- Investigation faults NYC child welfare agency in 2 deaths Updated: May-03-16 2:46 pm
NEW YORK - An investigation into New York City's child welfare agency has found that it failed to protect two children who died and a third who nearly died in 2014.
- DA: NYC jail captain convicted of shooting wife in face Updated: May-03-16 2:23 pm
MINEOLA, New York - Prosecutors on Long Island say a New York City jail captain has been convicted of shooting his wife in the face after she told him she wanted a divorce.
- Dear Mama: Afeni Shakur, mother of rapper Tupac Shakur, dies Updated: May-03-16 2:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Afeni Shakur, the former Black Panther who inspired the work of her son, rap icon Tupac Shakur, and then fostered his legacy for decades after he was slain, has died, authorities said Tuesday. She was 69.
- Body pulled from river was woman who abandoned baby in NY Updated: May-03-16 2:03 pm
ST. LOUIS - A woman who was charged with abandoning her baby in a Manhattan subway station in 2014 has been found dead in the Mississippi River in St. Louis.
- Once a powerbroker, ex-NY Assembly speaker awaits sentence Updated: May-03-16 1:11 pm
NEW YORK - Former New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, a consummate backroom dealer who wielded power for more than two decades, awaited his sentence on federal corruption charges Tuesday in one the steepest falls from grace in the state's lineup of crooked politicians.
- Daryl Hall drops plans for outdoor stage at New York venue Updated: May-03-16 12:20 pm
PAWLING, New York - Musician Daryl Hall of Hall and Oates has dropped plans to host outdoor concerts at his music venue and restaurant in upstate New York.
- NYC is creating a new police precinct in Queens Updated: May-03-16 12:19 pm
NEW YORK - New York City is creating a new police precinct. The move is designed to speed up emergency responses and expand coverage in the growing neighborhoods of southeast Queens.
- Top NY court upholds conviction for illegal folding knife Updated: May-03-16 11:52 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's highest court on Tuesday upheld a driver's conviction for illegal possession for a gravity knife, rejecting arguments that he didn't know the folding knife he used for work could open with a flick of the wrist.
- Amy Sedaris hosts Super 8 motel art giveaway at NY gallery Updated: May-03-16 10:54 am
NEW YORK - You don't expect to find paintings from motel rooms hanging in a New York art gallery. But Openhouse gallery will be showing art from Super 8 motels and giving it away with help from comedian and lifestyle guru Amy Sedaris.
- Ex-NYPD officer pleads guilty to Vermont drug charges Updated: May-03-16 10:33 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - A former New York City police officer has pleaded guilty to a drug conspiracy charge in Vermont.
- Uber poll shows support for upstate expansion; cabs hit back Updated: May-03-16 10:30 am
ALBANY, New York - Uber and its opponents in the cab industry are ratcheting up their fight over Uber's proposed expansion in New York state.
- Sugary-drink-tax campaign to run with help from ex-NY mayor Updated: May-03-16 9:30 am
PHILADELPHIA - Proponents of a sugary drinks tax in Philadelphia are going on the counterattack with help from former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
- Kate Upton announces engagement to Tigers' Justin Verlander Updated: May-03-16 8:29 am
NEW YORK - Kate Upton has announced her engagement to baseball star Justin Verlander.
- Robber gets 5-year sentence for attack on breastfeeding mom Updated: May-03-16 6:35 am
NEW YORK - A robber who attacked a woman breastfeeding on a New York City park bench has been sentenced to five years in prison.
- 13 accused of funneling cocaine from Caribbean to New Jersey Updated: May-03-16 6:28 am
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey - A three-month investigation has ended with the arrests of 13 people on charges of funneling cocaine from Puerto Rico to the streets of New Jersey and New York.
- Police: Pair of burglars targeting NYC bars, restaurants Updated: May-03-16 5:59 am
NEW YORK - Police have released a surveillance photo and video of two suspects in a string of burglaries aimed at restaurants and bars in Lower Manhattan.
- Islanders look to bounce back in Game 3 against Lightning Updated: May-03-16 3:29 am
SYOSSET, New York - The New York Islanders know there are several areas they need to improve to avoid falling behind in their second-round series against Tampa Bay.
- Foltynewicz roughed up in return, Braves fall to Mets 4-1 Updated: May-02-16 11:11 pm
NEW YORK - To even get back on a major league mound, Mike Foltynewicz made quite a comeback.
- Mets hit 3 home runs in 1st, Colon coasts past Braves 4-1 Updated: May-02-16 10:45 pm
- Silver reigns on Met Gala red carpet Updated: May-02-16 7:44 pm
NEW YORK - Met Gala grande dame Anna Wintour was the first to arrive on the red carpet Monday, in a fringed, white body-hugging gown by Chanel and acknowledging her life is not a great example of the evening's theme, the convergence of man and machine.
- Japanese machinery firm moves Americas hub to Houston Updated: May-02-16 7:30 pm
HOUSTON - Top Japanese machinery maker Mitsubishi Heavy Industries has moved its Americas headquarters from Manhattan to Houston, resulting in the transfer of around 40 employees.
- NYPD: Man's body found in plastic bag in Brooklyn Updated: May-02-16 6:31 pm
NEW YORK - Police say a man's body was found inside a plastic bag along a Brooklyn shoreline.
- Man who served 10 years for '64 NYC killing cleared of crime Updated: May-02-16 6:02 pm
NEW YORK - A Virginia man who spent almost 10 years in prison for a New York City slaying he was pressured to plead guilty to over 50 years ago was back in court on Monday - to hear a judge finally vacate the conviction.
- Lawsuit: Abusive staff called group home the 'Bronx zoo' Updated: May-02-16 5:43 pm
ALBANY, New York - Three families on Monday sued staff at a New York City group home, alleging they punched, kicked and spit on disabled residents and that state authorities knew about the abuse and did nothing for weeks.
- Free to speak, stop-and-frisk judge claims some victories Updated: May-02-16 5:19 pm
NEW YORK - Tossing the gavel aside, feisty Judge Shira Scheindlin is speaking out, declaring victory over critics in the battle over police stop-and-frisk tactics and telling why she thinks the government spoiled its chance at conviction in four trials of John "Junior" Gotti.