- Anaheim Ducks hire Rich Preston as 3rd assistant coach Updated: Oct-06-15 1:15 am
ANAHEIM, California - The Anaheim Ducks have hired Rich Preston as the third assistant coach on Bruce Boudreau's staff.
- Backers of California pension overhaul alter ballot language Updated: Oct-05-15 8:18 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Backers of a proposed ballot initiative to cut pension spending for California state and local government employees said Monday that they were dropping a measure proposed in June because state Attorney General Kamala Harris found that current employees would lose constitutionally protected vested pension benefits, and they will instead pursue an alternative aimed at avoiding that pitfall.
- Sharks forward Raffi Torres suspended for 41 games for hit Updated: Oct-05-15 7:33 pm
SAN JOSE, California - San Jose Sharks forward Raffi Torres was hit with the longest suspension in NHL history for a hit on another player when the league banned him Monday for the first 41 games of the season for an illegal check to the head of Anaheim's Jakob Silfverberg.
- Supreme Court rejects San Jose appeal over Athletics' move Updated: Oct-05-15 6:21 pm
OAKLAND, California - The Supreme Court rejected an appeal from the city of San Jose in its bid to lure baseball's Athletics from Oakland to the South Bay.
- California sheriff broadens investigation after inmate death Updated: Oct-01-15 1:25 pm
SAN JOSE, California - A California sheriff whose office has arrested three correctional deputies in the fatal beating of a mentally ill inmate says she is broadening her investigation of brutality complaints at Santa Clara County Jail.
- 49ers linebacker pleads not guilty to sexual battery Updated: Sep-29-15 1:50 pm
SAN JOSE, California - San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks has pleaded not guilty to sexual battery.
- Modi touts social media, tech development in Facebook visit Updated: Sep-28-15 12:50 am
MENLO PARK, California - Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi touted the power of social media and his own goals for developing India's tech economy on Sunday, speaking to a global audience from a "town hall" meeting at the headquarters of the world's largest social network.
- Earthquakes gets critical 1-0 win over Real Salt Lake Updated: Sep-27-15 9:35 pm
- Ervin leads San Jose State past Fresno State, 49-23 Updated: Sep-27-15 2:41 am
SAN JOSE, California - Tyler Ervin rushed for three touchdowns and a San Jose State single-game record 300 yards on Saturday night to help the Spartans beat Fresno State 49-23.
- San Jose police officer accused of rape while on duty fired Updated: Sep-24-15 7:15 pm
SAN JOSE, California - A San Jose police officer accused of raping a woman while on duty two years ago has been fired.
- Sunnyvale charter school closed after employee's arrest Updated: Sep-21-15 10:00 am
SUNNYVALE, California - A Sunnyvale charter school has been ordered to temporarily close following the arrest of a teacher's aide accused of molesting an 8-year-old student.
- Veteran Steve Smith Sr. to return punts for Ravens Updated: Sep-18-15 9:40 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Steve Smith Sr. went five years between punt returns and hasn't returned more than nine in a year since his Comeback Player of the Year season in 2005.
- 4 arrests in Levi's parking lot beating of Vikings fan Updated: Sep-18-15 7:11 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - The Santa Clara Police department says four people have been arrested on suspicion of felony assault in the beating of a Vikings fan outside Levi's Stadium following the San Francisco 49ers' 20-3 victory over Minnesota on Monday night. One was a season ticketholder.
- Sharks open 1st camp under new coach Peter DeBoer Updated: Sep-18-15 6:08 pm
SAN JOSE, California - For the first time in seven years, there was a new coach at the front of the room when the San Jose Sharks opened training camp.
- Judge sets $1.5 million bail for California jail guards Updated: Sep-18-15 6:04 pm
SAN JOSE, California - A judge set bail at $1.5 million each for the three jail guards accused of beating to death a Northern California inmate under their guard.
- San Jose airport to receive money to study airfield safety Updated: Sep-18-15 12:45 pm
SAN JOSE, California - The Mineta San Jose International Airport will receive nearly $1.5 million in federal funding to study improvements to airfield safety.
- Ravens will look to throw more deep balls against Oakland Updated: Sep-17-15 7:59 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Baltimore offensive coordinator Marc Trestman hasn't had any time to visit old haunting grounds this week in the Bay Area.
- Adobe 3Q results rise, but stock falls aftermarket Updated: Sep-17-15 6:46 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Software maker Adobe's net income and revenue climbed in its fiscal third quarter as its subscription revenue kept growing, but the company gave a disappointing fourth-quarter outlook and said the head of its largest business is leaving.
- Bekker nets equalizer, 10-man Impact tie Earthquakes 1-1 Updated: Sep-17-15 12:43 am
- Ravens newcomer Jason Babin could play Sunday Updated: Sep-16-15 10:44 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Jason Babin took part in the Baltimore Ravens' practice Wednesday with an eye toward playing Sunday against the Oakland Raiders.
- San Francisco judge tosses minor league baseball lawsuit Updated: Sep-16-15 5:47 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge dismissed an antitrust lawsuit filed by minor league players against Major League Baseball and its 30 teams.
- Ravens looking to fill void left by Terrell Suggs' injury Updated: Sep-14-15 8:40 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Baltimore coach John Harbaugh and his staff are trying to fill the void left by six-time Pro Bowl linebacker Terrell Suggs, who tore his Achilles heel during the fourth quarter of the Ravens' 19-13 loss to the Denver Broncos on Sunday.
- Martins salvages 1-1 draw for Sounders at Quakes Updated: Sep-13-15 1:13 am
SAN JOSE, California - Obafemi Martins scored on an over-the-shoulder volley in the 82nd minute and the Seattle Sounders salvaged a 1-1 tie with the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday night.
- New Sharks coach Pete DeBoer focuses on future not past Updated: Sep-12-15 9:16 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Pete DeBoer has spent little time since taking over as coach of the San Jose Sharks figuring what went wrong last year when the team missed the playoffs for the first time since 2003.
- Irish student hurt in balcony collapse recalls 'big rumble' Updated: Sep-11-15 5:09 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Niall Murray heard a "big rumble" and then saw two of his friends falling alongside him as the Berkeley, California, balcony they packed for a party snapped and dumped more than a dozen college students to the pavement below.