- More than 4,000 migrants rescued in single day Updated: May-26-16 3:20 pm
ROME - More than 4,000 would-be refugees were rescued at sea Thursday in one of the busiest days of the Mediterranean migrant crisis, and at least 20 died trying to reach Europe as Libyan-based smugglers took advantage of calmer seas to send desperate migrants north.
- The Latest: Afghan, Sudanese migrants clash in Calais camp Updated: May-26-16 2:26 pm
ROME - The Latest on the flow of migrants into Europe (all times local):
- Giuseppe Iachini replaces Luigi De Canio as Udinese coach Updated: May-19-16 9:10 am
UDINE, Italy - Udinese has appointed former Palermo coach Giuseppe Iachini to lead the team after deciding not to renew Luigi De Canio's contract.
- Italy seeks 18 years for alleged captain of smuggling boat Updated: May-17-16 9:53 am
CATANIA, Sicily - Italian prosecutors in Sicily are seeking an 18-year prison sentence for a Tunisian man who allegedly captained a smugglers' boat that capsized and sank, sending some 800 migrants to their death in the Mediterranean.
- Carpi relegated from Serie A, Palermo stays up Updated: May-15-16 7:14 pm
MILAN - Carpi was relegated from Serie A on Sunday despite a 2-1 win at 10-man Udinese after Palermo beat bottom club Hellas Verona 3-2 in a dramatic match which saw both sides have a player sent off in the first half.
- Italian navy to resume recovery of boat full of migrant dead Updated: May-03-16 1:05 pm
ROME - Improved sea conditions are permitting the Italian navy to resume a complex operation to recover a sunken fishing boat with the bodies of hundreds of migrants inside.