- Consultant: No direct order to use party chairman's firm Updated: May-26-16 1:20 pm
OPELIKA, Alabama - A Florida political consultant testified Thursday that he believed he had to subcontract Alabama Republican Party campaign printing work back to a printing company owned by the party's chairman, but also said he had no direct orders to send the business there.
- Lawsuit: Inmate died after jail staff denied him care Updated: May-26-16 11:58 am
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - The family of an inmate who died in a Tuscaloosa jail last year has filed a federal lawsuit against jail staff and officials.
- Ex-US magistrate hired to prosecute Alabama chief justice Updated: May-26-16 11:35 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A former federal magistrate and law school dean will prosecute suspended Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore on judicial ethics charges linked to his opposition to same-sex marriage, a state official said Thursday.
- The Latest: Consultant believed he had to use Hubbard's firm Updated: May-26-16 11:21 am
OPELIKA, Alabama - The Latest on the ethics trial of Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard (all times local):
- University of North Alabama President given bonus Updated: May-26-16 10:12 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - University of North Alabama President Ken Kitts is set to receive an almost $40,000 bonus.
- Defendant cleared in 2013 Montgomery slaying Updated: May-26-16 4:47 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A Montgomery man has been acquitted in connection with the 2013 slaying of a 29-year-old man.
- LSU beats Florida 5-3 in 14-inning SEC tourney marathon Updated: May-26-16 3:09 am
HOOVER, Alabama - Jordan Romero knocked home the go-ahead run with a pinch-hit single in the 14th inning and LSU beat Florida 5-3 in a Southeastern Conference tournament marathon that ended early Thursday morning.
- Mississippi State tops Alabama 4-1 for 12th straight victory Updated: May-25-16 9:47 pm
HOOVER, Alabama - Zac Houston allowed four hits in 8 2/3 innings and Gavin Collins went 4 for 4 with a homer to help Mississippi State beat Alabama 4-1 on Wednesday night in the Southeastern Conference Tournament.
- Ex-Auburn baseball coach sues seeking $1 million buyout Updated: May-25-16 9:22 pm
AUBURN, Alabama - Former Auburn baseball coach Sunny Golloway has filed suit in federal court seeking payment of his $1 million buyout.
- Man jailed for impersonating a police officer Updated: May-25-16 6:23 pm
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - An Alabama man is behind bars in Hattiesburg after allegedly impersonating a police officer.
- Lartique powers Ole Miss past South Carolina, 10-4 Updated: May-25-16 5:50 pm
HOOVER, Alabama - Henry Lartique had four hits, including a three-run homer in the eighth inning, to power Mississippi past South Carolina 10- 4 on Wednesday in the Southeastern Conference tournament.
- FBI chief speaks at civil rights, law enforcement conference Updated: May-25-16 5:06 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Working to protect Americans' civil rights is in some ways more difficult today because of an assumption that advances mean the fight for equality has been settled, FBI Director James Comey said Wednesday.
- Feds question Alabama governor's ex-law enforcement chief Updated: May-25-16 4:51 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The former law enforcement chief who accused Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley of having an affair with an adviser has been questioned by federal investigators about the governor's administration, the official's attorney said Wednesday.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: May-25-16 2:55 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- Grisanti's homer lifts Vanderbilt past Texas A&M, 6-5 in SEC Updated: May-25-16 1:46 pm
HOOVER, Alabama - Walker Grisanti's leadoff homer in the top of the ninth lifted Vanderbilt to a 6-5 win over Texas A&M Wednesday at the Southeastern Conference tournament.
- Church in Alabama's rocket city replacing "Cosmic Christ" Updated: May-25-16 9:41 am
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Mention "Eggbeater Jesus" and most any Huntsville resident will know what you're talking about. The glass-tile mosaic that graces the front of First Baptist Church - officially, its name is "Cosmic Christ" - has been a local landmark for more than 40 years.
- Sheriff's deputies: Kiln man dies after fight with 3 sons Updated: May-25-16 6:30 am
KILN, Mississippi - Hancock County sheriff's deputies say a 75-year-old Kiln man died after he was "brutally beaten" during a fight with three of his sons last week.
- Suspect pleads not guilty in shooting of Alabama deputy Updated: May-25-16 4:42 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - A man accused of shooting and injuring a northwestern Alabama sheriff's deputy earlier this year has pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect to an attempted murder charge.
- Officials: Woman accused of setting mother's house on fire Updated: May-25-16 4:40 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A 51-year-old woman has been accused of setting fire to her mother's house while the woman was still inside.
- LSU scores twice in 9th for 5-4 tourney win over Tennessee Updated: May-25-16 12:53 am
HOOVER, Alabama - Gregg Deichmann hit a tying homer in the bottom of the ninth and Kramer Robertson singled home the winning run to lift LSU to a 5-4 victory over Tennessee on Tuesday night in the Southeastern Conference tournament.
- Auburn defensive back Tim Irvin announces transfer Updated: May-24-16 8:51 pm
AUBURN, Alabama - Auburn defensive back Tim Irvin is transferring to another school.
- Haynie's homer helps power Alabama past Kentucky, 5-2 Updated: May-24-16 8:49 pm
HOOVER, Alabama - Will Haynie hit a two-run homer in the top of the ninth and Alabama beat Kentucky 5-2 Tuesday in the opening round of the Southeastern Conference tournament.
- Woodman sparks Ole Miss to 5-1 victory over Georgia Updated: May-24-16 4:51 pm
HOOVER, Alabama - J.B. Woodman tripled, doubled and drove in three runs Tuesday as No. 7 seed Mississippi defeated No. 10 seed Georgia 5-1 in the first round of the Southeastern Conference tournament.
- Authorities responding to tanker truck fire in Fultondale Updated: May-24-16 3:49 pm
FULTONDALE, Alabama - Authorities are responding to a tanker truck fire north of Birmingham.
- Vanderbilt beats Missouri 7-0 in first round of SEC tourney Updated: May-24-16 2:08 pm
HOOVER, Alabama - Patrick Raby and two other pitchers combined on a four-hit shutout Tuesday as No. 6 seed Vanderbilt defeated No. 11 seed Missouri 7-0 in the opening game of the Southeastern Conference tournament.