- Superintendent: Jackson Public Schools in financial crisis Updated: May-03-16 1:34 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Jackson Public Schools district is facing a financial crisis prompted by decreased state funding, the schools superintendent said.
- Jackson contractor to go to prison for embezzlement Updated: May-03-16 1:11 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Jackson contractor will go to prison for not repairing a home after taking payment.
- LGBT rights protesters vow to keep fighting Mississippi law Updated: May-01-16 9:14 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Hundreds of supporters of lesbian, gay bisexual and transgender rights protested Sunday against a new Mississippi law they call discriminatory, saying they're not giving up their fight.
- State representative resigning to run Mississippi AARP group Updated: Apr-28-16 4:14 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A state representative is leaving the Legislature to lead the Mississippi chapter of the AARP.
- Disputed Mississippi witness now faces own murder charges Updated: Apr-27-16 8:16 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A man has been charged with murder in the shooting deaths of three people in a Mississippi county Wednesday, and authorities said the suspect is a onetime jailhouse informant whose testimony helped convict another man of four 1996 killings.
- The Latest: Shooting suspect was witness in past murder case Updated: Apr-27-16 7:25 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Latest on shootings in Mississippi that left three dead and one wounded (all times local):
- Rouse to lead Mississippi's College Board starting May 8 Updated: Apr-26-16 4:01 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Dr. Doug Rouse will become president of Mississippi's College Board on May 8, leading trustees who oversee the state's eight public universities.
- $10M Sanderson gift starts $100M drive for children's health Updated: Apr-25-16 8:17 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The CEO of Mississippi's largest publicly held company is pledging $10 million toward the expansion of pediatric medical facilities at the University of Mississippi Medical Center.
- Battle over Jackson airport takeover goes to federal court Updated: Apr-25-16 4:41 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A former commissioner of the Jackson airport is suing the state over a bill that would give control of the city's two airports to a state-appointed board.
- Analysis: Several legislators make impression in '16 session Updated: Apr-24-16 5:01 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi legislators last week ended their 2016 session, their first gathering of a four-year term. With 122 members in the House and 52 in the Senate, a few stood out from the crowd.
- Winners announced in 2016 MAPB contest Updated: Apr-23-16 10:31 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Winners of the Mississippi Associated Press Broadcasters contest were announced April 23 in Jackson, Mississippi. The MAPB awards recognize outstanding performance in broadcast journalism. The MAPB college competition recognizes outstanding performance in college broadcast journalism.
- The Latest: Michelle Obama tells grads to register and vote Updated: Apr-23-16 7:31 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Latest on Michelle Obama speaking at commencement at historically black Jackson State University (all times local):
- Michelle Obama urges grads to vote to protect civil rights Updated: Apr-23-16 7:29 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - First lady Michelle Obama told graduates of a historically black university in Mississippi on Saturday that "the power of voting is real and lasting" and they need to cast ballots to protect civil-rights advances made by previous generations.
- 2016 session: Tax cut, school changes; no new highway money Updated: Apr-22-16 2:12 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi legislators grabbed national attention during their 2016 session by voting to let workers cite their own religious objections to same-sex marriage to deny services to lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people.
- Jackson officials: Suspicious package at building no threat Updated: Apr-22-16 4:44 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A suspicious package has been detonated after officials say it was found outside a federal building in Jackson.
- Analysis: Republican supermajority brings results, division Updated: Apr-21-16 7:34 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - This was the year Republicans seized and wielded a supermajority in both houses of the Mississippi Legislature.
- Jackson man sentenced in death of 15-year-old girl Updated: Apr-21-16 11:23 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A 20-year-old Jackson man has been sentenced in the murder of a 15-year-old student at a Jackson high school.
- City of Clinton hires new police chief Updated: Apr-21-16 7:22 am
CLINTON, Mississippi - Clinton's new police chief says he's glad to be able to bring home a skill set he's been developing his entire career.
- Treasurer says borrowing too high, some projects unworthy Updated: Apr-20-16 8:55 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Treasurer Lynn Fitch is objecting to a bill passed by lawmakers to borrow money for construction projects, saying some of the projects are imprudent and she's worried about the state taking on too much debt.
- Bill to fund capital city improvements dies Updated: Apr-20-16 7:47 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Lawmakers have killed a proposal to create a state fund for improvements to parts of the capital city.
- Bryant says he will OK expansion of Jackson airport board Updated: Apr-20-16 7:42 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Republican Gov. Phil Bryant says he will sign a bill to expand the board of Mississippi's largest airport.
- Fixing Jackson water bill issues not simple Updated: Apr-20-16 7:45 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Jackson residents continue questioning the city's water department while the collection numbers indicate a crisis.
- Man paroled in conspiracy to photograph senator's ill wife Updated: Apr-19-16 8:06 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Mississippi blogger is out of prison after serving several months for sneaking into a nursing home to shoot unauthorized video of the ailing wife of U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran during the Southern Republican's hard-fought 2014 campaign.
- Mississippi House turns back limit on taking campaign cash Updated: Apr-19-16 2:29 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - With longtime members rebelling against changes, the Mississippi House voted down a bill that would have restricted personal use of campaign money.
- Aryan Brotherhood members convicted of racketeering, murder Updated: Apr-19-16 12:46 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Federal prosecutors say two members of the Aryan Brotherhood of Mississippi have been convicted on charges including racketeering and murder.