- USS Jackson commissioning date set Updated: Oct-08-15 4:23 pm
GULFPORT, Mississippi - The Navy ship USS Jackson will be commissioned at 10 a.m. Dec. 5 in Gulfport.
- Driver tries to flee police in front of police headquarters Updated: Oct-08-15 12:24 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A driver didn't get far when he tried to speed away from Jackson police right in front of the downtown police headquarters.
- Hinds County Courthouse could get a facelift Updated: Oct-08-15 9:03 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Hinds County Courthouse, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986, is showing its age, leading county officials to say it's time for a facelift.
- Jackson State provost resigns Updated: Oct-07-15 4:05 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Jackson State University Provost James Renick has resigned on the heels of a recent string of resignations and firings.
- Jackson police will help provide Miss. State Fair security Updated: Oct-06-15 10:45 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Jackson will help provide police protection for the Mississippi State Fair, under an agreement that resolves a dispute between the city and the state.
- Ballot could confuse voters on school funding proposals Updated: Oct-06-15 6:06 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - People pushing a school funding proposal said Tuesday that Mississippi's largest county has taken an already confusing ballot format and made it worse.
- Jackson State fires Harold Jackson after less than 2 seasons Updated: Oct-06-15 5:40 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Jackson State has fired football coach Harold Jackson less than two seasons into his tenure.
- Hinds County, Jackson work on same voting precincts Updated: Oct-06-15 10:45 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Jackson and Hinds County have pledged to work together in an attempt to ensure city and county voting precincts are the same.
- Parts sold from biofuel plant that owes Mississippi $79M Updated: Oct-05-15 8:47 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Equipment from the failed KiOR biofuel plant in Columbus is being sold, but Mississippi taxpayers are likely to recover little of the $79 million that the state is seeking.
- Dispute over Miss. State Fair security set for court hearing Updated: Oct-05-15 6:43 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - State Agriculture Commissioner Cindy Hyde-Smith says there's no legal authority for her agency to pay Jackson police to help provide security for the Mississippi State Fair.
- Proposal would erase Confederate sign from Mississippi flag Updated: Oct-02-15 7:32 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A new proposal seeks a statewide election on removing the Confederate battle emblem from the Mississippi flag. But it could be years before the issue gets on the ballot, and there's no guarantee voters would accept it.
- New Jackson budget in effect; fee increases to follow Updated: Oct-02-15 6:20 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Jackson budget that went into effect Thursday includes revenue from proposed higher fees for admission to the Davis Planetarium, more for traffic accident reports, more to rent space at Smith Robertson Museum and Cultural Center, and more for other services.
- Musgrove to make new arguments in school funding lawsuit Updated: Oct-01-15 6:37 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Former Mississippi Gov. Ronnie Musgrove will make a new round of arguments later this month in a lawsuit seeking millions of dollars for 21 school districts.
- Child receives prosthetic hand made by student and teacher Updated: Oct-01-15 3:16 pm
FLOWOOD, Mississippi - For six years, Braden McCay has lived without his left hand. From homework to soccer, the first-grader has deftly maneuvered his way through life with one hand.
- Jackson receives $958K Deepwater Horizon payment Updated: Oct-01-15 6:32 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The city of Jackson has received $958,000 from a Deepwater Horizon claim even though the city was more than 150 miles from where any oil washed ashore.
- Miss. considering policy on restraint, seclusion in schools Updated: Sep-30-15 7:16 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Children's advocates are urging the Mississippi Department of Education to ban the use of seclusion and restraint in schools.
- City of Jackson pushes health care corridor Updated: Sep-29-15 10:35 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Jackson has created the first step toward establishing a health care corridor in the city in an effort to drive economic development around the area's medical facilities.
- Licensure hearing rescheduled for Mississippi teacher Updated: Sep-29-15 4:46 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A teacher charged with violating state law by cheating on state assessments has had her hearing rescheduled for next month.
- Ivy's 3 TD passes help Jackson St. top Texas Southern, 34-30 Updated: Sep-26-15 11:14 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - La Montiez Ivy completed 22 of 27 passes for 370 yards and three touchdowns, and Teddrick Terrell had a sack in the closing seconds to help Jackson State beat Texas Southern 34-30 on Saturday night.
- 3 Delta counties included in federal anti-poverty push Updated: Sep-26-15 7:16 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The federal government is tackling poverty in the southern reaches of the Mississippi Delta by focusing on the health of children and their parents' work and education prospects.
- National AIDS leader urges broader use of preventive drug Updated: Sep-26-15 11:48 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Federal officials are asking Mississippi health care providers to expand use of a medicine that can keep people from getting AIDS.
- Hazlehurst man killed in Hinds County wreck Updated: Sep-25-15 8:37 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Highway Patrol is investigating a deadly wreck in Hinds County.
- Miss. death sentence overturned, mental evaluation ordered Updated: Sep-24-15 5:54 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Supreme Court on Thursday overturned the death penalty of Erik Wayne Hollie, who pleaded guilty to killing a pawn shop owner and claiming God had led him to the shop.
- Baton Rouge company building new data center in Jackson Updated: Sep-24-15 1:55 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A business data company in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, has begun turning a former department store in Jackson, Mississippi, into a data center.
- Jackson police officer charged with illegally seizing cash Updated: Sep-24-15 1:00 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Jackson police officer has been arrested on charges that he was stealing money from suspected drug dealers.