- Romania suspends emergency chiefs after nightclub fire Updated: Nov-25-15 8:38 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's Interior Ministry suspended three top emergency officials Wednesday following information that contradicted their claim they were unaware of the existence of a Bucharest nightclub where 60 people died in a fire.
- Mood for change: Demonstrators demand clean Romania Updated: Nov-08-15 1:48 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A nightclub fire in Bucharest that killed at least 45 people became the tipping point for many Romanians who have long been frustrated with corruption among leaders. But as the government resigned amid street protests this week, many remained skeptical that the leaderless street movement will succeed in doing away with the old order.
- The Latest: Thousands protest in Romania for 3rd day running Updated: Nov-05-15 3:37 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - The latest on the fallout from a fire at a Bucharest nightclub on Friday that left more than 30 dead. All times local.
- Romanian prosecutors start probe into legality of motorcades Updated: Nov-05-15 9:11 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's anti-corruption office has started a criminal probe into the legality of motorcades used by top officials, following the death of a police motorcyclist who was accompanying the interior minister.
- Romania buries fire hero as thousands protest against govt Updated: Nov-03-15 5:47 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A hero of a Bucharest nightclub fire that killed at least 32 people was buried Tuesday in a memorial service that drew hundreds of weeping mourners, while more than 20,000 others took to the streets of the capital to protest against the government following the tragic event.
- US nightclub fire victims lament deadly Romanian blaze Updated: Oct-31-15 6:36 pm
WEST WARWICK, Rhode Island - Survivors and families of victims of a deadly nightclub blaze in Rhode Island over a decade ago said Saturday the tragedy in Bucharest, Romania, was sadly and eerily similar.
- Interior minister: 27 dead in club fire in Bucharest Updated: Oct-30-15 11:14 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A heavy metal band's pyrotechnical show sparked a deadly fire Friday at a Bucharest nightclub, killing 27 people and injuring scores of the club's mostly youthful patrons, officials and witnesses said.
- Court: mayor charged with bribes, placed under house arrest Updated: Oct-29-15 7:50 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A court has ruled that the mayor of Bucharest, suspended from his post after he was arrested on bribery charges, will be held under house arrest.
- Probe wanted of Romanian minister for overusing motorcades Updated: Oct-28-15 12:09 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Human rights and anti-corruption groups called Wednesday for an investigation into whether Romania's interior minister abused his position by using too many motorcades, amid anger at the death of a police officer escorting him.
- Romania interior minister: I didn't know police officer died Updated: Oct-26-15 2:29 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's president advised the country's interior minister to resign Monday amid widespread public anger over the death of a police officer who was escorting the minister's motorcade.