- Italian premier's Democrats facing loss in key regional race Updated: May-31-15 9:02 pm
ROME - Premier Matteo Renzi's squabbling Democratic Party appeared headed for a stinging defeat in a key race in voting for governorships in several Italian regions, partial counting of ballots indicated Monday.
- Suspect in Tunisia attack claims innocence at 1st hearing Updated: May-22-15 11:38 am
ROME - The Moroccan migrant accused of being involved in Tunisia's Bardo Museum massacre insisted Friday on his innocence and refused to voluntarily be turned over to Tunisian authorities.
- In Italy, seized knock-off shoes go to help new migrants Updated: May-12-15 7:49 am
CATANIA, Sicily - When migrants arrive in Italy, exhausted after days of perilous travel in overcrowded boats, some of the first things they receive are gleaming sneakers that stand out incongruously against their grimy and threadbare clothes.
- Migrants in Italy toil to put food on Europeans' plates Updated: May-10-15 2:16 am
SYRACUSE, Sicily - Colorful plastic boxes lie evenly spaced on a freshly turned field, ready to be filled with potatoes destined for the plates of diners across Europe. The 14 men lining up to pluck them from the rich soil of eastern Sicily are almost all newcomers to a continent where many eye them with a mix of pity and suspicion.
- Police break up US-Italy drug ring run out of NYC pizzeria Updated: May-07-15 1:35 pm
ROME - By night, the Calabrian immigrant family served up piping-hot pizza. After hours, Italian and U.S. authorities say, the restaurant in the New York borough of Queens was busy filling other orders - allegedly running a cocaine trafficking ring that spanned three continents.
- Teen survivor tells of panic during deadly migrant rescue Updated: May-06-15 3:18 pm
NICOLOSI, Sicily - Calloused and stained, Baboucar Lowe's hands tell the story of a difficult life, one that nearly ended at 17 when the rubber dinghy he was on deflated within sight of a rescue ship, drowning dozens of migrants trying to reach Europe.