- Bill would stop removal of Confederate, historic markers Updated: Feb-09-16 7:41 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Confederate monuments first erected after the Civil War to honor Southern soldiers have increasingly been targeted by civil rights activists who say they are offensive to blacks and should be taken down. An Alabama legislator wants to make sure that doesn't happen without state lawmakers' approval.
- Montgomery attorney faces federal fraud charges Updated: Feb-09-16 5:18 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A Georgia man who used to practice law in Montgomery, Alabama has been accused of defrauding the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for nearly $1.1 million between 2005 and 2008.
- Former Alabama Democratic chair Redding Pitt dies Updated: Feb-08-16 3:13 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A one-time chairman of Alabama's Democratic Party who also served as the chief federal prosecutor in Montgomery has died.
- Brantley teen overwhelmed with support before cancer fight Updated: Feb-06-16 10:28 am
BRANTLEY, Alabama - Alex Wilcox passively stands, eyes darting around at the scene, her shy nature overwhelmed.
- Bentley seeks prison bond issue, prekindergarten boost Updated: Feb-02-16 10:05 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley on Tuesday night used his annual State of the State address to call for the construction of new prisons to replace aging state facilities that have come under scrutiny for overcrowding, violence and abuse.
- Gov. Robert Bentley appoints 2 to Alabama Ethics Commission Updated: Feb-01-16 4:19 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley has made two appointments to the Alabama Ethics Commission.
- Justices extend bar on automatic life terms for teenagers Updated: Jan-25-16 11:24 am
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that people serving life terms for murders they committed as teenagers must have a chance to seek their freedom, a decision that could affect more than 1,000 inmates.
- AUM conference examines life in the south Updated: Jan-24-16 7:01 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - February Auburn University Montgomery conference focusing on the South will offer insight into the region's culture, history, art, music, and journalism.
- Alabama judge censured for telling defendants to give blood Updated: Jan-21-16 5:02 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A state panel has publicly censured an Alabama judge who told criminal defendants who couldn't pay their fines to either donate blood or go to jail.
- Alabama to recognize veteran-owned businesses with stickers Updated: Jan-20-16 4:59 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley and other officials have announced a program to provide display stickers to inform consumers of which businesses are owned by veterans.
- Forecasts: Alabama economy likely to grow slowly in 2016 Updated: Jan-19-16 9:24 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Don't expect 2016 to be the year that Alabama suddenly rebounds to the heady job and salary levels of a decade ago.
- From Tuscaloosa to Atlanta, residents celebrate King legacy Updated: Jan-18-16 4:26 pm
ATLANTA - Residents across the South observed Martin Luther King Day with parades, church services and acts of service Monday.
- Heavy Duty: Alabamians step on scale to set Guinness record Updated: Jan-17-16 9:51 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - In the spirt of weight loss, Alabamians stepped on a truck scale and broke the Guinness World Record.
- Montgomery hospital unveils $5.5M wing for new mothers Updated: Jan-15-16 5:16 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Montgomery's Baptist Medical-Addition East, one of Alabama's busiest birthing centers, has unveiled a $5.5 million maternity wing expansion that offers more space, privacy and comfort for new mothers and their families.
- Medicaid budget request brings debate and frustration Updated: Jan-13-16 5:22 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's Medicaid commissioner told lawmakers Wednesday that the agency will need an additional $156 million to maintain services next year, a funding request that caused lawmakers to criticize the expense of the health care program and its recipients.
- Spanish Fort's Johnston named Alabama's Mr. Football Updated: Jan-13-16 3:57 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Spanish Fort quarterback Tyler Johnston is Alabama's Mr. Football.