- Judge suggests Goodell, Brady appear in court Aug. 12, 19 Updated: Jul-31-15 5:46 pm
NEW YORK - The federal judge handling Tom Brady's attempt to overturn his four-game suspension strongly suggested the New England quarterback and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell appear in court on Aug. 12 and 19.
- Mets add hitting help, trade for Detroit's Cespedes Updated: Jul-31-15 5:42 pm
NEW YORK - The Mets acquired slugging outfielder Yoenis Cespedes from Detroit on Friday in their strongest attempt yet to boost a punchless lineup that threatened to derail their postseason hopes.
- Correction: Drug Indictments Story Updated: Jul-31-15 5:40 pm
WHITE PLAINS, New York - In a story and headline July 28 about federal indictments, The Associated Press erroneously reported that one defendant was accused of running a heroin distribution ring while he was in state prison. During the time covered by the indictment, the defendant was in the Sullivan County Jail, not state prison.
- NYC officials: Legionnaire's outbreak claims 3rd life Updated: Jul-31-15 5:29 pm
NEW YORK - A third person with Legionnaire's disease has died as investigators continue to search for the source of an outbreak that has sickened dozens.
- Teacher killed in Oklahoma while on cross-country bike trek Updated: Jul-31-15 5:11 pm
CANUTE, Oklahoma - A New York high school teacher on a cross-country bicycle trip was killed on an Oklahoma highway when he was struck by a car whose driver acknowledged looking at her cellphone at the time, authorities said.
- The Latest: Cespedes, Haren, Revere traded at MLB's deadline Updated: Jul-31-15 5:04 pm
NEW YORK - Here are the latest developments as Major League Baseball hits a deadline Friday for trades where players do not first have to pass through waivers (all times Eastern):
- Ryan: Bills hiring Pat Meyer has no ties to Kromer's status Updated: Jul-31-15 4:41 pm
PITTSFORD, New York - Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan says Pat Meyer's addition to his staff has nothing to do with offensive line coach Aaron Kromer being placed on paid leave for allegedly punching a boy in Florida.
- Tannehill confident, hopeful of a breakthrough in 2015 Updated: Jul-31-15 4:35 pm
DAVIE, Florida - Not long after connecting on a deep pass Friday, Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill slapped hands with someone in celebration and was clearly smiling underneath his helmet.
- McCoy creates buzz as Buffalo Bills open training camp Updated: Jul-31-15 4:35 pm
PITTSFORD, New York - After LeSean McCoy's arrival in March excited much of the Buffalo Bills' fan base, the running back decided to give back on the first day of training camp.
- Runaway rail car kicked loose by teen hits New York station Updated: Jul-31-15 4:32 pm
UTICA, New York - Video surveillance footage released Friday shows a rail car that was accidentally set in motion by a 13-year-old boy ramming an antique locomotive into a train station, sending passengers waiting for a train scrambling for safety.
- Texas truck driver killed in New York State Thruway crash Updated: Jul-31-15 4:13 pm
LITTLE FALLS, New York - State Police on the New York State Thruway are investigating a fatal tractor trailer crash in upstate New York.
- No bail for man charged with trying to join Islamic State Updated: Jul-31-15 3:50 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Arafat Nagi had made an oath to the Islamic State group, outfitted himself to fight and had a one-way ticket to the Middle East at the time of his arrest, federal authorities said Friday.
- Smart Transition wins $100,000 Curlin Stakes at Saratoga Updated: Jul-31-15 3:45 pm
SARATOGA SPRINGS, New York - Arnold Zetcher's Smart Transition took the lead in mid-stretch and sprinted clear to a 4 3/4-length victory Friday in the $100,000 Curlin Stakes for 3-year-olds at Saratoga Race Course.
- Paul Simon joins U2 onstage at NYC's Madison Square Garden Updated: Jul-31-15 3:20 pm
NEW YORK - The special guests at U2's concert Thursday night included Paul Simon, Lou Reed's widow and the woman who called 911 when Bono fell off his bike in New York City last year.
- NY village makes ransom payments to keep computers running Updated: Jul-31-15 2:34 pm
ALBANY, New York - A village in central New York made ransom payments of $300 and $500 last year to keep its computers running after two official-looking emails released malware throughout its system, state auditors said.
- New York state picks 5 to grow, dispense medical marijuana Updated: Jul-31-15 2:16 pm
ALBANY, New York - The five companies picked to grow and dispense medical marijuana in New York include one run by a Minnesota physician, three with dispensaries in other states and another with a personal connection to those the state's new program aims to help.
- As NYC reservoir drops, upstate communities worry over river Updated: Jul-31-15 1:57 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York City officials are draining about a billion gallons of water a day from an upstate reservoir as they work urgently to plug a leak near its dam.
- Live TED talks this fall in New York to be broadcast on PBS Updated: Jul-31-15 1:13 pm
NEW YORK - PBS and the nonprofit group TED are teaming up to offer a six-night live event in New York this November with speakers including actor Adam Driver, musician Rufus Wainwright and author Sebastian Junger.
- Golovkin vs Lemieux in title fight Oct. 17 in New York Updated: Jul-31-15 12:51 pm
NEW YORK - Rising star Gennady Golovkin will meet Canada's David Lemieux in a middleweight title unification fight Oct. 17 at Madison Square Garden, promoters announced Friday.
- Astros, Blue Jays add pieces in trades to make playoff push Updated: Jul-31-15 12:10 pm
- New York City cuts fines on small businesses Updated: Jul-31-15 12:09 pm
NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio's administration says fines levied on New York City's small businesses have been cut in half.
- What's new in NFL? Plenty Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 am
NEW YORK - Bob Dylan sang about them. So did David Bowie.
- Dredged materials dumped into Long Island Sound spur debate Updated: Jul-31-15 11:01 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A long-simmering dispute over dumping dredged materials from rivers and harbors into Long Island Sound has flared up again with a new federal plan to govern disposal sites.
- Bills defensive end Williams passes physical, joins camp Updated: Jul-31-15 10:57 am
PITTSFORD, New York - The Buffalo Bills say defensive end Mario Williams has passed his physical and was activated in time for the team's opening practice at training camp.
- Cops: Woman drowns while trying to rescue daughter, 2nd girl Updated: Jul-31-15 10:49 am
EVANS, New York - Authorities in western New York say a 51-year-old woman drowned while trying to rescue her 11-year-old daughter and another girl from the rough waters of Lake Erie.