- Man convicted in death of officer hit by another driver Updated: Feb-11-16 3:51 pm
MINEOLA, New York - A suburban New York man was convicted Thursday in the death of a police officer responding to a crash on the Long Island Expressway even though the officer was struck and killed by another motorist.
- New York City Council speaker seeks criminal justice reforms Updated: Feb-11-16 3:41 pm
NEW YORK - The speaker of the New York City Council vowed Thursday to unclog the court system and shrink the inmate population to the point that officials could consider eventually closing the troubled Rikers Island jail.
- Yankees to dedicate plaque to Mariano Rivera on Aug 14 Updated: Feb-11-16 3:01 pm
NEW YORK - The Yankees will dedicate a plaque for retired relief pitcher Mariano Rivera in Monument Park at Yankee Stadium on Aug. 14 before a game against Tampa Bay.
- Review: In 'How to Be Single,' a rom-com quest for me time Updated: Feb-11-16 2:44 pm
Momentarily untied from "50 Shades of Grey" and its planned sequels, Dakota Johnson is again looking for love in "How to Be Single," a mild and fittingly discombobulated ode to singlehood that plays like a "Sex and the City" spinoff.
- In terror case, judge rejects inmate's mistreatment claims Updated: Feb-11-16 2:34 pm
NEW YORK - A judge has rejected the medical malpractice claims of a New York City-born man serving a 15-year prison sentence for supporting al-Qaida.
- 5 indicted in 2015 New York City gas explosion that killed 2 Updated: Feb-11-16 1:50 pm
NEW YORK - A building owner and four others were arrested Thursday on manslaughter, negligent homicide and other charges in connection with a gas explosion last year that killed two people and leveled three Manhattan buildings.
- Cuomo welcomes Italian president to NY, plans trade mission Updated: Feb-11-16 12:23 pm
NEW YORK - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says he will lead a trade trip to Italy, a country that he says has a special relationship with his state and the nation.
- NYPD investigating assault on Hasidic man in Brooklyn Updated: Feb-11-16 7:53 am
NEW YORK - New York City police are investigating the assault on a 25-year-old Hasidic man in Brooklyn.
- CityTime computer specialist gets 3 years' probation Updated: Feb-11-16 6:44 am
NEW YORK - A computer specialist who admitted his role in a scheme involving New York City's CityTime computerized payroll system has been sentenced to three years' probation.
- Bronx man gets 18 years to life in 2014 strangling death Updated: Feb-11-16 4:25 am
NEW YORK - A 35-year-old man is heading to prison for strangling a New York City woman and tossing her mutilated body off a pier.
- NY court weighs outdoor smoking ban at parks Updated: Feb-11-16 3:05 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's highest court is considering whether to overturn smoking restrictions in state parks, including an outright ban at several smaller parks in New York City.
- Lundqvist stops 34 shots, Rangers blank Penguins 3-0 Updated: Feb-11-16 12:14 am
PITTSBURGH - The New York Rangers are missing their captain and one of their leading scorers. They still have one of the best goaltenders in the league.
- Grizzlies rout Nets in 1st game since Gasol's broken foot Updated: Feb-10-16 10:57 pm
NEW YORK - A tough couple days gave way to an easy night for the Memphis Grizzlies.
- The Latest: Bush says he won't blame Obama for problems Updated: Feb-10-16 8:39 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Here's the latest on the 2016 presidential race as Republican and Democratic candidates head from New Hampshire to South Carolina and beyond. All times local:
- Trial over gallery's fake paintings ends with settlement Updated: Feb-10-16 7:47 pm
NEW YORK - A civil trial exposing the ugly underbelly of New York's art world ended with a settlement just as the once highly respected president of a gallery was to testify Wednesday about selling forged fakes of modern masters for millions of dollars.
- Man waves gun behind TV reporter during live broadcast Updated: Feb-10-16 6:01 pm
NEW YORK - Police say they're investigating after a man appeared to wave a handgun behind a television news reporter during a live broadcast in New York City.
- Jury sent home for day in officer's stairwell shooting trial Updated: Feb-10-16 6:01 pm
NEW YORK - Jurors weighing the fate of a rookie New York City police officer who fatally shot an innocent man in a public housing stairwell have gone home for the day.
- NY lawmakers propose help for the wrongfully convicted Updated: Feb-10-16 5:23 pm
ALBANY, New York - The state of New York should guarantee health coverage and college tuition to people exonerated after being imprisoned for crimes they didn't commit, two legislators said Wednesday in proposing a bill that also includes other compensation for people wrongfully convicted.
- Comptroller sounds cautious note about NYC budget Updated: Feb-10-16 5:23 pm
NEW YORK - Comptroller Scott Stringer is sounding a cautious note about New York City's booming economy.
- Wounded NYPD officer released from hospital Updated: Feb-10-16 5:16 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City police officer who was wounded by gunfire in the stairwell of a public housing project is out of the hospital.
- Ex-NYC mayoral aide's son posts bail in stabbing death case Updated: Feb-10-16 4:47 pm
EDGEWATER, New Jersey - The son of a former aide to New York Mayor Bill de Blasio's wife has been freed on bail on charges he fatally stabbed a teenager in New Jersey.
- Woman, 2 daughters fatally stabbed at NY hotel; 3rd kid hurt Updated: Feb-10-16 4:38 pm
NEW YORK - A man repeatedly stabbed his girlfriend and all three of her children Wednesday morning at a hotel that was being used for homeless housing, killing her and two of her daughters, authorities said.
- The Latest: 2nd child dies after stabbing at NYC hotel Updated: Feb-10-16 4:35 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on the stabbing of a woman and three children on Staten Island (all times local):
- Clothing salesman convicted of killing New York shopkeepers Updated: Feb-10-16 4:19 pm
NEW YORK - A clothing salesman on trial for the serial slayings of three New York City shopkeepers has been convicted of murder.
- Prosecutors: Charges upgraded in airline gun smuggling case Updated: Feb-10-16 4:07 pm
NEW YORK - Prosecutors have upgraded charges in a gun trafficking case in which they allege at least two Delta Air Lines employees helped take guns on commercial flights in carry-on luggage from Georgia to New York.