- Carter's cancer rekindles memories of 1980 Olympic boycott Updated: Aug-29-15 3:13 am
ATLANTA - Thirty-five years after his hopes for a gold medal were dashed by Jimmy Carter's boycott of the Moscow Olympics, Craig Beardsley is at peace.
- Struggling Russia gets unexpected gold in 110-meter hurdles Updated: Aug-28-15 1:14 pm
BEIJING - Russian hurdler Sergey Shubenkov knows all about his country's doping scandals, he's just not paying any attention to it.
- Ukraine asks Russia for lower gas prices for winter season Updated: Aug-28-15 9:01 am
MOSCOW - Ukraine asked Russia on Friday for lower gas prices for the winter and said Moscow should accept to write off a part of its loans to Kiev, as other international bondholders did this week.
- Former European champs Ajax, Celtic grouped in Europa League Updated: Aug-28-15 8:59 am
MONACO - Former European champions Ajax and Celtic were drawn together with Fenerbahce and Molde in the Europa League groups on Friday.
- CSKA faces UEFA charge over flare landing on pitch Updated: Aug-27-15 11:47 am
MOSCOW - Russia's CSKA Moscow faces disciplinary charges after a flare was thrown onto the pitch during a Champions League game against Sporting Lisbon, UEFA said Thursday.
- Russia to launch Moscow-Beijing rally to rival Dakar Updated: Aug-27-15 10:42 am
MOSCOW - Russia's state-owned gas company Gazprom has thrown its weight behind a rival to the renowned Dakar Rally as Russia flexes its muscles in the world of motorsport.
- NATO chief: Too early to say if Georgia joins NATO Updated: Aug-27-15 10:29 am
TBILISI, Georgia - NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said on a visit Thursday to Georgia that it is too early to tell whether the former Soviet republic will be invited to take the final step toward NATO membership.
- Musa fires CSKA past Sporting, into Champions League groups Updated: Aug-26-15 5:43 pm
KHIMKI, Russia - Ahmed Musa fired CSKA Moscow into the Champions League group stage with a late winner as the Russian team mounted a second-half comeback to beat Sporting Lisbon 3-1 on Wednesday and 4-3 on aggregate.
- Egypt turns to Russia to combat terrorism Updated: Aug-26-15 10:31 am
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi on Wednesday called for a coalition to combat terrorism in the Middle East.
- Russia's Putin hosts Middle East leaders at air show Updated: Aug-25-15 12:58 pm
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin has played host to the king of Jordan and the crown prince of Abu Dhabi on the first day of Russia's main aviation and space show.
- Russia removes foreign detergents from shops, citing risks Updated: Aug-25-15 12:10 pm
MOSCOW - Russian authorities have begun to remove foreign brands of detergents from stores, claiming that they pose health risks.
- A look at recent politically tainted trials in Russia Updated: Aug-25-15 10:04 am
MOSCOW - The guilty verdict Tuesday for Crimean filmmaker Oleg Sentsov, who was convicted and sentenced to 20 years in a Russian maximum-security prison for an alleged terror conspiracy, follows a plethora of recent Russian trials that are widely seen as warnings to society not to question its Kremlin rulers.
- Kirilenko elected head of Russian basketball Updated: Aug-25-15 7:51 am
MOSCOW - Former NBA player Andrei Kirilenko has been elected president of the troubled Russian Basketball Federation.
- Zenit beats Rubin in Russian Premier League Updated: Aug-24-15 5:31 pm
MOSCOW - Zenit St. Petersburg scored two late goals to beat Rubin Kazan 3-1 on Monday and avoid dropping further off the pace in the Russian Premier League.
- Russian ruble collapses to 7-month low on weak oil prices Updated: Aug-24-15 1:05 pm
MOSCOW - The Russian ruble plunged 2.9 percent on Monday to hit a seven-month low amid a further drop in oil prices, the country's key export.
- Former NBA star Kirilenko hopes to rescue Russian basketball Updated: Aug-23-15 5:41 am
MOSCOW - After spending more than a decade in the NBA, former All-Star Andrei Kirilenko is taking on what may be his biggest challenge yet - rescuing basketball in his native Russia.
- New Russia coach looks to veterans to save Euro 2016 bid Updated: Aug-21-15 8:08 am
MOSCOW - New Russia coach Leonid Slutsky is putting his trust in veteran players as he tries to save his team's hopes of reaching next year's European championship.
- Russian court orders Ukrainian pilot tried in border town Updated: Aug-21-15 7:19 am
MOSCOW - A Russian court on Friday rejected a defense plea to move a high-profile trial of a Ukrainian officer to Moscow.
- Poland's new leader seeks greater regional unity, NATO bases Updated: Aug-21-15 4:40 am
WARSAW, Poland - It's been a dream of some Polish leaders for nearly a century: an alliance of Eastern European countries running from the Baltic Sea down to the Black Sea that would keep Russia at bay.
- Olympic figure skating champ Sotnikova prepares for comeback Updated: Aug-20-15 1:09 pm
MOSCOW - Olympic figure skating champion Adelina Sotnikova has a simple message: I'm back.
- Beloved Russian stage and film actor Lev Durov dies at 83 Updated: Aug-20-15 7:52 am
MOSCOW - Lev Durov, one of Russia's most prolific and best loved actors, has died. He was 83.
- Russia gives Estonian security officer 15 years in prison Updated: Aug-19-15 2:02 pm
MOSCOW - A Russian court on Wednesday sentenced an Estonian security service officer to 15 years in prison for spying in a case that Estonian officials dismissed as revenge for his investigation into a Russian smuggling ring.
- Russians ask for 23-year sentence for Crimean filmmaker Updated: Aug-19-15 1:53 pm
MOSCOW - Russian prosecutors are asking a court to send a Ukrainian filmmaker to prison for 23 years on charges of conspiracy to commit terrorist attacks.
- Moscow urges Europe to get Ukraine to comply with truce Updated: Aug-19-15 1:43 pm
MOSCOW - Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov pushed Wednesday for European powers to get Ukraine to comply with a truce in eastern Ukraine.
- Russia hits French chain Auchan with food inspections Updated: Aug-19-15 12:22 pm
MOSCOW - Russian authorities conducted "systematic" inspections at French supermarket chain Auchan following concerns about poor-quality meat, officials said Wednesday.