- Muller of France wins women's 10k open water title at worlds Updated: Jul-28-15 9:24 am
KAZAN, Russia - There were medals at stake in the women's 10-kilometer open water race at the world swimming championships. A top-10 finish was just as good, though, since it secured a trip to next year's Olympics.
- Rio de Janeiro prisons seek to protect transgender inmates Updated: Jul-28-15 1:59 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - When Estefanie Ferraz went to prison, she had been living as a woman for around a decade, had undergone more than half a dozen plastic surgeries including breast and cheek implants to enhance her feminine looks, and was saving up for a sex change operation.
- Americans start looking toward Rio as Pan Am Games wind down Updated: Jul-22-15 4:29 pm
TORONTO - Alan Ashley isn't paying attention to the medal table at the Pan Am Games, but the American will be riveted to it at next year's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- Plan to launch Brazil's only slave memoir, revisit dark past Updated: Jul-17-15 12:13 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Taken from Africa and sold into slavery in Brazil, Mahommah Baquaqua's tale of escape to freedom in New York is the only known story of its kind, an in-depth, firsthand account of slavery in the South America country.
- Golf makes debut in Pan Am Games; Rio Olympics are next Updated: Jul-16-15 9:10 pm
TORONTO - Golf made its debut at the Pan American Games on Thursday, warming up for its return to the Olympic family next year in Rio de Janeiro after a 112-year absence.
- Canada feels power of home-field advantage at Pan Am Games Updated: Jul-15-15 5:53 pm
TORONTO - Canada feels the power of the home-field advantage at the Pan Am Games, and Brazil - the host of the Olympics next year in Rio de Janeiro - is watching.
- Brazil auditors say Rio subway may not be ready for Olympics Updated: Jul-07-15 3:39 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The extension of a subway line to the Olympic Park may not be ready before the games start August 2016, Brazilian auditors said Tuesday.
- Rio 2016 organizers unveil Olympic torch Updated: Jul-03-15 10:54 pm
BRASILIA, Brazil - Rio de Janeiro organizers unveiled the Olympic torch for the 2016 Games on Friday, saying it brings together "movement, innovation and Brazilian flavor."
- Police replace soldiers on security duty in big Rio slum Updated: Jun-30-15 4:56 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Police in Rio de Janeiro have finished replacing more than 2,000 soldiers who have been stationed in the Mare complex of shantytowns to improve security and drive out the drug gangs that ruled the slum for decades.