- South Africa: Rescued lions explore new home in sanctuary Updated: May-01-16 1:19 pm
Vaalwater, South Africa - Lions rescued from circuses in Colombia and Peru and airlifted to South Africa scratched their manes on trees and explored their new territory in the African bush after being released into a sanctuary north of Johannesburg Sunday.
- South Africa: Shoppers go to new mall, despite economy woes Updated: Apr-28-16 11:36 pm
JOHANNESBURG - South African shoppers flocked to the opening Thursday of one of Africa's largest malls outside Johannesburg, despite rising unemployment and slowing economic growth.
- South Africa: Treason case opened against opposition leader Updated: Apr-26-16 1:31 pm
JOHANNESBURG - South Africa's police minister says that a charge of high treason has been filed by the ruling party against an opposition party leader who threatened to remove the government "through the barrel of a gun."
- Statue of Nelson Mandela unveiled in West Bank Updated: Apr-26-16 1:03 pm
RAMALLAH, West Bank - A 6-meter-high (20-foot) bronze statue of Nelson Mandela has been unveiled in the West Bank city of Ramallah.
- South Africa: 49 starving monkeys rescued from cages Updated: Apr-24-16 5:36 am
JOHANNESBURG - Nearly 50 starving, dehydrated monkeys were rescued from cages at a garden nursery north of Johannesburg on Saturday.
- The NBA makes new play in Africa in pursuit of fans Updated: Apr-21-16 8:06 am
The NBA is making a new play for fans in Africa by splitting with the continent's biggest sports broadcaster and teaming up with a Zimbabwean telecommunications entrepreneur who started his first business with $75.
- Garbage piles up in Johannesburg as collectors strike Updated: Apr-04-16 11:36 am
JOHANNESBURG - Authorities in South Africa's biggest city have asked residents to be on the alert for rats, which are thriving because of a four-week strike by garbage collectors pressing for a salary increase.