- Schumer to visit family of western NY sailor killed in '69 Updated: May-31-16 12:32 am
MAYVILLE, New York - U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer plans to meet with the family of a western New York sailor who's among the 74 fallen American servicemen Schumer wants added to the Vietnam War Memorial.
- Canisius hires Reggie Witherspoon as basketball coach Updated: May-28-16 12:45 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Reggie Witherspoon is returning home to Buffalo to coach the Canisius College basketball team.
- Business owners plead guilty to stealing $1M in New York tax Updated: May-27-16 12:27 am
BUFFALO, New York - Two brothers have admitted to stealing more than $1.2 million in New York state tax collected at seven gas stations they owned in the Buffalo area.
- NY authorities raid office of lobbyist tied to Cuomo, SUNY Updated: May-26-16 8:54 pm
ALBANY, New York - The New York attorney general's office on Thursday raided an office on SUNY Polytechnic Institute's Albany campus formerly used by Todd Howe, a lobbyist with deep connections to Gov. Andrew Cuomo who also is under scrutiny by federal authorities.
- Buffalo Sabres sign Karabacek, 2014 2nd-round draft pick Updated: May-26-16 2:00 pm
BUFFALO, New York - The Buffalo Sabres have signed prospect forward Vaclav Karabacek to a three-year entry-level contract.
- NY medical examiners overwhelmed by rise in overdose deaths Updated: May-26-16 7:18 am
BUFFALO, New York - Public health officials say medical examiners in the Buffalo area are overwhelmed by the number of opioid overdose deaths, resulting in long delays in getting autopsy reports to the families of the deceased.
- Bad week in Buffalo: from injuries to apologies Updated: May-25-16 6:33 pm
ORCHARD PARK, New York - Coach Rex Ryan stepped to the podium and immediately proclaimed the Buffalo Bills are "a zillion miles ahead" of where they were last year.
- NY board OKs $485M for Buffalo solar plant amid questions Updated: May-25-16 4:07 pm
ALBANY, New York - A state oversight board controlled by the Legislature and Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo has authorized spending $485 million to complete a solar panel production plant, the centerpiece of Cuomo's "Buffalo Billion" economic development program.
- The Latest: NY board OKs solar plant $485M amid questions Updated: May-25-16 2:25 pm
ALBANY, New York - The Latest on a New York oversight board's consideration of $485 million to complete a solar panel plant in Buffalo. (all times local):
- Buffalo Zoo's 1st lion cub in 25 years has a name: Tobias Updated: May-25-16 9:15 am
BUFFALO, New York - The first African lion cub to be born at the Buffalo Zoo in 25 years finally has an official name three months after his birth.
- NY teen pleads guilty in boating death of his girlfriend, 16 Updated: May-25-16 6:04 am
BUFFALO, New York - A western New York teenager has pleaded guilty in the boating accident death of his girlfriend last year.
- Buffalo women's basketball coach rewarded with 5-year deal Updated: May-24-16 6:03 pm
BUFFALO, New York - The University at Buffalo has rewarded women's basketball coach Felisha Legette-Jack with a new five-year contract after she led the Bulls to their first NCAA Tournament berth last season.
- WWII US spy vets group irked by cemetery name choice Updated: May-24-16 3:08 pm
ALBANY, New York - A new veterans cemetery to be built between Buffalo and Rochester will be named the Western New York National Cemetery, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs said Tuesday in an announcement that irked an organization of World War II spies.
- NY woman pleads guilty to fatally hurting infant daughter Updated: May-24-16 6:45 am
BUFFALO, New York - Authorities say a western New York woman has pleaded guilty to fatally injuring her 5-month-old daughter.
- Homeless, drug-addicted recruited for New York check scheme Updated: May-24-16 12:14 am
BUFFALO, New York - Police in New York are looking for the leaders of an illegal check-cashing operation that recruited homeless people and drug addicts.
- Famous Buffalo chicken wing bar reopens after fatal shooting Updated: May-23-16 7:58 am
BUFFALO, New York - The Buffalo bar credited with inventing the spicy chicken wings now known as Buffalo-style wings has reopened after one kitchen employee was killed and another was wounded in a shooting.
- Police investigating man's fatal shooting on Buffalo street Updated: May-23-16 7:25 am
BUFALO, New York - Police are investigating the fatal shooting of a man who was gunned down on Buffalo's east side.
- Official guilty of dumping sewage into New York creek Updated: May-21-16 12:12 am
BUFFALO, New York - A former employee of a western New York village admits he violated the federal Clean Water Act by dumping untreated sewage into a creek.
- Western NY man fined $30K for illegal ivory purchases, sales Updated: May-20-16 12:15 am
BUFFALO, New York - A western New York antiques dealer convicted of trafficking in elephant tusks and other prohibited wildlife has been fined $30,000 in federal court.
- New York identity thief going to prison for stealing $39,000 Updated: May-20-16 12:14 am
BUFFALO, New York - An identity thief who stole more than $39,000 worth of merchandise in a little over a month is going to prison.
- Man, 29, sentenced for killing member of rival Buffalo gang Updated: May-19-16 6:23 am
BUFFALO, New York - A 29-year-old man has been sentenced to 30 years in federal prison for fatally shooting a rival Buffalo street gang member seven years ago.
- Former western NY man sentenced for bilking IRS out of $2.3M Updated: May-18-16 12:10 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Federal prosecutors say a former western New York tax return preparer has been sentenced to two years in prison for filing more than 1,000 false returns that bilked the IRS out of $2.3 million.
- Fire in vacant Buffalo home damages 4 other houses Updated: May-18-16 7:19 am
BUFFALO, New York - Fire investigators are looking into what caused a vacant home to go up in flames in a Buffalo neighborhood where the blaze spread to four other houses.
- New York man headed to prison for dousing wife with gasoline Updated: May-18-16 6:50 am
BUFFALO, New York - A western New York man accused of hitting his wife in the head with a gas can and dousing her with gasoline with the intention of setting her ablaze has been sentenced to serve 2 1/3 to 7 years in prison.
- Buffalo crews help rescue 4 from 2 vessels on Lake Erie Updated: May-17-16 6:43 am
BUFFALO, New York - The U.S. Coast Guard says its Buffalo-based crews helped rescue four people who were aboard two vessels that sank in rough conditions on Lake Erie.