed it and 4,000 gallons of wine.
- State fund grows as horse industry continues to languish Updated: Aug-03-15 3:50 pm
PLAINVILLE, Massachusetts - Massachusetts' horse racing industry is flush with casino cash. The only problem? There isn't much of a local industry to speak of.
- Boston Symphony Orchestra extends music director's contract Updated: Aug-03-15 3:01 pm
BOSTON - The Boston Symphony Orchestra said Monday it was extending the contract of Andris Nelsons, who last year became the orchestra's youngest conductor in a century.
- Secretary Galvin files public records ballot question Updated: Aug-03-15 2:15 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts state Secretary William Galvin has filed a ballot question aimed at strengthening the state's public records law.
- Trooper held after arraignment on domestic violence charges Updated: Aug-03-15 1:20 pm
GARDNER, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts state trooper accused of injuring his girlfriend in a domestic violence incident that began with an argument over loud music during his birthday party has been ordered held until a dangerousness hearing.
- Average price at pumps down 6 cents in Massachusetts Updated: Aug-03-15 12:17 pm
BOSTON - The average price for gasoline has dropped 6 cents per gallon in the last week in Massachusetts and is now at its lowest level since the start of May.
- Massachusetts seeks help in cutting recidivism rates Updated: Aug-03-15 11:59 am
BOSTON - Top Massachusetts leaders are requesting an independent examination of the state's criminal justice system with an eye toward lowering recidivism rates and reducing, in turn, the state's prison population.
- Suspect in custody in fatal Massachusetts shooting Updated: Aug-03-15 9:55 am
PITTSFIELD, Massachusetts - Massachusetts prosecutors are seeking the return of a teen suspected in a fatal shooting in Pittsfield.
- Cambridge cabbies on strike, seek ride-hailing regs Updated: Aug-03-15 8:37 am
CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts - It might be a tough day to hail a cab in Cambridge.
- Massachusetts woman's chicken getting $2,500 prosthetic leg Updated: Aug-03-15 8:04 am
CLINTON, Massachusetts - This chicken leg isn't for eating.
- Officials: Beachgoers rescued drowning 7-year-old girl Updated: Aug-03-15 5:19 am
MILTON, Massachusetts - Fire officials say two good Samaritans helped save a 7-year-old girl from nearly drowning in a pond in Massachusetts.
- Much accomplished since ADA enacted, still work to be done Updated: Aug-02-15 8:37 pm
WESTPORT, Massachusetts - In the 11 years since the accident that placed John Pelletier in a wheelchair, this country has come a long way to accommodating those with difficulty getting around, he said.
- Cabrera's double in 8th helps Rays to 4-3 win over Red Sox Updated: Aug-02-15 6:14 pm
BOSTON - Junichi Tazawa showed Asdrubal Cabrera the same pitch once too often.
- Cabrera's double in 8th helps Rays to 4-3 win over Red Sox Updated: Aug-02-15 6:05 pm
BOSTON - James Loney knows it always feels better having a lucky hit at the right time.