- Russian agency: S-400 missiles already deployed in Syria Updated: Nov-26-15 5:41 am
MOSCOW - Russia's state-owned RIA Novosti news agency is reporting that Russia has already deployed long-range air defense missiles at its base in Syria.
- Schuerrle steers Wolfsburg to 2-0 win over CSKA Moscow Updated: Nov-25-15 5:02 pm
KHIMKI, Russia - Andre Schuerrle scored one goal and made the other as Wolfsburg beat CSKA Moscow 2-0 on Wednesday in the Champions League.
- The Latest: UK envoy: Jet downing must spur end to Syria war Updated: Nov-25-15 3:20 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest on the war in Syria, including a Russian warplane shot down by Turkey. All times local:
- Russian crackdown on Muslims fuels exodus to Islamic State Updated: Nov-25-15 6:15 am
KOMSOMOLSKOYE, Russia - Rashid Magomedov had had enough, his father said. The devout Muslim was detained several times by Russian security police, spent two months in jail on charges that later were dismissed, and complained that police repeatedly planted weapons at his home as a pretext to arrest him.
- He jumped into Normandy, ran spies in Moscow, retired at 90 Updated: Nov-25-15 3:07 am
WASHINGTON - Hugh Montgomery never wrote a memoir. That just wasn't done among his generation of spies.
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- The Latest: France says it has struck IS center in Iraq Updated: Nov-24-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on President Barack Obama's meeting with French President Francois Hollande at the White House on the fight against the Islamic State group:
- United looking to secure Champions League knockout place Updated: Nov-24-15 7:45 am
LONDON - Wayne Rooney and Anthony Martial returned to training for Manchester United on Tuesday, though the team could still be hindered by a lengthy injury list as it bids to secure a place in the last 16 of the Champions League against PSV Eindhoven.
- White House asks allies to step up in IS campaign Updated: Nov-23-15 7:22 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House urged allies on Monday to do more in the campaign against the Islamic State, while President Barack Obama faced pressure in return to show the U.S.-led coalition will intensify efforts in response to the Paris attacks, even without a major shift in strategy.
- Church of Scientology's Moscow branch to be dissolved Updated: Nov-23-15 11:03 am
MOSCOW - A Russian court has ordered the Church of Scientology in Moscow to be dissolved.
- Obama warns against overreaction to Islamic State attacks Updated: Nov-22-15 12:35 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Trying to reassure a nation on edge, President Barack Obama said Sunday the Islamic State group "cannot strike a mortal blow" against the U.S., and he warned that overreacting to the Paris attacks would play into extremists' hands. "We will destroy this terrorist organization," he vowed.
- Zenit back on track in Russia as leader CSKA loses Updated: Nov-21-15 2:02 pm
MOSCOW - Zenit St. Petersburg reignited its push to retain the Russian Premier League title with a 3-0 win over Ural Yekaterinburg on Saturday as leader CSKA Moscow went down to a surprise defeat.
- Sports scramble for new drug testing in Russia Updated: Nov-20-15 1:04 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's doping scandal has forced international sports leaders to find new drug-testing facilities for winter events being held in the country.
- US Embassy mocks Russian paper over fake letter Updated: Nov-19-15 3:21 pm
MOSCOW - The U.S. Embassy in Moscow has mocked a Russian daily that has accused Washington of conspiring to brand some Russian officials as gays, by correcting mistakes in a fake letter the newspaper mentioned as proof.
- Egypt's el-Sissi says security at airports being revised Updated: Nov-19-15 1:11 pm
CAIRO - Egypt's president said Thursday that his country has taken several steps to boost security at ports of entry following the Oct. 31 crash of a Russian airliner and vowed to not stop until all security loopholes are closed.
- Russia 2018 World Cup CEO defends Mutko's reputation Updated: Nov-19-15 11:35 am
ZURICH - The reputation of Russia's 2018 World Cup organizing head is not at risk in the country's athletics doping scandal, the tournament CEO insisted on Thursday.
- With Islamic State targeted, what happens to Syria's Assad? Updated: Nov-18-15 3:17 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The tide of global rage against the Islamic State group lends greater urgency to ending the jihadis' ability to operate at will from a base in war-torn Syria. That momentum could also force a reevaluation of what to do about President Bashar Assad and puts a renewed focus on the position of his key patrons, Russia and Iran.
- Cub remains of extinct cave lions shown in Russia Updated: Nov-18-15 2:10 pm
MOSCOW - Thousands of years after their brief lives ended in the frozen reaches of Siberia, the remarkably well-preserved carcasses of two cave lion cubs have been shown to the public.
- Russia finds 2 previously hidden layers in Malevich painting Updated: Nov-18-15 2:08 pm
MOSCOW - To the naked eye, Kazimir Malevich's famed "Black Square" painting looks just like that: a featureless black square. But X-ray examination found much more, Moscow's Tretyakov Gallery revealed Wednesday.
- Narrowing rift, US and Russia entertain cooperation in Syria Updated: Nov-18-15 7:19 am
MOSCOW - In a striking shift, President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin are embarking on a tentative path toward closer ties and possible military cooperation, as the bitter rift over Ukraine gives way to common cause against the Islamic State group.
- Russia reveals thwarted 'hand cream' bombing before Sochi Updated: Nov-16-15 9:58 am
MOSCOW - A senior Russian official on Monday revealed the thwarting of a possible attack before the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, saying female suicide bombers had planned to smuggle explosives onto an aircraft in hand cream.
- 5 Russian athletes who will be missed during ban Updated: Nov-14-15 8:56 am
MOSCOW - Russia was suspended Friday by track and field's world governing body the IAAF, four days after a World Anti-Doping Agency report alleged a vast, state-sponsored operation of performance-enhancing drug use.
- Moscow bans Egyptian national carrier from flying to Russia Updated: Nov-13-15 12:27 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's state aviation agency on Friday banned Egypt's national carrier from flying to Russia, a move that follows the suspension of all Russian flights to Egypt after a deadly crash.
- Russian church wants more tests on remains of czar's family Updated: Nov-13-15 12:19 pm
MOSCOW - The Russian Orthodox Church has called for more tests on the remains of Russia's last czar and his family to determine whether body parts unearthed eight years ago are those of two of their children.